U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 03:33 PM

71 posts, read 44,600 times

Advertisements

What jobs would pay for your relocation? I'm looking for any entry level jobs that would pay for your relocation even if it's a teaching job. I just graduated on the 12th and now I'm just looking to make ends meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 04:36 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,525,717 times
Anything that's an actual career and you have experience in. Entry level jobs aren't going to pay for relocation.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:40 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,849,807 times
U.S. Air Force
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
U.S. Navy

Old 12-16-2015, 06:24 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,455,883 times
Quote:
even if it's a teaching job
What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Quote:
U.S. Air Force
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
U.S. Navy

Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 PM

9,000 posts, read 8,421,179 times
Entry level what? Entry level lawyer might pay for relocation. Entry level doctor might, if you go to an underserved location. Entry level nurses might get signing bonuses sufficient to cover relocation. Teachers might get something in areas that are desparate for teachers.

For just about any other career, entry level isn't going to come with relocation.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:18 PM

848 posts, read 642,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Anything that's an actual career and you have experience in. Entry level jobs aren't going to pay for relocation.
I have less than a year of experience in my profession and my new company paid for my relocation to WV. It depends on the company. I suggest the OP apply to every job she sees both in state and out of state. I see account executive and other sales jobs that will accept anyone with a degree in any major.

I also suggest to apply to any government jobs all over the country. Most jobs like correctional officers and case managers will accept anyone with a degree and will defiantly pay for relocation.

If she is in Georgia like her profile name suggest I see why she is having a tough time. Georgia has an ultra competitive job market and fresh graduates have a hard time finding a job there. I graduated from Georgia State in Atlanta back in December 2014 and all I could find was a temp job paying $17 per hour as a bench chemist and got no responses to every permanent chemist job I applied to in the state of GA. After 6 months I expanded my job search and started applying for out of state chemist positions and landed my current chemist position in West Virginia which is full time with benefits.

The OP would probably get better results if she applies to jobs out of state too and ask them in the interview if they will pay for relocation expenses.

Last edited by Poor Chemist; 12-16-2015 at 07:31 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 01:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,829 posts, read 54,503,450 times
We only pay relocation for top executives making $200k and up. We have about 2,000 employees, but there is no shortage of local qualified applicants for every opening, so no need to pay relocation. Executives have to be recruited from all over the country and world.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:28 PM

142 posts, read 140,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have about 2,000 employees, but there is no shortage of local qualified applicants for every opening, so no need to pay relocation. Executives have to be recruited from all over the country and world.
This is the key. A business doesn't need to pay to relocate a future employee if there is a sufficient pool of qualified local candidates. Doing so would be throwing money away and that's bad business.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:15 AM

204 posts, read 208,394 times
Most entry level jobs won't pay for relocation expenses. For entry level jobs, they typically want a local candidate, or someone already planning on moving to that city. I'm relocating in January and paying my way, as I was planning on moving regardless of accepting this offer. My brother works for Boeing however and they paid for his entire relocation, as well as a few weeks of temporary housing. But he's also an aerospace engineer and I'm a social worker... so completely different fields.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:43 PM

848 posts, read 642,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
Most entry level jobs won't pay for relocation expenses. For entry level jobs, they typically want a local candidate, or someone already planning on moving to that city. I'm relocating in January and paying my way, as I was planning on moving regardless of accepting this offer. My brother works for Boeing however and they paid for his entire relocation, as well as a few weeks of temporary housing. But he's also an aerospace engineer and I'm a social worker... so completely different fields.
My new company paid for my relocation expenses and a housing allowance as well and I am a chemist the position called for 1-3 years of experience so I don't know if my Job is considered entry level or not but they did give me a hefty relocation bonus. It really depends on the companies discretion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search