U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 05:25 PM

427 posts, read 379,005 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old man. My work history is pretty abysmal -- I have actually been basically unemployed for about a year and a half. This was in large part due to major depressive disorder. I started taking a new medication a month ago and I feel so much happier and more energetic. I had no energy or motivation to find work when I was depressed, and I was so alienated living in Iowa that I didn't really want to commit starting a career and building a life there.

In part due to my new I recently moved to LA. My rent is cheap but I need to get a job soon. I got a Safeserv California Food Handler Card within a couple days of moving here and have been applying to various restaurant jobs. I am looking into getting a guard card as I hear that there are a lot of security jobs in the LA area and it's extremely easy to get hired in that line of work. I did some research and might attend a class on Tuesday at a Security Training Center in Burbank. Apparently this is the best place to go and also the cheapest option (no hidden fees).

I do not want to pay for this certification if I am simply not cut out for security. I do not really want to work security, I would rather do something that would make me feel good about myself -- but I don't want to be picky right now. I need something to do temporarily, right now.

What I am concerned about is that I definitely do not fit the profile of a security officer who I imagine might be sort of a "tough guy." I am a somewhat skinny, almost androgynous individual who stands 5'7''. I have a cherubic face and definitely do not look 24. I I do not look like I am cut out to protect anything. I just am at a complete loss as to what kind of job I am qualified to do.

So, should I pay the money to get a guard card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 10:17 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
The profile of most security folks is overweight and/or of retirement age. No one expects cheap contract security to be a boxer or a cop -- you are there to make your rounds and to call the police or fire department if they are needed.

How much will the card cost?

Old 12-13-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The profile of most security folks is overweight and/or of retirement age. No one expects cheap contract security to be a boxer or a cop -- you are there to make your rounds and to call the police or fire department if they are needed.

How much will the card cost?
Like $170 altogether. It kind of seems like a lot for certification for essentially a minimum wage job.
Still, I would rather do that then deliver pizza or wake up at 4 AM to sling coffee... I might even get the chance to get caught up on my Spanish if I luck out with an easy gig.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:08 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
If it pays your expenses for now, go for it. It might also open up some other doors for you down the road.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
If it pays your expenses for now, go for it. It might also open up some other doors for you down the road.
I'm not sure if it would. I have an expensive phone bill and a relatively nice vehicle and expensive insurance because I was involved in an accident two years ago. I have no idea what else I could do to earn money, though, and some money is better than none. I've never had a lot of luck getting hired in service industry jobs. I have an Art History degree, which is useless in terms of finding employment.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:57 PM

5,654 posts, read 4,875,766 times
Guards job basically is to observe and report ,one is not a police man .
Also many jobs are watching monitors an multiple cameras or drones , so it can be as boring or as interesting as "you choose".
Get your self some training flying drones and you might find it more challenging and interesting .
if you choose to value the lives of those your looking out for, it can mean more to you.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I also read that security experience is worthless in the greater job market. It's usually a dead end job. I don't know if getting paid to do not much of anything would outweigh the lack of professional growth. I'm still ambivalent whether I should go in this direction.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:22 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
What about working for an art museum or similar?

Old 12-13-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
What about working for an art museum or similar?
In what capacity?

Art museum jobs are the same as non-profit and retail jobs in different sectors. I actually applied and interviewed to be a Visitor Services Associate for $12/hr at the Getty here in LA but did not get the job. Working at an art museum is highly desirable and it's very hard to get into. I would have to do something else first.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 12-13-2015 at 11:51 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 03:04 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,819,573 times
I say go for it.
Security is just one of those jobs that can be had if nothing else is available and you need to get back on your feet for whatever reason.
Even living out of state, I still keep my CA guard card active.

Although I'm still looking at what's needed for a NM, or god forbid, a TX one should I reach that "complete burnout" stage with the line of work I'm currently in.
The pay might be low, but the hours are predictable enough that you could focus on getting other things done in order to jump ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search