U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 4,147 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I recently accepted a job transfer (and promotion) within my organization. My manager knows my soon-to-be manager, and they both knew of my intent to apply for and accept the new position. Current manager is happy for me, but obviously stressed to lose a team member.

After I officially accepted the offer and a transfer date was decided upon by all, I began letting people in the office know here and there. Mostly by person and no group emails. I also posted an excited announcement to my personal Facebook page, since everything had been made official. This was all last week.

This morning, I get an email from a guy I work with often in one of our client groups (I am in marketing for a hospital and we serve clients within hospital divisions.) He congratulated me, although I was puzzled how he found out.

In any case, I get a rather hasty email from my (soon to be former) boss saying:

Please hold off on telling clients about your change in position until we're able to give them an exact next step. There is already confusion. We will talk about this today.

I responded by casually saying I haven't told any of our clients directly, but that he must have heard from Facebook or a mutual friend or something.

Am I right to be annoyed that she is asking me this? I've checked and triple checked our social media policy, and it does not prohibit making staffing announcements to personal FB pages. In fact, I think it would be pretty wrong of her to prohibit anything I say on my own page, provided it is not negative or defamatory.

Anyway, curious to get others opinions on the matter. I will be talking with her about it this afternoon, and of course being ever tactful, deferential, and polite as I always am with superiors.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 09:49 AM

1,553 posts, read 922,026 times
Not sure why you think the manager is upset. I think she is concerned about creating churn that may unsettle clients.

I do think it is bad form to post announcements prior to the actual position change occurring. You are certainly excited for the new opportunity, but save the announcement for when you officially have a new position. Managers should be the ones sending personnel notices inside or outside the company, not the employee themselves.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Interesting perspective, unihills. I agree that she probably isn't upset, but do you really think that my manager should be the one announcing to my personal friends and acquaintances? I think posting an update that I accepted a new promotion is perfectly acceptable. Just my two cents!

Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 AM

9,810 posts, read 17,043,003 times
You shouldn't be puzzled by anyone finding out information you tell others or post on social networking sites.

Your supersvisor did not say that she wanted to tell your friends and family -- you are simply making that up. Your supervisor is concerned about business continuity and clients getting stressed out.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:17 AM

1,553 posts, read 922,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM30 View Post
Interesting perspective, unihills. I agree that she probably isn't upset, but do you really think that my manager should be the one announcing to my personal friends and acquaintances? I think posting an update that I accepted a new promotion is perfectly acceptable. Just my two cents!
Never said your manager should be sending notices to your personal friends and acquaintances. I just said you should save that for when you are officially in your new position.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:17 AM

Hey Joe from Dayton, you seem like an agreeable fellow.

A) I didn't say my manager wanted to tell my friends and family. My previous post was in reference to something a previous commenter said.

B) I know she is concerned about the clients worries, but I think the sign of a good manager is to not get stressed about staffing changes and also be in control of a fluid situation.

C) I'm not puzzled in the slightest that word got out, most likely stemming from my FB post. I just don't think it's wrong of me to be happy about telling my friends and family I got promoted.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:23 AM

6,478 posts, read 3,474,605 times
No you should not be annoyed.

When there are clients under a person (you), and that changes, a company has certain ways to transition clients to someone new. If a client finds out about it from someone else first, it's the client who may panic and that will get back to your boss. It's not that you were wrong telling friends and family, but depending on the business, clear expectations and timing should be communicated to you, which it appears it was not.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:29 AM

5,930 posts, read 6,744,480 times
Social media is where you go to post gossip, rumors, nonsense and pictures of your baby drooling. It is NOT where you go to make formal announcements of promotions, job changes, and career moves. Especially when there are clients involved who might see things before they get a formal announcement from the employer/company that things are going to change vis a vis their account. Nobody likes upheaval. They especially don't like to read about upheaval in the Enquirer.

If you must play around in public, keep your social media activity private, and definitely don't post work related stuff out there. Celebrate promotions and career upgrades in private and be discreet, tactful and reserved about who knows of your career moves. Less is always more in these matters.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:01 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,452,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM30 View Post
After I officially accepted the offer and a transfer date was decided upon by all, I began letting people in the office know here and there. Mostly by person and no group emails. I also posted an excited announcement to my personal Facebook page, since everything had been made official. This was all last week.
What makes you think it was your FB posting that was "leaked"?
The protocol is to allow your current boss to announce your transfer (and transition plan) before you tell anyone in the office.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,932 posts, read 54,667,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What makes you think it was your FB posting that was "leaked"?
The protocol is to allow your current boss to announce your transfer (and transition plan) before you tell anyone in the office.
Exactly, you should not be the one announcing this to anyone except maybe your immediate family. It's the manager you will be working for who should make the announcement after all of the i's are dotted and t's crossed on the paperwork, starting date set, and interim plans made for coverage by your previous boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or