U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 07:21 PM

454 posts, read 400,998 times

Advertisements

The other day I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, it went really well and he had said I am a really good fit for the position and invited me in for a face to face to meet with the team.

I went to the interview and had some one on one time with the manager, then we went to a conference room for a more technical panel interview with some of his peers. Totally not uncommon to be interviewed by more senior level folks in other positions.

It was going really well, and then about an hour into it. One of the interviewers started diving into my coding skills. And it felt what I would imagine a software engineer would be interviewed like and I couldn't answer the questions.

Then we dove back into the technical part of what I do day to day and nailed it. Was almost 3 hours long.

I am a bit worried that bombing the coding part ruined my chances. So in my position we do some coding, but its at a much different level and much less then what a software engineer would do. So basically I was not prepared at all to answer these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 07:39 AM

9,792 posts, read 17,010,948 times
What type of resposne are you looking for? No one here can tell you what the potential employer thinks or what they will do. Brush up on your coding skills so you are more prepared for your next interview.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:37 AM

23,643 posts, read 17,615,071 times
It depends on what the job requires.

If you exaggerated your qualifications then got exposed, you might have blown it. If they were asking questions about technologies that weren't listed in the description or aren't that relevant, it might not be a dealbreaker.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:29 PM

13 posts, read 7,053 times
It sounds like you had an extensive interview. Hopefully during the interview you connected with the hiring pannel. I'm sure the hiring pannel realize that there isn't a perfect candidate and the behavior you exhibited demonstrated that you are quick.on your feet and can be a fast learner in potential areas of weakness. Sending positive vibes your way.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:03 AM

403 posts, read 316,927 times
We all had experiences when we know the interview didn't go well and had to accept that we would not get hired. So OP you may have to move on and learn from this interview experience so that you can be ready for the next interview about coding skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search