U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:36 PM

427 posts, read 379,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would focus on why you've had so many menial jobs over such a short term.
I have always had lack of confidence and belief in my own abilities and a lack of energy from being extremely depressed for most of my life. I just felt like a helpless, like I was a vegetable or something. I really wanted to do better, deep down, but was just paralyzed by fear of failure and perhaps an addiction to self-pity.

I have had five interviews since I moved to LA less than two weeks ago. I am probably good. My last one went extremely well and I'm almost sure I got the job. If I get this job, I would try to hold it as long as I can to improve my resume,

I have no intention of leaving LA... I absolutely love it here. I just love living in the big city. I am actually finding it much easier to find work than back in the rust belt. Since I am happy where I am and am living with amazing, like-minded people I feel so much more motivated than before I came. I have been taking a new medication that has helped me have to have more energy and less anxiety. I feel almost like a child, and am excited about life again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:02 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,990,298 times
Good luck... we're rooting for you.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:02 AM

2,157 posts, read 2,683,345 times
Nothing is easy. If it was, we all be sitting at home watching Jerry Springer and collecting fat checks for doing absolutely NOTHING. Hey, this is life. You are alive. Do you know how many people who are on the verge of death from a deadly disease wish they had more time? So, stop feeling sorry for yourself. You got a whole life ahead of you.

With your condition I know it will be very difficult but you need to adjust your attitude towards yourself. You do not project yourself well to others. People can see it, feel it. You need to have a lively personality. You need to be a person that an employer would want to hire. Someone they would like to be around with. You have to be likable. That you have enough common sense to do the job right.

If I was in your shoe, I would go to a temp agency and see if they can get you a job. Do research on certain type of certificate/licensing that can open doors for you without going back to school for years and accumulating more bills.

There are careers out there that does not require a lot of education but it still requires DETERMINATION, DRIVE, and GREAT WORK ETHIC. You lack these. I don't know where you are going to find it but you better find it sooner than later.

No amount of education and certificate is going to help you if you don't have drive and work ethic. You can have a thousand PHD degrees and it wouldn't do sh*t for you if you don't have drive and work ethic.

May be you aren't not born to work for others. I am like that. I always hated working for people. I always knew I wasn't born for a J.O.B. If that is the case, you better buckle up because this road is even harder and less travel. This is where do or die comes in. You make it or die trying.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:33 PM

213 posts, read 146,787 times
Imagine being 26 going on 27 with no viable work history. What a fool I was. It's too late for me now.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:42 PM

I was fired from my restaurant job for being too slow (apparently -- that was the explanation they gave). I am reading all your posts while I consider things.

I wonder if I should just embrace being a trust fund baby and live off that for the rest of my life. Maybe I am just not meant to work in the traditional sense of that word. I honestly have no idea what kind of J.O.B.S I am qualified for and almost none I'd really want to do. It's just the truth.
I feel like I'm only looking for jobs because I feel guilty about not working.
I have never had a social life or dated so I felt like if I can say I have a job I'd look better in the eyes of other people. That's all I really want, just to have a family and feel less terrible about myself.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 01-10-2016 at 11:50 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 09:04 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,861,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I was fired from my restaurant job for being too slow (apparently -- that was the explanation they gave). I am reading all your posts while I consider things.

I wonder if I should just embrace being a trust fund baby and live off that for the rest of my life. Maybe I am just not meant to work in the traditional sense of that word. I honestly have no idea what kind of J.O.B.S I am qualified for and almost none I'd really want to do. It's just the truth.
I feel like I'm only looking for jobs because I feel guilty about not working.
I have never had a social life or dated so I felt like if I can say I have a job I'd look better in the eyes of other people. That's all I really want, just to have a family and feel less terrible about myself.
You have to work damn hard for what you want.

I lost both of my parents while in college. That was very difficult for me, considering that I lost my job at the college, got into a depressive state, and started not to care about myself after that. That's when i realized that i had to get myself out of this rut.

You can get out of it. You just have to be willing to fight. You need to figure out what you want to do in life as a job/career. Right now, I've decided that I want to pursue something in IT, but i need a good job first to save up for classes. My uncle is going to help me with driving classes as well. Currently i work at Best Buy parttime because i didn'twant to sit around the house feeling sorry for myself or think about every mistake I made in my life.

It's unproductive.

Don't give up on yourself.

It's not how you start, but how you finish.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:34 PM

I really want nothing to do with corporate America. My appearance, interest, and high level of general weirdness would make it tough for me to do well there, and more importantly I have an overwhelming need to express myself creatively and do things my own way. I am eccentric and, you know, I like that. I like being weird.

I think the answer I am looking for is "don't work another stupid J.O.B. and do what you love." I am blessed to be in a situation where that is possible for me. I also think that I just might be too individual to be forced into delivering the goods for tyrants who just could not care less about me. Why worry about what they think?

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 01-11-2016 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 07:25 PM

2,897 posts, read 1,074,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I really want nothing to do with corporate America. My appearance, interest, and high level of general weirdness would make it tough for me to do well there, and more importantly I have an overwhelming need to express myself creatively and do things my own way. I am eccentric and, you know, I like that. I like being weird.

I think the answer I am looking for is "don't work another stupid J.O.B. and do what you love." I am blessed to be in a situation where that is possible for me. I also think that I just might be too individual to be forced into delivering the goods for tyrants who just could not care less about me. Why worry about what they think?
I totally get you. I have the same opinion.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:43 AM

259 posts, read 173,974 times
It seems a bit directionless now, but keep trying and stick with it. Being afraid of failure is normal. But everyone has to try because even if you fail, it's far better than doing nothing at all. We all learn from our experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search