Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:20 AM

89 posts, read 78,830 times

Advertisements

So, here's what happened:

Things ended nicely. My manager said he understood my concerns, but an advanced degree doesn't keep you from getting hired at the bottom. So, we parted ways on a good note, which is important to me.

I'm going to go apply at a restaurant or in retail. At least there I know I'm at the bottom because I really do know nothing. That I can deal with.

SO HAPPY I spent 10+ full time years in college. Totally worth it.

Thanks to all for your support,
Candy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:37 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyphd View Post

Things ended nicely. My manager said he understood my concerns, but an advanced degree doesn't keep you from getting hired at the bottom. So, we parted ways on a good note, which is important to me.

I'm going to go apply at a restaurant or in retail. At least there I know I'm at the bottom because I really do know nothing. That I can deal with.

Candy
I don't understand people like you.

I just don't.

I've been working so hard to get a decent office job, and you give up a job just because you had to start from the bottom?

Old 12-14-2015, 08:45 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post

I just don't.

I've been working so hard to get a decent office job, and you give up a job just because you had to start from the bottom?
While I understand how the OP feels, I also agree with you. Nobody likes to start at the bottom, especially if they feel they are being undervalued, but why not stick with it? Might be able to move up quickly, or gain some great experience. Or at least stick it out until finding another position.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post

I just don't.

It wasn't an office job. The job I wanted was.
No benefits.
Part-time.
Completely inflexible rotating hours, making taking another part-time impossible.
Would barely have paid for my gas.

How is that decent?

Candy

Old 12-14-2015, 09:01 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyphd View Post

Candy
I hope you were being sarcastic. Would you really go work retail or wait tables just because you didn't get the job you wanted? If so, that tells us a lot about why you may not have gotten the higher paying job. I hope you will take some time for some self-reflection.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
While I understand how the OP feels, I also agree with you. Nobody likes to start at the bottom, especially if they feel they are being undervalued, but why not stick with it? Might be able to move up quickly, or gain some great experience. Or at least stick it out until finding another position.

I could not afford to stick around. I could not have paid my bills. That is why I wanted the other job that I was very much qualified for--it paid double.

Candy

Old 12-14-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I hope you were being sarcastic. Would you really go work retail or wait tables just because you didn't get the job you wanted? If so, that tells us a lot about why you may not have gotten the higher paying job. I hope you will take some time for some self-reflection.

Waiting tables would pay more than the job I turned down. I've waitressed before, and I like it.

What is wrong with waiting tables? It's an honest living. Please take time to reflect on your own comments.

Candy

Old 12-14-2015, 09:19 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I'm glad you were able to part ways amicably. This was obviously not the right fit for you, and nothing wrong with recognizing that right away and moving on.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm glad you were able to part ways amicably. This was obviously not the right fit for you, and nothing wrong with recognizing that right away and moving on.
Thank you. This was exactly my thought process.

Candy

Old 12-14-2015, 09:26 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Just curious. What field is your degree in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search