Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times

Advertisements

i've temped a few times in my life - about 15-16 years ago in nyc, i worked steadily and didn't really want a permanent job. it was fine.

then about 10 years ago in pittsburgh i worked for a temp agency that specialized in nonprofits. i got hired by my second assignment and worked there for 4 years. the organization kept me as a temp for 6 months and then hired me because the agreement was that they had to go through the agency for 6 months or pay a fee to hire me before that (which is pretty typical). i got a 50% raise and benefits when i was hired permanently.

for me it was a good opportunity because i didn't have a degree or much experience and i got the chance to demonstrate what i was capable of instead of trying to get employers to take my word for it in an application process. i probably wouldn't even have gotten an interview for this job if i'd applied to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 05:52 PM

71 posts, read 58,461 times
I'm trying out OfficeTeam. I already had an interview, and will be going in tomorrow to sign a couple of papers. I'll let you know what my experience with them is like. Hopefully, they can land me a job.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:13 PM

635 posts, read 753,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Faith in GA View Post
I'm trying out OfficeTeam. I already had an interview, and will be going in tomorrow to sign a couple of papers. I'll let you know what my experience with them is like. Hopefully, they can land me a job.
I've had good luck with their company in the past My advice is to follow up with temp agencies on a weekly basis, letting them know your availability. That way, they remember your name and how badly you are wanting a position.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I've had good luck with their company in the past My advice is to follow up with temp agencies on a weekly basis, letting them know your availability. That way, they remember your name and how badly you are wanting a position.
Thanks for the response. I just got a call from them on Christmas Eve about an internal position! Hopefully it works out!

Old 01-07-2016, 02:55 PM

Unfortunately the company (Office Team) seems a sham. The position they posted must have been false advertising or already filled. No mention of it when I had a FaceTime interview with them. Later they called me about an internal position. Interview was alright- the two women who interviewed me were as fake as fake can be. The last interviewer emphasized that the manager- the other interviewer- would be giving me a call soon. The manager herself said she would be calling candidates back for a "shadow day" and then she will choose someone for the job. Monday, I emailed her, giving her an update on my number and she responds with a message stating "happy new year, I've been meaning to get in touch with you, we found an internal applicant for the job, but I still want to help you with your job search." I've been jobless for 6 months. I'm out of faith

Old 01-08-2016, 09:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Pretty much all companies that I work for require an agency for transparency reasons.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,761 times
Looking for a job has never been an easy task. From past six months, I was struggling for a suitable job but all in vain. After an exhaustive research, I came to know about staffing agencies. These agencies have transformed the way we look for jobs, making our searches quicker, easier and much more accessible to employers. Now I can say finding a job through staffing agency is one of the best and reliable way.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:31 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
My experience with temp agencies have not been good at all, however that is not to disparge those how had success with temp agencies.

Most recently I had an interview lined up with X company,the temp confirmed that I was interested, company confirmed that they where interested in me. Next up, the temp agency had to call up X company to confirm what time my interview would be. And they never did... they never called the company, in spite of me checking multiple times leading up to the interview. My guess is that X company simply went with somebody else and the temp agency was to dam lazy to let me know.

Honestly I have had more luck finding a job on my own without a middle man, however the job seeker should not abandon temp agencies. Rather temp agencies are another arrow in your quiver (in addition to linkedin, indeed etc...) in order to find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search