U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM

196 posts, read 195,532 times

Advertisements

OP, DON'T GIVE UP!

I had a dream a couple of years ago of moving to the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina. I'm in the tech industry and knew it would be *very* difficult to find an I.T. job in that part of the country. I saw a position open up that I though I was qualified for. I made it to the phone interview and I thought it went really well. I didn't get the job or even a call back which discouraged me. Looking back at my situation now, I realize it didn't go quite as well as I thought. --->

Literally a MONTH later, another position opened up at the same place that I was even more qualified for. I applied to this one and got an email response asking for some more info. Before I even responded to the email, I made the DECISION that I was absolutely going to get this job no matter what. It wasn't even an option. They wanted to do a phone interview ( I lived in Florida at the time) 2 days later with the team I would be working with and grill me technically and socially. I asked if I could do the interview the following week if at all possible and the hiring manager agreed. I was VERY cordial and down to earth in my initial email.

This gave me about 6 days to bone up on the software package they needed me to know that I hadn't used in about 4 years. I dug in and literally GRINDED it out for all 6 days (not including having to be at work every day) and stayed up until very late hours. I kept picturing in my mind how badly I wanted to be in the mountains and what I would sacrifice and give to live there. It made my frame of mind so positive. I was *determined* to not only nail the technical aspects, but to focus really hard on hitting it off with the people that would be on the phone interview.

The phone interview couldn't have gone any better. I don't think I've ever hit it off with a group of people I don't know like this before. I was POSITIVE about everything. Not cocky, just genuinely gracious and appreciative to be having there time for the interview. I did well on the technical part, but the human part was what was off the charts. We were all just chatting by the end and talking about why I wanted to move up there and what I liked to do outdoors etc.

The key is to either know who you are going to be talking to, or to have the ability to very quickly read them so that you can have meaningful and natural conversations that will make both parties feel more comfortable with the interview process.

I got the job after they flew me up for an in-person interview that went even better. My now manager told me that it was my personality and us hitting it off that sold him more than anything else. He knew that once the human element was established that everything would be fine.

BE POSITIVE POSITIVE POSITIVE and HAPPY on your interview! There is a fine line between confident/positive and cocky that is almost intangible. Keep at it brother. The more positive (and genuinely happy) you are in these interviews, the more you increase your chances. Also remember what others have already said: There may have just been that one person that fit in perfect and there was never anything you were going to be able to do about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 PM

780 posts, read 509,730 times
Just keep going. I was unemployed for months, even hitting second interviews, thinking that I got it, but didn't.

With my job now, I was surprised they hired me. They gave me a starting salary and I asked for more. I honestly didn't even think they'd say yes and I'm very surprised they didn't ask me any computer questions, specially because my position started as IT help desk.

I say just keep going. Keep doing your best. If it's meant to be for you, you'll get it.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:31 PM

368 posts, read 315,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
The irony is that this statement tells me exactly why I wouldn't hire you. I'm sure others feel the same as evidenced by your lack of success.
The real irony is, you are obviously a pompous dolt & the truth doesnt seem to appeal to your condescending style of liking. Glad I could clear that up for you,though

Old 12-11-2015, 06:45 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,465,887 times
Thanks for the kind words all.

I currently have a field job right now. They were concerned about how I would handle being back in an office. I have 4 years of being in the office so I know what its like.

My answer to their concern was the truth but I suppose it may have been a horrible answer.

I'm chasing down bathrooms a lot with my job. I seriously need to think about when I should drink water and if theres a nearby park, gas station, shopping center I could use.

Now I know that sounds kinda trivial but its a serious concern for me. I work in the not so nice areas often...the gas stations don't have bathrooms. The parks are filled with bums. And the grocery stores, Targets etc can be a 15 minute drive.

I may have made this a bigger deal which is an unflattering topic but its the truth.

I've been debating to talk about my manager to see if I can transfer into an office job since this interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or