Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 07:23 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times

Advertisements

i usually email them 3 attachments (odf, pdf and microsoft format). open-office can save in all 3; pdf looks the nicest and ms-docx looks the worst but i think it makes me look smart providing all likely formats or stupid for wasting email inbox space.

just thought of an idea:
maybe they collaborate using a microsoft sharepoint site so anything not in a ms-office 2012 and above format is not shareable ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 12-17-2015 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: sharepoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 08:21 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Yes, I'm familiar with LaTeX. My point is, it's not the tool used on the business side of the house and you have to communicate with them and through them to be successful. It won't be just for a resume file but for any business communication. Big picture, this isn't the hill.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:22 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

Someplaces will remove content that will reflect national origin and gender to protect themselves.
Some do it to even the playing field for the candidate so that hiring team are not influenced by gender, race, and potential biases are removed.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes, I'm familiar with LaTeX. My point is, it's not the tool used on the business side of the house and you have to communicate with them and through them to be successful. It won't be just for a resume file but for any business communication. Big picture, this isn't the hill.
For cover letters, I use Word (actually, I prefer applications where I can just copy/paste into a box). But for resumes, I want it to look good. Half of the battle is getting it to catch the eye of the reader, and for that, I want control over my formatting.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
I haven't used Word in many, many years. It's too expensive, especially when there are free, open source word processing programs that are compatible with word. I've used them when requested to use word and never heard anything about it. I think folks are just behind the times and assume people still own Word.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:45 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
For cover letters, I use Word (actually, I prefer applications where I can just copy/paste into a box). But for resumes, I want it to look good. Half of the battle is getting it to catch the eye of the reader, and for that, I want control over my formatting.
The other half is meeting their requests for a certain format...

Old 12-18-2015, 07:46 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,682 times
Why do you care. One of my first interviews on Wall Street guy made me stand up, ask me my height and how much I weighed.

Turns out pre-lap tops his area did branch audits and the bags were very heavy, and they were winter audits, and you had to bring suits and a tie. And back in the day folks were a bit quicker with the fists. He used to send folks out two at a time to do audits.

I later found out he send someone to a boston office audit and they discovered Branch manager was laundering Mafia money and the auditor barely made it out alive. So really just do it.

Pretty much every single branch audit included a guy over six foot two inch, over 200 pounds and under 35 years of age. Dont laugh. When you five foot two inch wife and her 62 year old boss discover someone embellizing out in Chicago and you have to confront him you be happy your wife is with a six foot four inch tall, 230 pound 24 year old former football player staff member. My accounting skills and GPA were weak so I guess I was up for the bouncer and carry the bags job.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:50 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
As has been said, I use PDF to make the resume Office version agnostic for the viewer. I've generally been able to submit in Word or PDF. If I have a choice, it's PDF every time.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:07 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Half of the battle is getting it to catch the eye of the reader, and for that, I want control over my formatting.
How do you mean? I have never hired someone because of the format of their resume. Nor have I rejected anyone. I've even seen resumes where the applicant added "flourish" in crayon or marker to try to stand out. Didn't help and the content of the resume showed why. My self and every hiring manager I've known reads resumes for content, not format.

That said, many HMs will be swayed by style and presentation when they meet in person for the interview.

Honestly I think you're worried over the wrong things. Any product you send that is not in one of the standard formats used in business offices (and HR is definitely on the non technical business side of the house) probably won't even make it to my desk for me to read. The clerk in HR just isn't going to try when the box pops up to "select program to open..." They're just going to trash it and move on.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:15 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Any product you send that is not in one of the standard formats used in business offices (and HR is definitely on the non technical business side of the house) probably won't even make it to my desk for me to read. The clerk in HR just isn't going to try when the box pops up to "select program to open..." They're just going to trash it and move on.
But that's the bizarre thing. It was sent in PDF, not LaTeX. That is one of the standard formats used in every kind of office. There is literally nobody in the world with a computer who can't open a PDF. It's more common than Word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search