U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 01:16 PM

375 posts, read 840,664 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if my situation from this week is just normal in today's world. I'll try to be brief because it's how I was rejected that's a little uneasy.

I completed two interviews with a company in the last few weeks, meeting a total of 7 employees and future colleagues I'd work directly with, bosses, etc. I was the only candidate with prior experience in the industry they operate in and had the exact job skills required I obtained from my last job. Basically my last job was doing almost the exact same work in the exact same industry for several years and I was not fired, this was discussed in the interview.

I bonded very with well with everyone in each interview and was told they were hiring two different people so two candidates would be accepted. Anyway, it seemed like a very good fit.

I was told they'd make their decision this past Monday. Monday came and went, with no call or any email. I waited until 4PM Monday to call them and no one picked up. I called again at 4:30pm and no pick up.

The next day (Tuesday) I called at 1 PM (again no one reaching out to me) and was told they were not extending an offer with not a word of feedback why (this was the near literal response "not extending an offer". I understand there are a million reasons why they decided against me but after 2 interviews radio silence is just normal? Would I be perceived as deranged to wait 2 weeks and ask why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 01:23 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,046,369 times
Rudeness is now the norm. Feedback is never given because of the fear of being sued.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:04 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,986,088 times
What midtown mile girl said. I got this same treatment at the outset of my job search... from a church! for a part-time job! (at least you got a response, I got nothing)

I didn't keep phoning them back, though, which you probably shouldn't do anyway.

At this point after an interview, if the manager mentions they are "hoping to get this wrapped up by [such and such a date]" and two days passes without any notification at all, I move on. And if I don't get any response on an application after a week, I move on.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:03 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,855,579 times
It's that black hole response.

Just keep plugging away.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:35 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,710,164 times
it is pretty normal to not give feedback to rejected applicants, and/or to just send a generic rejection to everyone that says something like "we found a candidate who is a better fit" because giving really specific reasons can invite an argument/conversation that the manager doesn't want to have. they don't want to give you an opportunity to argue back (and you really shouldn't anyway, it's not like you're going to change their minds).

sometimes if i had a good rapport with the interviewer i will ask them (via e-mail) for feedback after the rejection. i only ask once, and i ask in a very nice and considerate way and make it clear that it would be a big favor to me and is optional. it's not so much "why did you reject me????" and more "do you have any feedback that might help me in future job applications". i've gotten some responses from that that were helpful but usually i don't hear back. i don't feel like that's a terrible thing because honestly, i'm asking for them to take a fair amount of time and thought to do something that doesn't benefit them, and because as i already mentioned they don't know that i won't argue back and generally be a pain in the butt to them if i get a response.

i also wouldn't have called them at 4pm the day they were supposed to get back to me. you don't want to pester people - they're not going to forget to offer you the job and things often take longer than expected in the hiring process. if i've been told i should hear back by x day and i don't hear anything, the most i would do is send an e-mail checking in a few days later. and that's it. honestly even that is probably not worth doing. but it's not going to make you look like someone who doesn't have a good grasp on professional norms the way calling repeatedly will.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:09 PM

375 posts, read 840,664 times
Well, thanks everyone. I'm new to the interview process.

I understand the assumptions and reasons why companies behave the way they do (legal reasons and lack of civility from rejected candidates it sounds). In this case it's just ridiculous and inconsiderate as others have posted (providing a mere "no" when there were not even 10 candidates is not a huge effort, 1 email can bcc all the losers and if posters want to argue me here I will concede only that laziness is a serious issue). This was company was extremely communicative and specific about timelines throughout. It's just bizarre.

Ramble over, lesson learned, you are just a resource that can be tossed aside. *pouting face*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or