U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:53 PM

520 posts, read 211,687 times

Advertisements

How do you recommend addressing a cover letter when the job posting does not give you a person's name? Do you think "Dear Hiring Manager" sounds too impersonal? I do, but I don't know what would sound better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 09:00 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,009,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
How do you recommend addressing a cover letter when the job posting does not give you a person's name? Do you think "Dear Hiring Manager" sounds too impersonal? I do, but I don't know what would sound better.
Write to the CEO -- if it's a public company, his or her name will be on the internet.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:47 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
i put dear hiring manager. writing to the ceo doesn't make sense to me because it's almost certainly not the CEO who's reading the letter and depending on the position the ceo won't even have anything to do with the hiring process. i think it would come across as kind of weird, honestly. "dear hiring manager" is impersonal but if there's no way to know who you're writing to, it's perfectly acceptable. it's definitely better than "dear sir or madam" or "to whom it may concern", which are both a bit outdated.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:49 PM

oh it's also worth keeping in mind that how you address your letter is not going to have a huge impact either way, as long as the rest of your letter and your resume are good. it's not something to stress out over.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:54 PM

oh and sorry for 3 posts in a row, but while we're on the subject has anyone ever addressed a cover letter to a nun? i just did and i was really unsure about how to do it. emily post says if you're sending a formal letter to sister betty smith you can say "dear sister betty" or "dear sister smith" but "sister smith" sounds weird to me and "sister betty" seems too informal.

i went with "sister smith" and actually put something into my cover letter about not knowing which to choose and going with what emily post says, and i got an interview so that's nice! i'm not under huge pressure to get a job right now so i'm experimenting with being more relaxed and being myself (to a point) for the time being and seeing how it goes. it's kind of liberating!

Old 12-13-2015, 12:15 AM

5,113 posts, read 2,597,201 times
Go with "Dear Sir:"

This addresses directly the person who is reading your letter while keeping it nonspecific enough so that anyone could read it.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:19 AM

unless it's a woman.

seriously don't use "dear sir" unless you want employers to think you've time traveled here from the 1950s.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:36 AM

1,368 posts, read 1,111,538 times
Dear Hiring Manager is perfectly fine. After all, the recruiter is probably forwarding your information to the hiring manager anyway. Or if the posting indicates you'll be reporting to Director of XXX. I'd probably address: Dear Director of XXX.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 PM

4,649 posts, read 2,287,789 times
When I first began my job search fresh out of college, I always wanted to try and make my cover letters as personable as possible. When there was no information available about who to contact, I used to write an e-mail to the company's corporate office, asking them politely for the name of the hiring manager. Only once did I receive a reply, thanking me for contacting them, and provided me with the appropriate name. All the others never replied to my inquiry. I used to think addressing the specific person was a pretty big deal (heck, I used to think cover letters were really that important) but as my job search progressed, I learned that it really doesn't matter that much at all.

Now, unless I see their name on the posting, I don't even bother with it. "Dear Hiring Manager" is perfectly fine and acceptable.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:45 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,009,521 times
If you want your letter to stand out, always use a specific name.

The CEO is tons better than "Dear Hiring Manager" . . . when you put a specific name, it shows that you care enough to do the research to get one.

In some cases, that will mean the difference between getting an interview and getting passed over.

In other cases, it doesn't matter, but don't you always want to give yourself the best odds possible if it's a job that you care about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or