U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 AM

23 posts, read 12,373 times

Advertisements

Can I leave my two-week notice with my current employer after my drug test/background check comes back clean?

I could have a real great opportunity to be employed soon with a great company and I really do not want to risk losing out on it also not wanting to risk my current job. I am expecting them to give me an offer letter within next week. My question is can I tell the new employer company to wait until my background check and drugs test come back CLEAN before leaving my two weeks notice with my current employer? Now I'm sure I'll pass the background check with no issues but I was at a party where people smoking pot so that could effect my urine drug test results. If I can tell them to wait what is a proper excuse to tell them without looking weird and shady? PLEASE ADVISE!! This could be a life changing career move for me and I really need it.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:53 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,005,865 times
First, I wouldn't say ANYTHING to your current employer until you have an offer in hand. That's just standard.

Second, if you weren't smoking, there will be nothing in your drug tests.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
First, I wouldn't say ANYTHING to your current employer until you have an offer in hand. That's just standard.

Second, if you weren't smoking, there will be nothing in your drug tests.

I'm not going to saying anything till I get the official offer but again can you just answer the qeustion? You can get thc from 2nd hand smoke if you research it, otherwise I would not be posting this.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 AM

9,986 posts, read 16,652,835 times
Yes, 2nd hand mj smoke is detectable in a drug screen. If you have been in the presence of a mj smoker you may want to include that fact in your drug screen authorization form. For example, a member of your family may be using because it mitigates nausea during chemo or they have epilepsy and is trying that to see if mj helps. Both of the former are legal, in most states, uses.

Mj does stay in the system for an extended time.

As others have said, don't give notice until you have an offer in hand.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Yes, 2nd hand mj smoke is detectable in a drug screen. If you have been in the presence of a mj smoker you may want to include that fact in your drug screen authorization form. For example, a member of your family may be using because it mitigates nausea during chemo or they have epilepsy and is trying that to see if mj helps. Both of the former are legal, in most states, uses.

Mj does stay in the system for an extended time.

As others have said, don't give notice until you have an offer in hand.

I mean I get that, the question here is not IF I should give my two week notice before getting a job offer. Most companies will give a you an offer letter and expect you to sign it before 100% being done with background check/drug screen. The question here is if they do give me an offer letter should I tell them I want to wait till everything going through or will that sound sketchy and motivate them to pull the offer letter??

Old 12-11-2015, 10:57 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,615,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farzadkavari View Post
Can I leave my two-week notice with my current employer after my drug test/background check comes back clean?
You give notice after you have the signed offer and after you clear all hurdles.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:58 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,615,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farzadkavari View Post
The question here is if they do give me an offer letter should I tell them I want to wait till everything going through or will that sound sketchy and motivate them to pull the offer letter??
You tell your potential employer nothing. You wait.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:06 AM

5,335 posts, read 5,295,429 times
Second hand smoke excuse is always great. LOL.

Listen, go out and get yourself a home HTC kit available at any pharmacy. Test yourself for the marijuana that you didn't use. If it's clean, you should be ok, otherwise you have something to be concerned about.

Best of luck.

Edit: I meant THC

Last edited by G-fused; 12-11-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 12-11-2015, 11:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,748 posts, read 54,373,866 times
How much time between the party and test? Typically, for such a small amount as in 2nd hand smoke, it will last a few days in urine, in blood hours or a day. There are no guarantees, however. Do not give notice without an offer in hand.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:14 PM

5,335 posts, read 5,295,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How much time between the party and test? Typically, for such a small amount as in 2nd hand smoke, it will last a few days in urine, in blood hours or a day. There are no guarantees, however. Do not give notice without an offer in hand.
OP I assumed you already took the drug test but if not, , a good (i.e. faster) way to get THC out of your system is through defecation. Yes, I am serious. Depending on how much time you have between now and the test, and depending on how often you (don't) generally inhale smoke, and the methods you use rid of the the marijuana you didn't smoke from your system, there may be plenty of time.

Tons of resources on line for people like you who don't smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or