Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 07:54 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,993,123 times

Advertisements

I have a very nice-looking resume in .pdf format (just talking about aesthetics, not necessarily content), and I got a request to send it to them in MS Word instead (not the first time this has happened). I did my resume in LaTeX, and quite frankly don't want to copy/paste it into Word and deal with all the annoying inevitable formatting issues.

So why do they want this? Pdf files are much more professional, and contain less identifying information about you/your computer as far as I know. And it's just as easy to copy/paste from or search in a .pdf file as a .doc/x file.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 08:02 AM

22,273 posts, read 47,206,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I did my resume in LaTeX, and quite frankly don't want to copy/paste it into Word and deal with all the annoying inevitable formatting issues.
Neither do they.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:07 AM

15,693 posts, read 20,211,420 times
I don't know the answer, but went back and looked at the 100 or so resumes I have saved on my PC from past job openings I've held interviews for, they are all done in MS word. Not one PDF.

HR screens before passing to me, so not sure if they are asking for MS word?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:09 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,528,967 times
I agree about the PDF. I wouldn't send a resume in Word even though I write my resume in Word. I've never had anybody who had a problem with the PDF.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:13 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,993,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Neither do they.
But why would they need to?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
But why would they need to?
I don't get it either. When an employer wants the information on a resume entered into a form, in my experience they just make you enter it into the form yourself. They aren't cutting and pasting from your document anyway.

Just as a general rule, I don't like to send Word documents to anybody who I don't want to edit that document. It's a small measure of control.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:28 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,090,649 times
Quote:
I have a very nice-looking resume in .pdf format (just talking about aesthetics, not necessarily content), and I got a request to send it to them in MS Word instead (not the first time this has happened). I did my resume in LaTeX, and quite frankly don't want to copy/paste it into Word and deal with all the annoying inevitable formatting issues.

So why do they want this? Pdf files are much more professional, and contain less identifying information about you/your computer as far as I know. And it's just as easy to copy/paste from or search in a .pdf file as a .doc/x file.
Because that's what they require. Put it in Word, or apply for another job.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Because that's what they require.
The theory that HR is completely random and that any attempt to use their conduct as a clue to their goals is indeed well supported by nearly all available evidence. But the OP is asking us to pretend, even though it may not be true, that we live in a world in which HR offices are at least marginally competent. It's a useful exercise, thought I admit I can't actually think of a reason either.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:55 AM

172 posts, read 179,915 times
It is possible that they are using an HRIS and they need to import your resume into the database. Might be easier with a word document than a pdf.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:02 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,963,198 times
Nor all places do this.

At my employer, the HM has the option to accept only the data from the web application software, or also require separate resume, cover letter, transcript, and other documents. It has never occurred to me to require these attachments in any specific format.

I have received attachments in a variety of formats. Word and PDF are by far the most prominent, but i have also received .jpg, .gif, .eps, .tiff, and a few others.

I can open most file formats, but I am not a graphic design person, nor do I hire graphic design, marketing, advertising, etc staff, so .eps is beyond me. I simply delete those candidates from consideration.

My suspicion is that people ask for word files as a holdover from years past when there were a number of incompatible word processing programs and it was a courtesy to tell applicants what the business needed.

As an applicant I have always submitted my resume as a PDF and I have never been contacted with a request to resend in word. This thread strikes me as a disingenuous complaint giving the same crew a chance to complain about HR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search