U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:06 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,857,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyphd View Post
It wasn't an office job. The job I wanted was.
No benefits.
Part-time.
Completely inflexible rotating hours, making taking another part-time impossible.
Would barely have paid for my gas.

How is that decent?

Candy
Your loss.

It would have allowed you to get a foot in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:25 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,791,070 times
It's hard to say what went on here without more information. One thing I do know: having a Ph.D. or whatever may be of no practical significance to this employer. Moreover, if the original poster was passed over for someone from the outside, perhaps there was a good reason.

I once worked with a woman who had multiple degrees, including a law degree. She really thought that made her a superstar. She once expected a promotion and didn't get it, and not too long after that she "retired." I think she was probably the only one who understood why she didn't get the job. She was incompetent.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:47 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,508,503 times
Candy, let the hateful remarks here roll off you like water off a duck's back! Too much ''judgy'' going on here.
Just glad you moved through and came out at a ''happy place'' for yourself.
Good vibes your way...and good luck!

Old 12-15-2015, 11:55 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,199,734 times
Quote:
I interviewed for two jobs at the same institution. One pays double what the other does. I know I gave a great interview both times, but I only got an offer for the lower paying one.

I debated whether or not to even take it. I thought, well, they must know what they are doing. The chosen candidates must have more experience, etc. They probably don't even bring people in from the outside except for entry level. I think, OK, I'll take it, swallow my pride, work my way up, show them what I can do, and go for a promotion as soon as I can.

Not really.

If you were out of work and must change jobs for whatever reason, then it might be valid to take the lower paying job. But if you apply for two jobs at the same place, and one pays $100K a year and the other pays $50K a year, you have just told them you shouldn't be considered for the higher paying job. No one who is qualified for the $100K job under normal circumstances would even apply for the $50K a year job. It comes across to them that you are really a $50K a year employee and are really reaching for the $100K a year job.

Sorry this didn't work out for you and it looks like they hired a couple of nothing specials for the higher paying jobs. Companies and organizations aren't that bright. Don't give them too much credit. The only way they know you would be qualified for the $100K a year job (in my example) is by applying only for that job and act as if you should already have it, and have great references to impress them.

If they were this clueless to pass on you, I wouldn't expect them to promo you. Keep looking for a better employment situation.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 12-16-2015 at 12:31 AM..

Old 12-16-2015, 12:06 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,238,434 times
Quote:
I interviewed for two jobs at the same institution. One pays double what the other does. I know I gave a great interview both times, but I only got an offer for the lower paying one.

I debated whether or not to even take it. I thought, well, they must know what they are doing. The chosen candidates must have more experience, etc. They probably don't even bring people in from the outside except for entry level. I think, OK, I'll take it, swallow my pride, work my way up, show them what I can do, and go for a promotion as soon as I can.

Day 2 of training--in which I am killing it--I realize I am in the same training group as the two people selected for the two higher paying jobs. I won't get into details, but I felt like I was punched in the gut. I went home and cried that night, and I don't ever cry. No WAY they have a PhD or even a Master's like I do, as they can't be more than college aged. One person is basically mute and completely antisocial, in dress and behavior, and the other wears combat boots and tights with holes in them to the training for a PROFESSIONAL job. When asked who is new to the organization, they both raise their hand. Oh, and neither is bilingual, which is what the job posting listed as "strongly preferred." And they're also about 20 years younger than me. BUT I am still in my early 40s, great work experience, impeccable references, bilingual. I look much younger than I am and wore a suit or a professional outfit each day of training last week. I smiled, I chatted, I shook hands, I was rainbows and sunshine.

WTF!

I was kind of OK with the lesser job until I saw who they picked over me. It's like seeing the guy who dumped you with a woman who is not even half of what you are. Actually that happened to me in high school, and this is worse.

I thought about it really hard all week, because I didn't want to quit out of emotion, but tonight I sent my boss a very polite email expressing my confusion, politely explaining all of the above and that I am not a good fit in that lesser position.

I am waiting to hear back, but I know he is going to more or less say 'I'm sorry you feel that way, nice knowing you.'

I am gutted. To know you deserve a job and not get it is one thing, but to SEE who did and know they are so underqualified and yet you were still passed up. I am so sad. And now unemployed again, but really, it barely paid enough for gas, so it's no big loss. I could go work at Target part-time and do better. And I probably will.

I guess I don't have a question. I just want to say that if you don't get the job, don't always assume it's because you don't measure up. I just saw it with my own eyes this week.

If you interviewed for employment then "it" was not your job.
In your opinion you were the better choice which appears to not be the opinion of the interviewer.
If you think you can do better at Target then the sooner you get started the better it will be.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:08 AM

43,264 posts, read 41,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Candy, let the hateful remarks here roll off you like water off a duck's back! Too much ''judgy'' going on here.
Alternative viewpoints =/= "hateful."

Old 12-16-2015, 07:19 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,508,503 times
And the smug rolls on...la de freakin' da!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:50 PM

43,264 posts, read 41,844,197 times
Quote:
And the smug rolls on...la de freakin' da!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,790,292 times
It's brutal out there, and connections matter far more than actual skill.

Heck, at the most recent former employer of mine, the place was riddled with this type of idiocy. Drug-addled machinists being treated better than the hard working ones... and don't even get me started on how we, the manufacturing engineers, were treated! Everything that happened in the place was blamed on us, including stuff that obviously we had no control over, and the only guy in our department who was respected by the boss was a worthless brown-noser who literally screwed up every job he touched and refused to follow any company processes or procedures, including the ones that matter in audits! It was surreal... and as the place nose-dived, the good workers were tossed while the cronies stayed on to loot the sinking ship.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:44 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,790,292 times
Quote:
Just glad you moved through and came out at a ''happy place'' for yourself.
Good vibes your way...and good luck!
It's the Just World Fallacy in action:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis

"... This belief generally implies that in the existence of cosmic justice, destiny, divine providence, desert, stability, or order, and has high potential to result in fallacy, especially when used to rationalize people's misfortune on the grounds that they "deserve" it."

This common fallacy - particularly in America - is used to conveniently explain away all sorts of problems, from unemployment to misfortune, because clearly the victim "did something to deserve it." It's also a variation of the classic attack to silence valid complaints with "you're just whining" - because clearly there can't actually be a problem because "everyone gets what they deserve." Right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search