U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 1,759 times

Advertisements

Is there a certain type of job most people do from home? I hear a lot of people talking about working from home. I would love to work from home, but I don't know how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 11:06 AM

5,150 posts, read 2,603,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime31 View Post
Is there a certain type of job most people do from home? I hear a lot of people talking about working from home. I would love to work from home, but I don't know how.
Haha those of us who have worked from home in the past try to avoid it like the plague.

My boss recently asked me if I wanna work from home the bext few months instead of driving through snow to come into the office. I flat out said absolutely not.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:23 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,739,781 times
There are many jobs that you can work from home. Check Indeed.com and see if anything suits your needs.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:46 PM
ERH

1,144 posts, read 1,636,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime31 View Post
I replied in the other thread.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:47 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,791,070 times
I tried working from home once, but it didn't work too well.

On a typical day when I was supposed to be working, I'd get up, have breakfast, and then look at the Internet until noon. I'd tell myself I'd start working "right after lunch." Right after lunch came and I just couldn't get into it, so I'd tell myself I'd work "tonight." When tonight came, I'd usually end up putting everything off until the next day. In short, I had a hard time actually doing any work at home.

I finally decided it was much easier just to put on some clothes and drive over to the office. I could be there in 10 minutes and once there, I could work, no problem.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:16 PM

3,410 posts, read 3,546,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I tried working from home once, but it didn't work too well.

On a typical day when I was supposed to be working, I'd get up, have breakfast, and then look at the Internet until noon. I'd tell myself I'd start working "right after lunch." Right after lunch came and I just couldn't get into it, so I'd tell myself I'd work "tonight." When tonight came, I'd usually end up putting everything off until the next day. In short, I had a hard time actually doing any work at home.

I finally decided it was much easier just to put on some clothes and drive over to the office. I could be there in 10 minutes and once there, I could work, no problem.
Facing this same issue. On my 5th month working remotely. Love working in my pj's or sweats and being able to make a quick run when I need to. However, having a hard time sticking with a consistent schedule. Finding myself on the computer at all times of the night. Think I would be more productive in an office environment with a consistent 8 hour schedule.

Just do a search for remote or telecommute positions. They are out there. Inbox me with your job title if you want a lead. I

Old 12-08-2015, 05:53 PM

7,221 posts, read 4,185,059 times
Software development has a lot of flexibility here. Ability to work go either full time remote or work in an office and work from home a few days a week. Which is what I like. Would not want to be full time remote. But 2-3 days a week is nice.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:59 PM

12,590 posts, read 15,058,526 times
I work from a home office, in technology sales. Lots of conference calls, emails, presentations via Webex (all done from home), then travel to client sites.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:00 PM

3,541 posts, read 2,234,289 times
I do all of my office work/report writing from home although I do go out on the road to inspect houses which provides some variety. After 23 years, I think the best way is to have a completely separate office to work in. I live in a 3 story townhouse and my office is in the bonus room downstairs. Other than the occasional bathroom break, I NEVER go upstairs during the workday. It just takes discipline. Unfortunately, I do find myself sneaking down to the office "after work" to get a start on tomorrow or check emails. I always tell people, "I never go to work, but I'm ALWAYS at work". That part takes discipline too.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,794 posts, read 54,455,776 times
I am a manager in an office, and work from home as needed, such as having an appointment in the middle of the day close to home, or on a rare snow day. My staff can do the same, some with scheduled weekly telecommute days. In out IT department, about 1/4 of the workers are telecommuting daily except for when there is a meeting. Where I worked before, the customer service people (utility) that answer the phones are all telecommuting, with software on their company-installed phones that tracks their activity. In all cases that I am aware of, the job became home based only after the person had passed probation and proven themselves proficient and reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or