U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 01:07 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,869,413 times

Advertisements

I wish I had the time to go through this entire board but I just realized that there was a Job Search section.

My situation:

Currently, I live in the Maryland area near Washington DC and I am an employee at a large global consulting firm, Company A, and pursuing other options. I recently received an offer with a large government contracting firm, Company B. This offer has a number of Pros and Cons listed below. I will ultimately make the decision but want to solicit unbiased anonymous opinion (That's you!).

Pros with going to Company B
1. ~35% base pay increase - Damn!
2. 0% travel - My current company, Company A, requires travel from Mon-Thu, though it is every other week.
3. Government clearance - not a super high one, but this increases marketability in the DC area
4. Good Position - It's not better but different enough so that I don't feel like I will be bored.
5.Very short commute

Cons with going to Company B
1. CONTRACT IS UP FOR RENEWAL - The job may not exist in a couple of months
2. About half of quantity of vacation days
3. No bonuses - I currently get 5-10% bonus (possibly more not a guarantee)
4. I have to make the decision in 2 days

The Twist!
1. If I accept the offer it will be contingent on my background check which typically takes a couple of months. If that remains true, I should get approved after I find out if the contract is renewed. If it's not renewed, I get no job but keep my clearance.

2. I have another solid company that I am interviewing with. If I accept I won't pursue it any more. Should I try to rush it?

3. If I stay where I'm at I should get a promotion at about 20% pay bump but will need to leave sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 01:18 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,979,525 times
I'd stay at A. There does not appear to be an urgent need to leave A and, if you are going to jump ship, go for a job that is not up for renewal.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:01 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times
Why can't you accept the job offer and wait to see if the contract is renewed? Don't give your notice until you have a firm offer. I cannot imagine the company would extend an offer to you without the contract renewed. I would think they would take their time with the background check so they have you ready to go if needed.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:54 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,869,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Why can't you accept the job offer and wait to see if the contract is renewed? Don't give your notice until you have a firm offer. I cannot imagine the company would extend an offer to you without the contract renewed. I would think they would take their time with the background check so they have you ready to go if needed.
Thanks to both of you. I think I will exercise this option. I was already considering doing it and I like being in control of my destiny (rather than waiting around at company A). I will just have to have faith that the background check takes long enough that I will know for sure if the contract is renewed before I have to start work. By the way, they did extend the offer before renewal (contractors do this all the time as the current staff tends to jump ship before the end of the contract) I will certainly not give notice until I am given my start date and that occurs AFTER the background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search