U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 10:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 711,978 times

Advertisements

I'm currently employed, seeking new opportunities, and have made it to the final interview at 2 different companies.

Company A: Asks me this week whether I can come in next Monday for a 4-hour in-person interview. They know I'm currently employed and I almost wonder whether this is a test to see if I'm the kind of person who would ask my work to take 4 hours off for a "doctor's appointment". Or do they really expect that I can take a 4-hour lunchbreak in less than a week's notice?

Company B: Initial phone interview was in September and the process is dragging out. They've asked me to come in for my final interview in January of next year and to plan for the interview to take the entire day. And from what I recently learned on GlassDoor, this company expects people in the type of role I'm seeking to work 60+ hours per week for subpar pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 10:13 PM

1,168 posts, read 711,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Company A: Asks me this week whether I can come in next Monday for a 4-hour in-person interview. They know I'm currently employed and I almost wonder whether this is a test to see if I'm the kind of person who would ask my work to take 4 hours off for a "doctor's appointment". Or do they really expect that I can take a 4-hour lunchbreak in less than a week's notice?
Also, they gave me an application to fill out for when I come for my final interview. It is asking for information such as my company's phone number, current supervisor's phone number, etc. I don't want to give that out because I'm afraid they might call and that would tip off to my current employer that I'm looking for other jobs, probably resulting in me being laid off.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:56 PM

278 posts, read 244,530 times
Quote:
Also, they gave me an application to fill out for when I come for my final interview. It is asking for information such as my company's phone number, current supervisor's phone number, etc. I don't want to give that out because I'm afraid they might call and that would tip off to my current employer that I'm looking for other jobs, probably resulting in me being laid off.
Personally, I do NOT give out any past company or references phone #'s until after I get an official offer. Only exception was when I interviewed at Amazon a few years back, making it to the final round. But they only asked for 2 professional references.

I would be extremely hesitant giving out your company contact info as it could cost you your job or just plain put you in an awkward position there now that they know you're out there fishing for other jobs.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:37 PM

853 posts, read 1,560,564 times
Quote:
I'm currently employed, seeking new opportunities, and have made it to the final interview at 2 different companies.

Company B: Initial phone interview was in September and the process is dragging out. They've asked me to come in for my final interview in January of next year and to plan for the interview to take the entire day. And from what I recently learned on GlassDoor, this company expects people in the type of role I'm seeking to work 60+ hours per week for subpar pay.
Neither of which are uncommon if you want a job in software development, it's not new. Been that way since I started 15+ years ago. Though how fast or how slow the interview process are depends a lot on how senior the role is, and how small or big the company.

I have done both interview type while employed. Every job I have had were on flex time, so I never needed to give anything more then a few hours notice for coming in later or leaving early. I did have to break up interviews across several days because I was in crunch mode for a release, and the company I was interviewing with had no problem scheduling the interviews around my schedule. I have also been on the company's side, we had no problem accommodating a candidate's schedule, including doing weekend, early morning or evening interviews. It's not a test. We have a position we need filled, so we want to interview the candidate ASAP. Have you asked them to accommodate your schedule?

Full day interviews are the norm at the bigger tech companies, their hiring process tend to take longer too. What external candidates don't know is there are often multiple reqs open for the same role. It appears as just one job posting externally. i.e. Someone on the outside might think they are taking a long time filling one role, when in reality, they are trying fill 3 ..already hired one or two. And then there is the joy of expiring reqs with the fiscal quarter, so while I might interviewed a candidate at end of our last fiscal quarter, but the req expired so I had to get a new approved req for the new quarter (and/or wait for the extension on the req to be approved)..therefore delaying the interview process. But of course, that was my experiences at the top tech companies, we had no shortage of applicants, if you don't like the process, say no to the interview.

Last edited by gnomatic; 12-11-2015 at 11:53 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 02:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,839 posts, read 54,521,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Neither of which are uncommon if you want a job in software development, it's not new. Been that way since I started 15+ years ago. Though how fast or how slow the interview process are depends a lot on how senior the role is, and how small or big the company.

I have done both interview type while employed. Every job I have had were on flex time, so I never needed to give anything more then a few hours notice for coming in later or leaving early. I did have to break up interviews across several days because I was in crunch mode for a release, and the company I was interviewing with had no problem scheduling the interviews around my schedule. I have also been on the company's side, we had no problem accommodating a candidate's schedule, including doing weekend, early morning or evening interviews. It's not a test. We have a position we need filled, so we want to interview the candidate ASAP. Have you asked them to accommodate your schedule?

Full day interviews are the norm at the bigger tech companies, their hiring process tend to take longer too. What external candidates don't know is there are often multiple reqs open for the same role. It appears as just one job posting externally. i.e. Someone on the outside might think they are taking a long time filling one role, when in reality, they are trying fill 3 ..already hired one or two. And then there is the joy of expiring reqs with the fiscal quarter, so while I might interviewed a candidate at end of our last fiscal quarter, but the req expired so I had to get a new approved req for the new quarter (and/or wait for the extension on the req to be approved)..therefore delaying the interview process. But of course, that was my experiences at the top tech companies, we had no shortage of applicants, if you don't like the process, say no to the interview.
Yes, they will have other applicants that will meet their requirement, if you can't, keep looking and pass on this one. Tell them the reasons, and see if they make any accommodations, but probably not. When one of my employees asks on Friday to take off 4 hours Monday I let them, and do not ask why. If it's for a job interview or doctor, I don't care, they have PTO and can use it as they wish as long as we don't have several others already off that day. If someone from another company called for a reference, I would refer them to HR, and would ask the employee about it but would not fire them. It's just not a big deal to hire and train someone new, with plenty of applicants available for the $20-25/hr jobs. Unfortunately, some managers/supervisors take it personally when someone tries to improve their situation.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:44 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,115,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo99 View Post
Personally, I do NOT give out any past company or references phone #'s until after I get an official offer. Only exception was when I interviewed at Amazon a few years back, making it to the final round. But they only asked for 2 professional references.

I would be extremely hesitant giving out your company contact info as it could cost you your job or just plain put you in an awkward position there now that they know you're out there fishing for other jobs.
^^This. Don't jeopardize your current job for one you don't even have yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or