U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:27 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,590,407 times

Advertisements

At least the OP has a degree. That's more than you can say for other slackers in their situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:13 PM

427 posts, read 382,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If it's any glimmer of home, my boss (director level) is making $150,000 in commercial real estate and has only a degree in art history. While times are different now than when she graduated, she started as an entry level secretary for a real estate firm in the SF Bay Area, and with experience moved up over 5-6 years, took a real estate course at night, and moved here to take a job in real estate development, where the art background actually helped some working with interior designers.
There were a few more promotions after that, again because of experience. Retail and fast food are typical jobs for someone going to school, now you need to look into entry level office work that requires no degree or any degree. The civil service idea is good, but when you get a job, go back and take a few classes to help develop skills that will help you advance within the organization or elsewhere in that industry.
When I was in college I was laughing about the thought of working for the man in corporate America.
Now I would take anything that pays money. I honestly cannot even land a job at a coffee shop right now. I cannot even pretend to be worth hiring for the length of an interview.

I really should stop beating myself up. I don't think anyone would work a minimum wage job if they didn't have to. And I have never had to. However, I no longer live with mommy anymore (who now lives in a one bedroom apartment with several cats in the middle of nowhere Illinois) and I could end up sleeping on the beach in a few months. I need to act fast.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 12-14-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 07:18 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,590,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
When I was in college I was laughing about the thought of working for the man in corporate America.
Now I would take anything that pays money. I honestly cannot even land a job at a coffee shop right now. I cannot even pretend to be worth hiring for the length of an interview.

I really should stop beating myself up. I don't think anyone would work a minimum wage job if they didn't have to. And I have never had to. However, I no longer live with mommy anymore (who now lives in a one bedroom apartment with several cats in the middle of nowhere Illinois) and I could end up sleeping on the beach in a few months. I need to act fast.
Then do it. Do whatever it takes to get out of depression, and get a good job. The situation your in right now is so easy to get out of, there are way worse situations you could be in...so I don't see what the problem is.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:23 PM

43 posts, read 9,790 times
Quote:
I need to get something off my chest. I just turned 24 and this is my work history:

2007: 2 weeks at Jimmy Johns
2010: one month at college physical plant doing yard work
2012: 5 months washing dishes in a cafeteria one shift per week
2012: unpaid internship saying hi to people at a museum
2012-2014: work study job doing my homework and saying hi to people at a museum
2015: Papa Johns for three months

I also finished a BA in 2014. It is in Art History, a subject I'm very fond of, but it won't help me get a job. I have no desire to pursue Art History. Years ago I might have and now I just feel like I need to take any job.

Daddy's money (via trust as he is no longer alive) put me through school and has basically paid for my life. I have no idea of what I should be doing. I just have so much shame over basically having done nothing with my life and having had it so much easier than most. It is very hard for me to motivate myself to find work when I know I have to start at the bottom and others my age are so far ahead of me. I sometimes skip interviews when I get them because I always feel like a loser for even applying for that particular job.

I am trying to force myself to drop off resumes at restaurants here in town but I just feel like I am going to get laughed at. I even earned a Food Handler Card to give me some sort of credential. I am so considering getting a guard card.

I am a poor at interviews because I have low self esteem and do not have achievements or skills to discuss. I try to act enthusiastic but I just come off as stupid.

I guess I'm posting this thread because I feel pretty unemployable. I need a job because I would like to not be homeless, I would like to meet people, and have something to give me useful occupation. If I make enough money I could even afford my own room and not share my quarters with five others. Really my only aspiration is to settle down and start a family. I actually moved across the country because I know I would not meet my "type" in the Midwest. I used to be the epitome of " young unemployed loner living in his mom's basement and playing video games all day" but I moved out, and across the country, to force myself into action.

Now what?
You have a degree. That automatically puts you above those your same age without one. I'm 30 and have no degree. I also have a misdemeanor. Just imagine how much harder it is for me to find a job.

This is with an extensive professional history including 2 executive marketing positions, dozens of media interviews (including Good Morning America and CNN, etc.) and millions of dollars in revenue made for my previous employers. However, even without my misdemeanor I'd still be considered by only a fraction of employers who require a degree. With my conviction, I'm left to really just starting my own business.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:26 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,932,478 times
It sounds like you simply lack motivation. In 8-9-years, it looks like you have worked intermittently for about 1-year in low-end menial jobs. A 2-year BA in Art History sounds more like filling time with a hobby while the trust fund lasted. Even if you were serious about Art History, is there really a career or money-making opportunity for a 2-year BA in Art History?

I remember an axiom about an older person who had never gotten an education, questioning, "If I start school now, do you know how old I'll be when I graduate?" The question in response was, "How old will you be if you don't get an education?"

You may be late in getting started and starting at the bottom may not be what you want, but, there is nothing you can do about your lack of meaningful work history. However, if you don't start now, where will you be at age 30? -- or older? It's not really about self-esteem, as much as motivation and desire. You can do what you put your mind to, but, you are running out of time to simply waste more doing nothing.

(I'm not trying to be unkind, but, simply saying, "everything is going to be okay by itself" is more unkind than stating the truth. - It's time to get off your rear and do something! - Nobody else can do that for you.)

Can you get into the military? How about an 'internship'? Do you have a trade or interest there? What skills do you have?

Last edited by jghorton; 12-14-2015 at 08:41 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 08:38 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,352,797 times
Quote:
I need to get something off my chest. I just turned 24 and this is my work history:

2007: 2 weeks at Jimmy Johns
2010: one month at college physical plant doing yard work
2012: 5 months washing dishes in a cafeteria one shift per week
2012: unpaid internship saying hi to people at a museum
2012-2014: work study job doing my homework and saying hi to people at a museum
2015: Papa Johns for three months

I also finished a BA in 2014. It is in Art History, a subject I'm very fond of, but it won't help me get a job. I have no desire to pursue Art History. Years ago I might have and now I just feel like I need to take any job.

Daddy's money (via trust as he is no longer alive) put me through school and has basically paid for my life. I have no idea of what I should be doing. I just have so much shame over basically having done nothing with my life and having had it so much easier than most. It is very hard for me to motivate myself to find work when I know I have to start at the bottom and others my age are so far ahead of me. I sometimes skip interviews when I get them because I always feel like a loser for even applying for that particular job.

I am trying to force myself to drop off resumes at restaurants here in town but I just feel like I am going to get laughed at. I even earned a Food Handler Card to give me some sort of credential. I am so considering getting a guard card.

I am a poor at interviews because I have low self esteem and do not have achievements or skills to discuss. I try to act enthusiastic but I just come off as stupid.

I guess I'm posting this thread because I feel pretty unemployable. I need a job because I would like to not be homeless, I would like to meet people, and have something to give me useful occupation. If I make enough money I could even afford my own room and not share my quarters with five others. Really my only aspiration is to settle down and start a family. I actually moved across the country because I know I would not meet my "type" in the Midwest. I used to be the epitome of " young unemployed loner living in his mom's basement and playing video games all day" but I moved out, and across the country, to force myself into action.

Now what?
first of all you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself. You had a parent that was able to provide for your college so you didn't have to work while doing it- that's awesome! Now you just need to learn how to pick yourself up and get a real job. By real job i don't mean restaurants, security, etc You have a college degree and should do something with it Most corporations will start college grads at good paying jobs if you're willing to do two things: you need to be able to work hard, and not complain; be able to relocate for a good opportunity. You've been given a gift of no student loans- i'm still paying mine off after working all through school with no family help. That's a tremendous opportunity. Look for jobs at well known institutions, your major doesn't matter. Most of the people i've met don't have a job that relates to their degree (especially those with Liberal Arts degrees).

Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,767,913 times
i was in a similar position to you when i was in my early-mid 20s - i worked, because i had to, but i moved around a lot and was more concerned with things other than moving along a career track (and really, i don't regret that). i didn't have a degree, either.

what got me a job with real responsibility that led to other good jobs was temping. it's pretty easy to get hired at a temp agency and then you have a chance with every assignment to show your employer that you're good at the work, instead of trying to tell them that in an interview. i temped in nyc for a while but i'd do things like go on tour as a roadie with a friend's band instead of taking longer term assignments. then i moved to pittsburgh and worked some retail & low level clerical jobs. finally i decided to try temping again, with a small agency that specialized in nonprofit staffing. the second organization i temped for hired me and i worked there for 4 years. after that i had a great job to put on my resume and i've never had too much trouble finding work.

it's also definitely true that it doesn't matter that much what your degree is in. plenty of jobs just require a bachelors, regardless of major.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:04 PM

5,542 posts, read 12,429,384 times
Quote:
Now I would take anything that pays money.
I honestly cannot even land a job at a coffee shop right now. I cannot even pretend to be worth hiring for the length of an interview.

That first statement is just a part of the growing up process. While in school it seems silly to 'work for the man' like all those adults with regular day jobs. That's the child inside railing at the machine. But once you're out of the false bubble of college life, it's time to begin to face reality. Everyone needs to be a contributor in society to earn a living in some way. That is also how you earn money to survive. Unfortunately, even some of the best artists, musicians, etc... need to get a day job. So, if you don't actually take some time to think about what you wouldn't necessarily hate doing, then you'll wind up doing anything just to stay off the streets. I think sometimes it takes hitting rock bottom to change that mindset and worldview. Life can't always be about doing something cool or fun all day long. Sometimes its simply honest, hard work that pays the bills.

Try a temp agency just to start collecting a paycheck. Then, slowly, find more interesting things to do as opportunities arise. I would also recommend looking outside the LA area. There are too many young ppl like yourself there from all over the country looking to make it big. And the streets are filled with them unfortunately. I would look toward Orange County as well. Heck, maybe you can get a job at Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, etc... Trader Joes is another good place to work. The thing is, if you stay in LA, it will be one of the hardest places to find those types of jobs because there are so many more like you there looking for the same thing, anything, until they make it big. So there's more competition for very basic jobs.

Derek

Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 AM

23,955 posts, read 17,831,668 times
I would focus on why you've had so many menial jobs over such a short term.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:44 AM

2,154 posts, read 1,884,359 times
I would look into that internships, volunteering, and jobs that don't require experience. Also, is there any reason why the jobs/experience you have was cut short?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search