U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 07:02 AM

549 posts, read 437,103 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for a job several months ago. The interview appeared to go well, but they elected to go with other candidates. I can't say for sure but I suspect there was concern about my education and future wage expectations (ie, could make far more $ elsewhere). However this is the job I want and I'm kicking myself for not selling it better.

I'm considering writing to the department head and asking about an internship. This would be unsolicited. I
The company has ongoing internship applications students can fill out, which I did last Feb. Never heard anything, then applied for an opening over the summer. I am wondering if I should resubmit an internship application with this firm just to reiterate my interest and possibly get my foot in the door? Or is that overkill...maybe I should wait for another opening and reapply with a re-engineered CL/materials? I don't want to be "that person," the one whose apps get auto dismissed as a desperate pest.

Another option is applying for an internship with another company (still in the same field). Same thing, it would be unsolicited so the chances anything would come from it are slim. What do employers think about requests for informational interviews?

What's a good next move here? Has anyone else been passed on for a dream job and somehow worked their way in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 PM

549 posts, read 437,103 times
I just put out a nice little email inquiring about internships. I know it's unlikely but heck even a 1 percent chance is better than none. I can't believe how hard I'm stressing about landing a job, and I still have to get through my last semester!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or