U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 11:44 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,218,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's not true. I am interested in the OP's question because demanding Word resumes seems strange to me based on very recent experience. I'm applying for jobs at large companies and organizations right now. As in, I sent in my most recent applications two nights ago. The interest in my application is serious enough that I'm in salary negotiations with one place.

Some of this job search has been conducted informally by mailing out my resume or vita. I've always sent those as a PDF even though I wrote them in Word. I don't know where they are going to end up as forwarding an email is so easy, so I want to make something that isn't easy to modify.

I've also applied for formally for jobs using the HR websites of two large organizations. Both of them asked for an uploaded resume, which I did as a PDF. Then they asked me to fill in their form with the information from my resume. The website scanned this information from my PDF resume and I had only had to do some light editing.
That is true. I've gotten the same requests and just asked a friend of mine about this too, same thing. But the point is, just because they initially accept a PDF, doesn't mean the OP won't end up having to create a Word document anyway. It depends on the HR system being used. I don't understand why this is a hard concept for people to understand. HR gets tons of data each day and they are storing it in a format which is best for them to work with.

The whole thing is moot. The OP doesn't want to work anyway, and just admitted that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:46 AM

6,912 posts, read 3,768,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
The .pdf has been a standard and commonly used format for perhaps 20 years. Panicking over receiving a .pdf to read? Does she similarly panic if she receives a letter printed on off-white paper instead of brilliant white paper?

Since we no longer receive paper mail, then no. But she is still in the print paper/wet signature mindset so she will get upset if the print does not match the same font color letterhead as on the typeset formal letterhead paper we used 20 years ago. And then after printing, she will scan the print back in to produce an image for file rather than using the pdf software she was provided to create a pdf file without going through the print stage. She really has to feel the paper in her hands, just cannot get in the electronic mindset.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:51 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,519,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
If you are going to ask them why they want it in Word, don't bother, because you just eliminated yourself from further consideration by HR. Those people are not flexible.

But you prefer to spend an hour complaining about this. I believe you really don't want a job and you are using this to limit yourself from consideration. You have to ask yourself, do you really want to work or do you want to sit home with your LaTex resume and watch daytime soaps?
Asking, not complaining. I've forgotten how negative most people on CD are.

Quote:
And that hit the nail on the head of this little exercise by the OP. The issue isn't LaTex, it is to show rage against the machine that the employer are a bunch of sell-outs and are some sort of corporate shill for big commercial applications instead of accepting a LaTex file directly that could be uploaded via FTP. Gosh, I have known so many academics like this. They will spend a ton of money on computer hardware, but won't give a cent to a commercial application because they "don't want to spend the money" or some other defiant act.
No it isn't. The issue is to have a decent-looking resume, and Word documents are uglier and give you less control. Period.

Quote:
The whole thing is moot. The OP doesn't want to work anyway, and just admitted that.
I already have work. This is just a side thing. But I'm not going to waste my time jumping through hoops. I was curious as to why they want Word documents, and if you sift through all the negativity in this thread, I think the answer is that they want to modify my resume. Whether that's something a job applicant should feel comfortable with is a different discussion.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:57 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,802,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
The issue is to have a decent-looking resume, and Word documents are uglier and give you less control. Period.

The issue is that you submit in the format they prefer.
They don't care how pretty you make it.

Bottom line is that you really do not want this job.... no, you don't even want to be considered for it.
If you did, you would do as they ask.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 12-18-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 12:03 PM

5,942 posts, read 7,065,266 times
Quote:
Yeah, you by-pass HR entirely to e-mail your resume to the hiring manager but that takes work.

I was interviewed and saw when the interviewer's copy of my resume and it had been entirely re-formatted. It was distilled down to important information to them. When I was hired I was on a committee looking at resumes to fill a position, and all the resumes had the same format. It made things easier, if the requirement was someone had to have a Masters in CS, then I could easily look through 150 resumes to see the ones that did. If the requirement was XYZ years of experience in ABC software then I could see that too.

A lot of people also don't know how to write a resume and keep all kinds of useless information on it, like how they worked at summer camps, played hockey in high school, play drums as hobby, and junk that has nothing to do with the job. Worst of all, they put this information in an order which greatly hurts their chances of being considered for the position.

What you consider to be important isn't important to them. They are bringing forth the keywords of the job description.
You didn't actually read the whole of my very brief comment.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The issue is that you submit in the format they prefer.
They don't care how pretty you make it.

Bottom line is that you really do not want this job.... no, you don't even want to be considered for it.
If you did, you would do ask they ask.
That's seems to be a very extreme interpretation of the OP's comments here. Lots of employers ask for things from applicants that applicants are reluctant to provide and complain about having to provide. I complain about many, many parts of the application process even for jobs I do want. I even complain about things that I do in the end do.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:15 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,334,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Some do it to even the playing field for the candidate so that hiring team are not influenced by gender, race, and potential biases are removed.

Two sides of the same coin.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:13 PM

610 posts, read 586,077 times
It could be a test/screening. Inability to follow instructions would weed out applicants and make their job easier.
Just do what they ask and don't worry about the why.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
Just do what they ask and don't worry about the why.
My job description is to ask why. Granted, not about which format to use for documents, but it's a habit that carries over in the rest of life.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:27 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,678,124 times
In my case, when we were hiring a new admin to fill a vacant position, I liked having the Word version to see if they really knew how to even use it.

I come from a word processing background so I know there is a difference between how it APPEARS and how it was built. If I turned on paragraph marks and saw a bunch of spaces instead of tabs, or return marks instead of page breaks, or anything of that caliber, I knew they would not be a good fit for the department even if they had the greatest personality in the world.

I remember working at a company once that had hired an assistant that was perfectly lovely. However, she wasn't a good fit and was fired just a few months later. I was asked to fill in while they got a replacement. At some point, I hopped onto her computer to print off a copy of an 80-page presentation that the boss was asking for, and discovered that she had created the PPT presentation one slide at a time. Meaning, each slide was ITS OWN FILE. So she'd have a folder that said, "ABC Presentation 1-1-2015" and inside there would be files labeled "Slide 1.ppt," "Slide 2.ppt," etc.!!!

I was horrified that they hired someone like that, so I quickly suggested to the honchos that I be included on the hiring team, if only to test incoming administrative candidates on their computer skills. I began testing everyone that interviewed. I'd have them create a duplicate of a simple 3-page PPT presentation I had created. Part 1: Create a word table and import it into a PPT slide. Part 2: Create a basic Excel graph and import it into a PPT slide. Part 3: Create a basic bullet point slide. The result should have been a simple 3-page PPT presentation.

You don't know how many candidates did NOT get past me to the official interview stage because they didn't even have basic computer skills.

So as I said, in my case it helps me weed out the unqualified candidates for an administrative assistant role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or