U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 06:44 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,427,500 times

Advertisements

My opinion: You did very well or they wouldn't have kept you so long. They probably had someone else in mind before they even considered you and you (being such a good candidate) threw a wrench in the works. So they argued about who should get the job and the ones who wanted you lost out. Don't look back. Push forward. There's something out there that's better. And people will appreciate you when you find that next good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 07:19 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,228,783 times
Or maybe OP was one of several candidates that they gave a good look at and unfortunately, he/her just didn't come out as the #1 prospect. It happens. Buck up and move on...

Old 12-10-2015, 07:32 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,612,250 times
I was 2nd choice for a job. They hired the 1st choice but they hired me 2 months later when the 1st choice didn't work out.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:53 PM

2,243 posts, read 1,463,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
The thread title has been the story of my life.

I had an interview yesterday for a job I really really wanted. Pretty much exactly what I want.

They had me go from 930 to 1pm. Five different interviews, it was pretty intense.

Overall, I was pretty happy with how I did when I left. Solid 8 out of 10.

Already received an email a few hours ago stating I didn't get the job.

I'm SUPER frustrated. This is the 4th or so big interview in the last few years, never get the job. I keep getting jobs I don't really want.

I wasn't very nervous, remained calm and true to myself. I know I got too nervous with prior interviews.

I'm really annoyed with my current job. I've made wise financial decisions, if I really wanted...I could quit, move back to my parents, and figure things out for a long long time. However, I'm 30 and I don't want to do that. And that wouldn't look good resume wise even though its looking more and more appealing.

I'm pretty much lost on how to proceed with my career. Getting a masters isn't very helpful in my line of work. I tried getting a industry license but all the classes are online and books. I miserably failed the test after reading the entire book. I'm an audio learner so I need lectures and they don't offer anything like that.
SOMETIMES companies post jobs only meant to go to an INTERNAL person (that's already picked), but they are forced to interview outside candidates.

Perhaps that's what's going on here. If so, you did nothing wrong as you couldn't have gotten the job anyway, nobody could have, except the already picked person.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:39 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,587,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
SOMETIMES companies post jobs only meant to go to an INTERNAL person (that's already picked), but they are forced to interview outside candidates.
By who?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:43 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,587,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
But not everyone is unlikable. Not everyone is this imperfect human being that inteviwers shy away from.
Well those are two different issues. If you are not likable, fair or not, you are pretty much screwed and destined to a tough life. As for imperfect, if you arent the perfect fit, why would they hire you? Why would you want to work there? The costs are too high to make a wrong hiring decision. In many companies, the manager is graded as part of his annual review on quality of hires. A failed higher makes everyone look bad.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:28 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,070,961 times
Did you ask why they did not select you? If you knew you could adjust your interview style accordingly.
Nothing changes if nothing changes

Old 12-10-2015, 10:40 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,441,709 times
Let me add a few things.

They gave me one of three days. Assuming they needed to do these series of interviews, I assumed they were interviewing six people.

After the interviews, they sent me to HR. The HR rep said they are interviewing 4 people total, 25% chance. They'd give me an answer by the end of the week.

I'm guessing I bombed since they let me know less than 24 hours later.

Industry wise, there are only two major software insurance related companies. I applied for the other about three months ago and had a series of phone interviews with that company for a different position. That one was OK but it wasn't something I would want to do forever. It involved a lot of traveling. Something cool for a few years and use that experience to get a job with less traveling. They ended up passing on me as I didn't have the exact experience they wanted.

My experience, when there is only one position available...I never get it. I'm always the 2nd most qualified person for the jobs I really want.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:41 PM

199 posts, read 201,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Unfortunately, 8 out of 10 isn't going to cut it in today's competitive job market. Have you received any feedback (positive and/or negative) from any of the interviews? Often times, a candidate can be sending the wrong signals by being over confident they will be the chosen one or they are so afraid of making a mistake they mess the interview up big time.

What industry are you looking in?
Wow just reading this thread makes me depressed
I wish we live back in the days were it was more easier to get a job rather than compete heavily

Old 12-11-2015, 06:11 AM

11,264 posts, read 8,427,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Let me add a few things.

They gave me one of three days. Assuming they needed to do these series of interviews, I assumed they were interviewing six people.

After the interviews, they sent me to HR. The HR rep said they are interviewing 4 people total, 25% chance. They'd give me an answer by the end of the week.

I'm guessing I bombed since they let me know less than 24 hours later.

Industry wise, there are only two major software insurance related companies. I applied for the other about three months ago and had a series of phone interviews with that company for a different position. That one was OK but it wasn't something I would want to do forever. It involved a lot of traveling. Something cool for a few years and use that experience to get a job with less traveling. They ended up passing on me as I didn't have the exact experience they wanted.

My experience, when there is only one position available...I never get it. I'm always the 2nd most qualified person for the jobs I really want.
Sorry if I missed it but how many times has this happened to you?

I bet I've interviewed for dozens of jobs that I didn't get. There are lots of reasons but I urge you: Don't look back. Press on. It's a moot point. I've also been hired about a dozen times. The last 3 times without interviews. Just job offers.

Do you ever follow up and ask for ways to improve your interview techniques? Sometimes there's something that you might not realize - something simple. Or take a class or study things on the internet about being a great candidate.

Please don't be discouraged!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or