U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 10:50 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,887,085 times

Advertisements

My original plan is to intern at our airforce base and work with issues that soldiers deal with.

However, my parents decided to throw doubt at me and said I will never make it as an MFT (this is coming from some one they just met whose not an MFT). They said the test to become an mft is too hard and it's alot of unpaid hours to become an mft.

I think becoming an mft is worth it in the end. You get to help people and if you work for the federal government you can have a good steady job that pays well.

My question today is I want to know the truth about the test and are there any paid internships out there and how long does it take to get the hours? Most people say a year to a year and half. Can you only accumulate hours after you get a degree?

Where is the biggest need for mfts right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 07:29 PM

7,958 posts, read 9,699,120 times
ok, I'll bite....what is a mft?

Old 12-14-2015, 09:29 PM

40,201 posts, read 15,174,148 times
I had to Google it. It's Marriage & Family Therapist.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,829,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
ok, I'll bite....what is a mft?

Marriage and family therapist?

Old 12-14-2015, 11:27 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 3 days ago)

5,504 posts, read 12,355,809 times
It looks like location plays a big role in where one can find a paid internship. This is an interesting article on the topic:

Finding A MFT Internship | The Therapist Development Center

And this as well:
Finding a Paid MFT Internship or Private Practice Internship

This answers some of the others questions for Ventura County as one example:
http://www.vchca.org/docs/behavioral...s.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Derek

Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
It looks like location plays a big role in where one can find a paid internship. This is an interesting article on the topic:

Finding A MFT Internship | The Therapist Development Center

And this as well:
Finding a Paid MFT Internship or Private Practice Internship

This answers some of the others questions for Ventura County as one example:
http://www.vchca.org/docs/behavioral...s.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Derek
i'm moving out of ventura county to santa maria. over so cal.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
i'm moving out of ventura county to santa maria. over so cal.
I would definitely research your area more first to make sure there are enough opportunities. I thought you were headed back there based on your last post. But those articles are still relevant. The first one talks about the differences areas make in general when looking for paid internships. Maybe that base will have something for you? It might be good to speak with them ahead of time if possible explaining what your goals are.

Derek

Old 12-15-2015, 12:21 AM

I did a quick search and didn't see much over there. However, it looks like this one place at least has MFT interns. There is no way of telling if they are paid or not. You may want to call and follow up with them to find out more:
Clinical Lead - Psychologist / Therapist job - iRecover Behavioral Health Clinics - Santa Maria, CA | Indeed.com

Derek

Old 12-15-2015, 09:14 AM

204 posts, read 207,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
My original plan is to intern at our airforce base and work with issues that soldiers deal with.

However, my parents decided to throw doubt at me and said I will never make it as an MFT (this is coming from some one they just met whose not an MFT). They said the test to become an mft is too hard and it's alot of unpaid hours to become an mft.

I think becoming an mft is worth it in the end. You get to help people and if you work for the federal government you can have a good steady job that pays well.

My question today is I want to know the truth about the test and are there any paid internships out there and how long does it take to get the hours? Most people say a year to a year and half. Can you only accumulate hours after you get a degree?

Where is the biggest need for mfts right now?
Hopefully I can provide a little insight for you... I'm a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. I currently live (and work) in Florida, but I'm also licensed in Washington and New York (and moving to NY in January.) My program was 2 years, and after that, I found a job immediately and began working (where I could get my hours towards licensure.) It does take two years to get the hours (yes, you can technically get the hours sooner if you work full-time, but they will not count towards your license.) You must be working for 2 years and getting supervision (about 100 hours I believe), along with passing the board exam in order to get your license. You DO get paid during your time working (although its about 30-35k being unlicensed.) And YES, you can only get the hours AFTER you graduate.

It's extremely difficult to get a government job though. I started in a non-profit, and have been working now in substance abuse treatment centers for the last 3 years. Most of the jobs are non-profit, and that's why the pay tends to be on the low side.

Is it a rewarding job? Sometimes. It's stressful, we're overworked, underpaid, and deal with a wide variety of issues. I'm currently the assistant clinical director in a treatment center and make about 60k, which isn't great, but for having 7 years experience, isn't terrible either. So, no, you won't be poor and you can definitely make it as an LMFT if that's what you want to do. You just need to be realistic about the type of job that you will find and the money you will make.

What state are you located in? If you have any specific questions, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I did a quick search and didn't see much over there. However, it looks like this one place at least has MFT interns. There is no way of telling if they are paid or not. You may want to call and follow up with them to find out more:
Clinical Lead - Psychologist / Therapist job - iRecover Behavioral Health Clinics - Santa Maria, CA | Indeed.com

Derek
yeah i saw that ad too and they seem to be hiring alot. i just hope they dont want you to be bilingual. and yup that job says u dont need ur mft yet.

santa maria youth and family is a good place to work i hear, but not sure if they want you to be bilingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search