U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 AM

2,677 posts, read 3,866,102 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend has been working with a recruiter on a contract to hire job for a large employer in the area where we will be moving to next Spring (I already have a job and I'm working remote while they build out the new office). Recruiter called yesterday, said that they loved her and want to move forward. The next step is drawing up the contract (I think she will be working technically for the recruiting firm). They don't have a start date yet as they are finalizing budgets for Q1 2016, but once they do the contract will be drawn up. We are cautiously optimistic, as obviously they haven't sent the contract over yet, but it should be coming next week.

Just looking to see if any of you have insight as to how it is to work on a contract and are they really looking to hire at some point? They, said the contract would last at least through 2016 and the experience she would get, she would be able to get another job quickly if they were not to continue it. Please share, good experiences, bad experiences etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:14 AM

23,592 posts, read 17,589,896 times
I would not consider contract to hire any more than temporary employment. If you're relocating, it may be all you can do, but I'd look for permanent employment.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:31 PM

8,808 posts, read 13,301,562 times
Only 27% of temp-to-hire jobs turn permanent (Research done by the Upjohn Institute for Employment Research). They say all temp jobs nowadays are temp-to-hire to con people into taking lousy temp jobs. In general companies that play temp games are crappy companies. I would only take such a job if I were desperate, continue the job search with full effort as though you were unemployed, and leave at the first direct hire offer you get.

I have not found staffing/temp agencies a source for decent jobs.

What is going on with my temp to hire job?
1 year and 2 weeks, I'm still a temp...

Old 12-18-2015, 09:03 PM

2,745 posts, read 1,319,549 times
I used to work for a division of a large worldwide company. Temp to hire was the standard for new hires.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:10 PM

21,177 posts, read 11,797,310 times
I've had a few different jobs that started off as temp or part time and converted to permanent. I know things have changed but it's really tough getting a job long distance. I think she should take it with the hope that she can really show her stuff and they will want to bring her on as a permanent employee, while recognizing that she might not get that. But at least she'd be working in the new location, which would give her more of a chance of finding a different job if this one doesn't convert.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:34 PM

8,808 posts, read 13,301,562 times
I would assume from the start that the job is temp and the company has no intention of hiring (73% chance that is correct). Therefore, do not let up at all with the job search while working the so called temp-to-hire job.

I also worked for a large worldwide company as a temp and they were and still are total scum.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:35 PM

23,592 posts, read 17,589,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I would assume from the start that the job is temp and the company has no intention of hiring (73% chance that is correct). Therefore, do not let up at all with the job search while working the so called temp-to-hire job.

I also worked for a large worldwide company as a temp and they were and still are total scum.
Agreed - she should think of it as temping and nothing more.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:38 PM

142 posts, read 140,254 times
I've worked two contract to hire positions in my 20+ year career. Ironically, back to back. The first seemed pretty good, but I ended up absolutely hating the environment. It was supposed to be a 6 month contract to hire position, but I ended up leaving after 3 months for what was going to be another contract to hire for an even bigger company.

I interviewed for the second position and they loved me, but they were taking an incredibly long time to get back to me. I got fed up and called the recruiter to tell her I wasn't interested anymore. She called the client and they basically apologized, paid out the full 6 month contract and hired me directly (with stock options!). That job turned out to be the one that really defined my career and I ended up working there for over a decade.

The bottom line is it really varies with the company, the job, the people you work with and even the financial strength of the company, etc. etc.

Good luck!

Old 12-19-2015, 04:23 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,261,014 times
It depends on the industry. I have done quite a bit of contracting (6 roles) over the course of my career and have had only 2 of the positions be offered to me full-time. With that being said, the contract roles did offer me the chance to get a lot of great experience on my resume that helped me get into a new career field after getting my degree.

Your wife should carefully review the contract, and check the terms. Most contracts will specify the approximate dates, the hourly rate, and if it is temporary or temp to possible hire. While she is working the job, she can do some casual research to see if some of her colleagues were hired in via contract-to-full time.

Contract assignments are generally a pretty good deal as long as healthcare benefits are affordable elsewhere (a spouse's coverage/bought through a low cost monthly plan, etc.) and the job will be 40+ hours a week since almost all of these roles are paid hourly. Some contract roles out of the immediate area also offer a per diem for living expenses but this is less common. At the very least, it is income--if it looks unlikely she will get hired it, then she can wait towards the end of the contract and go on the job hunt again and try to secure something before the end of the contract. I have had pretty good luck doing that in the past.

Main two things: 1) No guarantees that it will or will not lead to her being hired, and 2) Look closely at the terms of the contract for hours, pay, and duration to see if it makes sense.

Good luck and hopefully she enjoys the position. I would personally go back to contracting since it was a lot of fun and I got to work for so many different companies but I am in my upper 40's now , a sole breadwinner and need to have a stable source of income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or