Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:04 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaPig View Post
It is possible that they are using an HRIS and they need to import your resume into the database. Might be easier with a word document than a pdf.
There are several different versions of Word but MSFT has supported "text level" import for all of them. That means that if the HRIS is using a MSFT SQL as the datastore the whole text of the resume is automatically stored. Then any queries are possible and whatever "keyword search" that hiring managers ask to be performed can be easily done.

In contrast, the PDF might just result in an "image" of the document and would require and extra step for "optical character recognition" before the text is searchable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 08:04 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,485 times
Because they are probably using some antiquated system that only allows Word docs which should give you a clue about their technical environment and make you reconsider working there being that it is almost 2016. Or the actual HR person is not used to anything else but Word docs and doesn't like change which should give you a clue about the people in that environment and make you reconsider working there being that it is almost 2016.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:07 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jew in the town View Post
Because sometimes they put your resume in a system that requires word document and so that they can put their work logo when submitting your resume over to the client. You can change and add stuff on a word document but you cannot on a pdf file.
That's been my experience also. They oftentimes what happens is that a recruiter or HR will compile a packet of the candidates to present to the decision-makers. They reformat so that the different candidates' materials are consistent.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:13 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In contrast, the PDF might just result in an "image" of the document and would require and extra step for "optical character recognition" before the text is searchable.
That's just not true, unless they have really old software. As recently as this week, I have fed my PDF resume into the on-line application systems of potential employers and had it parsed out into the various fields to save me from having to cut-paste everything into their database.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:23 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,170 times
Weird, we just hired someone on our team a couple months ago and most of the resumes were in pdf format. I always put my resume in pdf.

Maybe it has to do with your applicant tracking system.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:25 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,005,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's just not true, unless they have really old software. As recently as this week, I have fed my PDF resume into the on-line application systems of potential employers and had it parsed out into the various fields to save me from having to cut-paste everything into their database.
Definitely true. The Word requests are always made by email from an HR person after they look at your resume and demonstrate interest.

I just opened my .pdf with Word and there's just no way it's going to fit onto one page without deleting a few lines. I'll ask them why they need Word, and if I feel there's actually interest, chop a couple lines off my resume. But I'm not going to spend an hour making a "nice" resume template in Word that'll keep everything to 1 page when I have a perfectly nice .tex template.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:27 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Definitely true. The Word requests are always made by email from an HR person after they look at your resume and demonstrate interest.

I just opened my .pdf with Word and there's just no way it's going to fit onto one page without deleting a few lines. I'll ask them why they need Word, and if I feel there's actually interest, chop a couple lines off my resume. But I'm not going to spend an hour making a "nice" resume template in Word that'll keep everything to 1 page when I have a perfectly nice .tex template.
Please don't do that.

If they want it in Word, just send it in Word. It's mildly obnoxious, but it's not *that* big of a deal. Pestering your contact person about why they structure their hiring process as they do is just going to make you seem oddly oppositional/defiant. And it's not as though the "why" does you any good--what difference does it make to you if this person wants a Word document because they plan to edit everyone's resumes before handing them over or because their software is antiquated or because they own stock in Microsoft and want to encourage its use?

Copy. Paste. Select all. Choose a neutral font. Make sure it is an appropriate size. Fix any weird characters that didn't move across correctly, if necessary. You are looking at 5 minutes tops. Any other futzy formatting is gravy; no need to spend an hour if you would prefer not to.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:36 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,005,873 times
That's just false. Copy/pasting it into word (I just tried) like you said makes it look like I copy/pasted into notepad. Plenty of typos too.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:42 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
And it's not as though the "why" does you any good--what difference does it make to you if this person wants a Word document because they plan to edit everyone's resumes before handing them over or because their software is antiquated or because they own stock in Microsoft and want to encourage its use?
I really do not want some HR-administrative type to edit my resume. If they could understand the content of my resume, they'd have a real job. If there's no other way to get your resume into the hands of somebody who might understand it, then you have to do what you have to do, but let's not pretend there isn't a danger to you. It could very easy get stripped of important information or the key bits buried because the person editing doesn't know what is important.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,902,753 times
If you ask why they need it in Word, I can almost guarantee you that you won't be annoyed by them again! But seriously, I have heard they want in word because some places feed all the resumes into a system and do word searches - so they can easily pull up people who went to a certain school, ahve buzzwords on their resume that are desired. I've also heard of it used for nefarious purposes as well - employers look for certain graduation years and if you are too old, you don't get a second look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search