U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 PM

6,620 posts, read 3,746,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
The thread title has been the story of my life.

I had an interview yesterday for a job I really really wanted. Pretty much exactly what I want.

They had me go from 930 to 1pm. Five different interviews, it was pretty intense.

Overall, I was pretty happy with how I did when I left. Solid 8 out of 10.

Already received an email a few hours ago stating I didn't get the job.

I'm SUPER frustrated. This is the 4th or so big interview in the last few years, never get the job. I keep getting jobs I don't really want.

I wasn't very nervous, remained calm and true to myself. I know I got too nervous with prior interviews.

I'm really annoyed with my current job. I've made wise financial decisions, if I really wanted...I could quit, move back to my parents, and figure things out for a long long time. However, I'm 30 and I don't want to do that. And that wouldn't look good resume wise even though its looking more and more appealing.

I'm pretty much lost on how to proceed with my career. Getting a masters isn't very helpful in my line of work. I tried getting a industry license but all the classes are online and books. I miserably failed the test after reading the entire book. I'm an audio learner so I need lectures and they don't offer anything like that.
This happens to everyone. My guess is that what you're applying for are plum jobs that others are applying for, and the co. found someone closer to perfect than you. It happens. It doesn't even mean their choice was the right choice.

I was on a second interview. I was high on the list. I didn't get it. I found out later that while they were interiewing me on one floor, they were interviewing someone else on another floor, and she was perfect, so they hired her on the spot. Funny thing is, I retired early later, and worked there on a contract basis for a short while, where I learned that the woman they hired had not worked out at all. It was a nightmare that culminated in her walking out while htey were all working in a trial out of town. She left the whole team high and dry.

If you are employed now, stay employed. And keep interviewing. It'll happen.

Things to think about: Are you asking for the money that's in line for the job, or are you on the high end? Someone asking for less may edge you out. Is there anything in your background that's a black mark? A criminal charge for an NSF check, bad credit score? They run background checks and sometimes credit checks. Is your work history the norm for your age? At your age you would've moved around a bit, but you should have proven staying ability with some company by now. You are young, so I assume you look healthy and energetic?

If you don't have special issues to overcome, it'll happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 09:56 PM

11,295 posts, read 21,751,978 times
Ask the college you graduated from if they have career development services for alumni. If yes, then request a mock interview from them and get feedback. Of course not every school has good staff in the Career Services department, but it may be worth a try.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:10 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,924,127 times
Reading this thread reminds me of why I'm so happy to be retired. When I was working, you were interviewed by H.R., then the hiring manager and maybe a level above. Depended how high up on the food chain the position was. Now I hear they have group interviews, group performance reviews, etc. etc. It's got to be tough in today's market, I don't envy you guys. All I can say is, when I was hiring people, I hired the ones who were confident and kind of "sold" me on themselves....but there was a fine line between being confident and c ocky. Good luck to you!

Old 12-10-2015, 06:40 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,856,920 times
It's happened to me. I had two great interviews with a daycare company that takes care of children of executives, etc. Demonstrated my competency, answered every question accurately, did much better than I had done on an interview, only to find out they hired an internal candidate.

Had a great interview at the mayors office of contracts, only to find out they hired someone, but didn't bother to let me know I was out of the running.

It happens. Just keep trying, ask for feedback whenever possible, and keep reinventing yourself.

Our time will come.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:42 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,856,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
The irony is that this statement tells me exactly why I wouldn't hire you. I'm sure others feel the same as evidenced by your lack of success.
Why, because there's some truth to what he's saying?

Old 12-10-2015, 06:46 AM

3,033 posts, read 2,191,269 times
BTDT! What ticks me off even more are the ones who dont let you know anything!!

Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 AM

3,664 posts, read 6,485,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
Dont feel bad OP. Ive had 16 interviews in my line of work, in the past 14 months. Denied all 16 times. I have 24 years of experience ( 2 jobs in 24 years) & Im a 4 year military veteran. It means NOTHING today. Its like your walking rubbish to these HR people UNLESS you answer their psycho-babble interview questions "properly".
If you think or know that they are going to ask "psycho-babble" type questions.. then it's on you to answer them the way they want

Old 12-10-2015, 08:07 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,588,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Why, because there's some truth to what he's saying?
Well there is no truth here, only opinion. Wait, there is one fact...the op gets interviews, but cant get past the them to get an offer. While anecdotal in nature, it would appear that he meets the qualifications on paper, but in person isn't likable, or completely collapses under questioning. neither trait will endear the OP to a hiring manager. As another person pointed out, if you know what they want, why not just do it? If the OP truly believes in his comments, then they are going to come out in his words, actions and mannerisms. The interviewers will see this and it is a complete turn off to hiring team or manager.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:13 AM

3,032 posts, read 3,791,016 times
My advice is -- tape up a word document that has 99 NO's and 1 YES at the end. If you interviewed beyond a phone screen, but get denied... cross of a NO. then remind yourself, you are one NO closer to a YES. that helped motivate me

Old 12-10-2015, 08:14 AM

99 posts, read 92,494 times
Sometimes people think they did well but they actually flunked pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or