Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 03:04 PM

3,321 posts, read 7,939,949 times

Advertisements

The thread title has been the story of my life.

I had an interview yesterday for a job I really really wanted. Pretty much exactly what I want.

They had me go from 930 to 1pm. Five different interviews, it was pretty intense.

Overall, I was pretty happy with how I did when I left. Solid 8 out of 10.

Already received an email a few hours ago stating I didn't get the job.

I'm SUPER frustrated. This is the 4th or so big interview in the last few years, never get the job. I keep getting jobs I don't really want.

I wasn't very nervous, remained calm and true to myself. I know I got too nervous with prior interviews.

I'm really annoyed with my current job. I've made wise financial decisions, if I really wanted...I could quit, move back to my parents, and figure things out for a long long time. However, I'm 30 and I don't want to do that. And that wouldn't look good resume wise even though its looking more and more appealing.

I'm pretty much lost on how to proceed with my career. Getting a masters isn't very helpful in my line of work. I tried getting a industry license but all the classes are online and books. I miserably failed the test after reading the entire book. I'm an audio learner so I need lectures and they don't offer anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 03:23 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,340,360 times
Hey,

Do you mind telling us what's your line of work?

Old 12-09-2015, 03:43 PM

368 posts, read 411,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
The thread title has been the story of my life.

I had an interview yesterday for a job I really really wanted. Pretty much exactly what I want.

They had me go from 930 to 1pm. Five different interviews, it was pretty intense.

Already received an email a few hours ago stating I didn't get the job.

I'm SUPER frustrated. This is the 4th or so big interview in the last few years, never get the job. I keep getting jobs I don't really want.

I wasn't very nervous, remained calm and true to myself. I know I got too nervous with prior interviews.

I'm really annoyed with my current job. I've made wise financial decisions, if I really wanted...I could quit, move back to my parents, and figure things out for a long long time. However, I'm 30 and I don't want to do that. And that wouldn't look good resume wise even though its looking more and more appealing.

I'm pretty much lost on how to proceed with my career. Getting a masters isn't very helpful in my line of work. I tried getting a industry license but all the classes are online and books. I miserably failed the test after reading the entire book. I'm an audio learner so I need lectures and they don't offer anything like that.
Dont feel bad OP. Ive had 16 interviews in my line of work, in the past 14 months. Denied all 16 times. I have 24 years of experience ( 2 jobs in 24 years) & Im a 4 year military veteran. It means NOTHING today. Its like your walking rubbish to these HR people UNLESS you answer their psycho-babble interview questions "properly".

Old 12-09-2015, 03:56 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,340,360 times
I was going to tell you it may not be you but the above post already got to it. I can only speak from my perspective; I've had pretty good luck with interviews but these companies were so selfish. To me it seems as if many businesses these days just want you to be a slave to the company.

Have you tried networking?

Old 12-09-2015, 04:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,556,432 times
Dilemma today are jobs have high expectations and requirements but lower pay because so many jobs have been condensed to fewer jobs and it makes it hard for newer and inexperienced job seekers to get hired.

I've seen a lot of jobs require 3-5yrs+ of experience in 3-6 main categories and many young folks don't even have a few months of experience in 1 category. How do they fill these jobs when the pool of qualified applicants are actually small but a large poor of people less qualified but willing to learn and companies don't have the resource or patience to train and pay the benefits for free.

Many entry jobs today are just dead end, in the past you start an entry and move up as you get better but today most entry jobs are dead end or rotating door jobs that they only hire and let go or people leave after 1-2 yrs.

There's very little job promotion within unless you know someone and get carried.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:26 PM

13,093 posts, read 20,791,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Unfortunately, 8 out of 10 isn't going to cut it in today's competitive job market. Have you received any feedback (positive and/or negative) from any of the interviews? Often times, a candidate can be sending the wrong signals by being over confident they will be the chosen one or they are so afraid of making a mistake they mess the interview up big time.

What industry are you looking in?

Old 12-09-2015, 05:36 PM

403 posts, read 471,061 times
The way I handled rejection when going on interviews was telling myself they can only hire one person which allowed me to stay positive. Also try to click with the personality of any person who interviews you in the future because they selected person is usually seen as someone easy to work with. Also maintain a conversational tone during the interview which will make the interview feel more like a conversation.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:48 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,422,021 times
Interviews can be tough. Without knowing specifics, I interview people almost every day at my company and we are one of the most competitive companies to get a job. I would guess that 90% of the people that I interview do not get an offer here.

A few piece of advice:

1) Be confident and don't be afraid to actually answer the question using logic and intuition. I work in tech and sometimes I'll ask strategy questions like "How would you double the revenue of (product) in 1 year?" and I want to hear the candidate break down the problem (e.g. "you can double users or you can squeeze more out of your existing users or you can do both") and then actually have some ideas. A poor answer dances around the questions (e.g. "we should do some research to find out what customers like and then using that info, do more of what they like").

2) Be prepared. If the interview is going to be behavioral, think about examples in your career where you had to solve a hard problem, come up with a creative solution, work in a tough environment and how you overcame it, had to make tradeoffs between time to market, quality, scope, etc.

3) Be enthusiastic about the company and job. They want to connect with you and hire someone that can do that job but also someone that they see as sociable and someone that would be nice to have around the office every day.

4) Be committed. Of course you need the job to pay bills, etc. But they want people who want to work there because you believe in the company. "I feel that this company is right there at an inflection point where we're going to see massive growth and I definitely want to be a part of this growth", etc.

Good luck!

RVD.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:29 PM

3,321 posts, read 7,939,949 times
I'm in the insurance industry. This interview was for a software company who handles the software many insurance companies use to process claims.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:47 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,027,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
It means NOTHING today. Its like your walking rubbish to these HR people UNLESS you answer their psycho-babble interview questions "properly".
The irony is that this statement tells me exactly why I wouldn't hire you. I'm sure others feel the same as evidenced by your lack of success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search