U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,715,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
I've never done a resume in PDF format in my 15+ years in the work force...that's new to me. I guess my question is, why did you complete your resume in a format that is historically done in Word, and expect the employer to accept your format?
The OP mentioned several times that his way was prettier than Word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:08 PM

736 posts, read 919,432 times
Default Removing Personal Data via Inspect Document

I paged through this entire thread to see if anyone made reference to the feature in MS Word that facilitates the removal of personal info and I did not see such a reply.

A few years ago I realized that the resumes I was sending out had this information - I never really thought about it. Well, anyway, I started using the Inspect Document feature to remove this data.

You click on the File tab to go to backstage view. File > Info > Check for Issues > Inspect Document. There, you can check the boxes for the properties you want removed. I usually check all but Headers,Footers,Watermarks. Click on Inspect, Reinspect to make sure all has been removed as you have selected. Save your doc.

I think this process was intended for/created to prepare docs. for file sharing, but I am fairly certain that this serves the purpose of removing the properties for other reasons. If anyone knows this to be incorrect, pls let us know.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:09 PM

5,924 posts, read 7,041,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
I've never done a resume in PDF format in my 15+ years in the work force...that's new to me. I guess my question is, why did you complete your resume in a format that is historically done in Word, and expect the employer to accept your format?
This is just a different world than I live in.

Word format is what I get sent (or send out) when something is still being worked on. Everything that is a finished document, which I hope a resume would be before it gets sent out, gets sent as a PDF. It's the equivalent of sending a paper copy. Instead of printing something and putting it into an envelope, it gets turned into a PDF (which is really just the same thing as printing it) and emailed.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:56 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,023,364 times
Occasionally I see job ad requests that resumes get sent in Word, but I thought it was just a test to see if directions could be followed. There are lots of dinosaur HR people out there, especially in non-prof. industries.

Your resume is your privacy; I'd send pdf. and certainly wouldn't be comfortable sending a Word format to a blind source llke a job application. Who knows what would be done with it?

Old 12-19-2015, 07:19 AM

4,586 posts, read 2,335,226 times
for me. pdf is universal so i can be sure all the indents and highlights and page breaks... will look the same on the other persons pc.
when i was in college, i remember having issues not being able to open a word-97 documeat on word-2000 (strangely works other way around). sometimes going from word to open-office, page breaks or highlights would be lost...
if i create it in microsoft office home and they read it in microsoft office business professional then certain features mite be available to them that mite throw off my formatting.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:25 AM

7,187 posts, read 11,242,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Oh so now you tell us it's just a side gig. if that means so little to you, then why even waste their time?
Really! This thread just went into my mental shredder!

Old 12-19-2015, 10:20 AM

7,751 posts, read 9,059,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I have a very nice-looking resume in .pdf format (just talking about aesthetics, not necessarily content), and I got a request to send it to them in MS Word instead (not the first time this has happened). I did my resume in LaTeX, and quite frankly don't want to copy/paste it into Word and deal with all the annoying inevitable formatting issues.

So why do they want this? Pdf files are much more professional, and contain less identifying information about you/your computer as far as I know. And it's just as easy to copy/paste from or search in a .pdf file as a .doc/x file.
Does it matter? Just follow their directions.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:49 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,554,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I'm not going to make my resume in Word only for it to be uglier, look less professional, and have to deal with getting a new license for MS Office (which seems to run for $175 at the cheapest -- and MS Word alone seems to be $200 for some reason) every time I get a new computer.
Just FYI: you can create .docx files for free using Word Online, which also allows you to save as .pdf.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,828 posts, read 33,246,704 times
PDF is meant for producing documents that look good on paper. It's not a good format for extracting text. Modern employment application systems will extract keywords from a resume and score them. If you're being asked to submit in something other than PDF, it could mean that the employer will be doing some automatic processing or scoring of your resume as part of the screening process.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:32 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,514,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Just FYI: you can create .docx files for free using Word Online, which also allows you to save as .pdf.
Is it secure? I somehow doubt there's a free lunch.

I do happen to have MS Office right now, but only a license for 1 computer, which means, for example, if I'm traveling, I won't be able to use it (it's not on my laptop). I also doubt I'll buy office again when MS Office 2013 is no longer compatible with whatever Windows version I'm on. When I bought it a few years ago, it was incredibly expensive. Over $250 I believe.

Like I said, they already indicated their desire to move forward, so .doc/x vs .pdf is a non-issue in this case. But it is interesting to see how many people just respond to the first post in a multi-page thread here and never pay attention to all the responses already written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or