Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:00 AM

403 posts, read 472,648 times

Advertisements

Someone at my job just got hired after working as a temp since July and is now permanent. The way things are now with unemployment only being 26 weeks people really have no choice but to register with a temp agency since 6 months can go so fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 10:13 AM

635 posts, read 753,696 times
I will say I have been screwed over by temp agencies but you can gauge which ones will help you in the long-run. Also, the company you are interviewing for should be an indicator of when they bring you on full-time (big corporations tend to hire you on quicker vs smaller ones from what I've seen). During the interview, it should be discussed how long it will take to become a permanent employee. 99% of the time, companies have never went back from their word. Also, if a company doesn't bring you on after X amount of months, you need to start asking why. Either the employee is doing something wrong, it wasn't put in the contract that the employee would be brought on after X months, etc.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I will say I have been screwed over by temp agencies but you can gauge which ones will help you in the long-run. Also, the company you are interviewing for should be an indicator of when they bring you on full-time (big corporations tend to hire you on quicker vs smaller ones from what I've seen). During the interview, it should be discussed how long it will take to become a permanent employee. 99% of the time, companies have never went back from their word. Also, if a company doesn't bring you on after X amount of months, you need to start asking why. Either the employee is doing something wrong, it wasn't put in the contract that the employee would be brought on after X months, etc.
But if someone's unemployment has run out I think it's still better to be a temp who still has not been hired permanently than not having a job at all. Temp agencies are never more than ever today since there are no more unemployment extensions.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:57 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
I'd rather just lie and fake a job than work for d-bag agency and company that treats their workers like excrement just to say I am currently employed. It isn't worth devaluing myself nor my profession accepting their Sh_t offers.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'd rather just lie and fake a job than work for d-bag agency and company that treats their workers like excrement just to say I am currently employed. It isn't worth devaluing myself nor my profession accepting their Sh_t offers.
But if the UC runs out the options are limited which is why the temp agency becomes a must for some folks.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:33 PM

That is why I make absolutely sure I have as much savings as possible so I am not in a position where I am deseperate enough to deal with those slimeballs even if it means going back to school for a career change.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That is why I make absolutely sure I have as much savings as possible so I am not in a position where I am deseperate enough to deal with those slimeballs even if it means going back to school for a career change.

Temp agencies have to make money though because if they allow everyone to get hired quickly they would not be able to exist.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:49 PM

They should not be able to exist except under narrow guidelines for temp rather than what they are being used for now which is a conspiracy to thwart employment laws and scr#w over workers.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:01 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,256,865 times
I am currently temping at a major healthcare player. During the very informal interview it was mentioned that there is a lot of work to be done, they have had temps go perm, and it would be very likely my position would go perm. Stop me if you.ve heard that before! However, I believed her, and lo and behold I have an interview 2morrow. It is not a slam-dunk though. They brought in 6 temps and at least 3 of us are wanting to go permanent. I hope and pray I get it because I have struggled for the past 3 years betwern temp positions, unemployment, and perm jobs I landed but were so awful I quit. I.ll post more when I know if I made the cut. I am at the end of my rope with the job search! Never in my life have I been through the ringer that this recession created. Pitting 6 temps against each other doesn.t sit well with me and created 2 cliques... luckily my peeps are brainiacs!

Old 12-20-2015, 06:21 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I am currently working with a staffing agency for a direct placement position. This is at a smallish company that doesn't have much HR, and the agency is basically working as HR.

That said, if it's contract work, I'd expect it to be no more than temporary. Some probably turn out fine. I got burned by TEKSystems and will never work for an agency again if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search