U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:43 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,870,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Well those are two different issues. If you are not likable, fair or not, you are pretty much screwed and destined to a tough life. As for imperfect, if you arent the perfect fit, why would they hire you? Why would you want to work there? The costs are too high to make a wrong hiring decision. In many companies, the manager is graded as part of his annual review on quality of hires. A failed higher makes everyone look bad.
Well, this is why it's exceedingly hard to find a job these days. Heavy competition and being too picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 08:31 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,147,897 times
Quote:
Well those are two different issues. If you are not likable, fair or not, you are pretty much screwed and destined to a tough life. As for imperfect, if you arent the perfect fit, why would they hire you? Why would you want to work there? The costs are too high to make a wrong hiring decision. In many companies, the manager is graded as part of his annual review on quality of hires. A failed higher makes everyone look bad.
I've hired enough people to know that there is rarely a perfect fit. And many times when you do think you have found the perfect fit, that employee doesn't work out. Some people are great interviewers and lousy employees. Some people are lousy interviewers and excellent employees. It's just how it is.

I don't think you need to automatically assume you are "unlikable". That is one explanation out of countless explanations. There are an endless number of reasons why one person is hired over another person, many of which are highly specific to the particular organization. Also, keep in mind that many times hiring decisions are made with a strong comparison to the last incumbent in that position. They might be looking for someone exactly like the previous employee or completely different. I recently interviewed for a position and was told the other candidate was hired because he was exceptionally outgoing and sociable. This wasn't one of the posted "job requirements", but the last person in that position had been an extreme introvert so they wanted to go in the complete opposite direction.

My point is don't be hard on yourself. Look at what you did and try to improve on it, but understand that hiring decisions are often made for reasons that have little to do with you.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:06 AM

5,382 posts, read 2,202,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I'm in the insurance industry. This interview was for a software company who handles the software many insurance companies use to process claims.
I feel your pain! Historically, I more often than not would get a job offer after an interview and I never worried about whether or not I would get the job. Fast forward to the past 2 years. Although, I had a job, I was still actively looking and went on at least 10 -12 interviews, would be strung along for weeks until I would get the call on Friday telling me that they went with another candidate. The job market today is TOTALLY different than even 3-4 years ago. I don't know what the reason is for the change, other than I am older and have a level of experience and background that commands a higher salary, or that the market is focused on younger workers. I just don't know.

But, there is a happy ending. I interviewed for a position in a company that I really wanted. I was not selected, but there was another similar position (which was not directly related to my background, but my skills are transferable) and I was called back into to interview on that track, and I did get the job offer.

The moral of the story is, keep getting out there and don't get frustrated or give up. Do something everyday to move your job search forward. Update your LinkedIn profile. Check every job board. Go to the companies you might like to work for and search their career pages for potential jobs. Join a Meet-up group that involves the work you do or would like to do, so you can make connections.

It is not an easy process, getting a job today, but if you put positive energy into the search, I am sure you will be rewarded with a job offer.

Just knowing that there are a lot of us out here that have experienced the same frustration and concern, should give you at least some comfort in the fact that this isn't something only you are dealing with!

Good luck!!

Old 12-11-2015, 09:57 AM

27 posts, read 23,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
My advice is -- tape up a word document that has 99 NO's and 1 YES at the end. If you interviewed beyond a phone screen, but get denied... cross of a NO. then remind yourself, you are one NO closer to a YES. that helped motivate me
Listen, you're in a rut. Change your mentality and do it now. The above comment is exactly what you need to do. It's what I did and it helped hearing no so often and understanding the process. That fact that you keep getting the interview is a positive. Hang in there, we're about the same age and I know the struggle.

And don't move back in with your parents if you don't have to. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:09 AM

5,066 posts, read 3,240,762 times
Quote:
The thread title has been the story of my life.

I had an interview yesterday for a job I really really wanted. Pretty much exactly what I want.

They had me go from 930 to 1pm. Five different interviews, it was pretty intense.

Overall, I was pretty happy with how I did when I left. Solid 8 out of 10.

Already received an email a few hours ago stating I didn't get the job.

I'm SUPER frustrated. This is the 4th or so big interview in the last few years, never get the job. I keep getting jobs I don't really want.

I wasn't very nervous, remained calm and true to myself. I know I got too nervous with prior interviews.

I'm really annoyed with my current job. I've made wise financial decisions, if I really wanted...I could quit, move back to my parents, and figure things out for a long long time. However, I'm 30 and I don't want to do that. And that wouldn't look good resume wise even though its looking more and more appealing.

I'm pretty much lost on how to proceed with my career. Getting a masters isn't very helpful in my line of work. I tried getting a industry license but all the classes are online and books. I miserably failed the test after reading the entire book. I'm an audio learner so I need lectures and they don't offer anything like that.
Another "Purple Squirrel" story...It happens all the time now.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:30 PM

2,090 posts, read 2,044,015 times
Quote:
By who?
Government agencies or companies that are contracted to the government are typically required to publicly post their positions to external sources even if they already have a groomed candidate waiting. Some large organizations also require this to force management into looking at outside talent, although it doesn't always happen in reality.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Today in larger cities, if it is a decent job with decent pay there will be anywhere from 100 to 1,000 applicants.

Lets say, only 10% of those applicants, will be anywhere near qualified to fill the position.

Of those they may interview 10 to 15 people (the most qualified on paper).

They will only be able to hire one of those.

OP you said you nailed it 8 out of 10. All that happened, was someone nailed it 10 out of 10 and got the job. Being 8 out of 10 for a good job is not good enough today. It takes 10 out of 10 to get the job (always has).

When you apply for a job, you have to be a salesperson. You have to sell the HM on the idea, you are the best for the job. If you fail to make the sale, you do not get the job.

Lets look at as a salesperson would do, imagine you are making a sales call on the HM. You really are, you are there to sell yourself as the best applicant for the job.

#1: When you meet the HR or HM holding the interview, you have to do as the salesperson does. A big smile, and a firm handshake showing you are happy to be able to take a few minutes of this HM person's time. That first 15 seconds of meeting the HM will either make the HM happy to be interviewing you, or turning them off completely on you and sorry they have to waste any more time on you. As someone back in my Corporate Life, I am speaking with experience and had the same opinion from many other HM over the years. This first impression, is the most important part of the whole interview, and few applicants even realize it. It is just as a salesman that does not make a good first impression, is not going to get the order. Speaking from being a salesman, sales manager, or real estate broker from 1954 till I finally retired.

#2: There is no such thing, as a stupid question or physio babble questions. They are asked, to find how you react, and can handle things thrown at you, that you are not expecting. They show whether you can think on your feet, and solve problems. If you can be thrown clear off by being asked a question of any type you are not expecting, then the HM is going to figure you would do the same, if a sudden problem showed up at work.

#3: Be articulate when answering questions. Don't mumble. This ability to clearly explain your answer, is the difference between getting and not getting the job. This is where so many applicants fall down and do not get the job.

#4: Be excited about the prospect of working there. Don't act like it is just another job you are applying for. This is another place, that most failed applicants lose the job. They really do not appear to want the job, but are just interviewing for it. Or they make the HM feel they would love the job, but know they really will not be qualified for the job.

#5: Don't feel you nailed the interview and did an 8 out of 10 performance as the OP said he felt he did. If you don't feel you did a 10 out of 10 performance, realize you are not getting the job.

#6: No matter how nervous you may feel, or how upset with getting questions you have not practiced, never let the HR or HM interviewer know it. You have to stay acting confident you are the person for the job throughout the interview. Give them the salesman's farewell. At the end of he interview, you have to still be smiling, another firm handshake, and thank them for interviewing you. Let them know how glad you are for having met them.

I have read a lot of posts by applicants that thought they should have gotten the job. They had done well in the interview, but they got really nervous (it shows). Or they had only failed one part in their opinion, when they could not come up with a good answer to a question they had not practiced for. Etc., Etc., Etc. If you do not sell the HR or HM interviewer on you as a person (not just able to do the work) that co-workers will be welcoming into the company because they like you, you are not going to get the job.
+1 for best answer of the day

Old 12-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Wow just reading this thread makes me depressed
I wish we live back in the days were it was more easier to get a job rather than compete heavily
The only time I remember when "it was more easier" was when I was applying at the local fast food place. Since being more growed up I have found competition pretty challenging for the rewarding career-type positions.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:17 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,937,488 times
Quote:
Let me add a few things.

They gave me one of three days. Assuming they needed to do these series of interviews, I assumed they were interviewing six people.

After the interviews, they sent me to HR. The HR rep said they are interviewing 4 people total, 25% chance. They'd give me an answer by the end of the week.

I'm guessing I bombed since they let me know less than 24 hours later.
Actually, I don't think it's accurate to say you had a 25% chance of getting the job. They may have been interviewing 4 people, but it's always possible that the hiring manager/committee will decide that none of the candidates interviewed are the right fit. Several times, we've had to expand our search and bring in another pool of candidates to interview because none in the first batch were what we were looking for.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:34 PM

8 posts, read 4,667 times
Nobody on this site knows enough about you, the job/employer and conditions of the interview to give you valuable insight. You have to keep on going though. Believe it or not you’ll get through this too. Just like you have gotten through everything in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or