U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:33 PM

659 posts, read 1,009,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post

I'd have them create a duplicate
of a simple 3-page PPT presentation I had created. Part 1: Create a word table and import it into a PPT slide. Part 2: Create a basic Excel graph and import it into a PPT slide. Part 3: Create a basic bullet point slide. The result should have been a simple 3-page PPT presentation.

You don't know how many candidates did NOT get past me to the official interview stage because they didn't even have basic computer skills.

So as I said, in my case it helps me weed out the unqualified candidates for an administrative assistant role.

The steps you outlined after the bolded are a very inefficient way to accomplish the stated goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 01:35 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,551,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
My job description is to ask why. Granted, not about which format to use for documents, but it's a habit that carries over in the rest of life.
Why is that?

Old 12-18-2015, 02:19 PM

15,236 posts, read 8,527,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I choose to do it in .tex because I have complete control over the formatting, it looks much more professional, and it's more portable: if I get a new computer, regardless of OS, I can use my .tex file and compile to .pdf. If I'm in Word, I have to buy a new MS Office license (or deal with something like OpenOffice). LaTeX is also standard technology in my field. Once you go .tex, you don't go back to Word.
You act like Word is outdated - LaTex was released in 1985! So are you in science or mathematics? Even there it's not what it used to be...no one who uses Word currently will switch to Latex. At least Microsoft provides similar interface for spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, etc. Also, you're never going to update your resume? Your resume contains some kind of special characters or equations? You're clinging to something used by a very narrow field - and HR is NOT one of those fields!

Old 12-18-2015, 02:29 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,551,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You act like Word is outdated - LaTex was released in 1985! So are you in science or mathematics? Even there it's not what it used to be...no one who uses Word currently will switch to Latex. At least Microsoft provides similar interface for spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, etc. Also, you're never going to update your resume? Your resume contains some kind of special characters or equations? You're clinging to something used by a very narrow field - and HR is NOT one of those fields!
Also, you can use a version of Word for free (Word Online) as a browser-based application for PC/Mac and as an app for tablets or smartphones. You can also share your documents across all your devices.

Same goes for Excel and OneNote, by the way.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:10 PM

6,847 posts, read 3,718,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I come from a word processing background so I know there is a difference between how it APPEARS and how it was built. If I turned on paragraph marks and saw a bunch of spaces instead of tabs, or return marks instead of page breaks, or anything of that caliber, I knew they would not be a good fit for the department even if they had the greatest personality in the world.

I remember working at a company once that had hired an assistant that was perfectly lovely. However, she wasn't a good fit and was fired just a few months later. I was asked to fill in while they got a replacement. At some point, I hopped onto her computer to print off a copy of an 80-page presentation that the boss was asking for, and discovered that she had created the PPT presentation one slide at a time. Meaning, each slide was ITS OWN FILE. So she'd have a folder that said, "ABC Presentation 1-1-2015" and inside there would be files labeled "Slide 1.ppt," "Slide 2.ppt," etc.!!!

I think she works for us now.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:19 PM

4,547 posts, read 2,320,866 times
i got an apartment rental application in microsoft works format recently. if i didnt have open-office, i wouldnt have been able to read it (i dont think ms-word wouldve been able to read it).

i wasnt able to save it in ms-works format so i saved it in pdf and sent it to them.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 12-18-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 05:40 PM

4,547 posts, read 2,320,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Why is that?
ctrl-c ; ctrl-v

Old 12-18-2015, 05:54 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Word was released in 1983. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Yes, I am in Math. I am not expecting anyone to switch over to creating .tex files. I'm expecting people to accept a .pdf file. I'm not going to make my resume in Word only for it to be uglier, look less professional, and have to deal with getting a new license for MS Office (which seems to run for $175 at the cheapest -- and MS Word alone seems to be $200 for some reason) every time I get a new computer. (That would have represented over a 30% price increase on the last computer I bought.)

0% of the issue is about LaTeX. The issue is only about .pdf files. I am clinging to .pdf files. I don't expect anyone to care how I created it. 100% of the world uses .pdf. I would say maybe 1% of jobs I've applied to have asked me for a Word document after the fact. If I disqualify myself from some subset of those 1% by only using .pdf, so be it. I don't want to jump through (certain) hoops. I want to work for someone who actually wants me working there. I don't really want people modifying my resume. By the way, they contacted me back afterward to talk further, so apparently it wasn't a deal-breaker.

As for the rest, I have no idea what you're talking about. No one in math who uses Word will switch over to LaTeX? People write papers and textbooks using tex all the time, never seen a textbook done in Word and I've seen maybe one or two papers in my entire life done in Word. 100% of math students in the country who are interested in publishing a paper learn to use LaTeX. By the way, LaTeX also has stuff for presentations. It's called Beamer (also looks nicer than PowerPoint). It doesn't have anything for spreadsheets, but that's not what it's designed for.

Anyway, as I said before, I was curious as to why Word, and I found that the answer is because they want to modify my resume. This thread has served its purpose. If you guys want to continue telling me what a jerk I am for giving someone a hard time or that all I care about is raging against the machine or that I really have no interest in working, by all means, go ahead.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:24 PM

359 posts, read 188,372 times
Not sure whether or not this has been said already, but when I applied to personnel agencies in the past and sent my resume in pdf format, I was asked to resend in .txt or .doc/docx formats instead. I later learned that it's because they wanted to remove my contact info to ensure their client wouldn't contact a candidate directly.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:50 PM

257 posts, read 447,559 times
I've never done a resume in PDF format in my 15+ years in the work force...that's new to me. I guess my question is, why did you complete your resume in a format that is historically done in Word, and expect the employer to accept your format?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or