Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 12:10 AM

28 posts, read 52,738 times

Advertisements

I got employment gaps on my resume due to a criminal record that makes it hard for me to find work. Is it possible to cover up these gaps with fake employers? I read somewhere that there are websites that can fabricate fake companies with fake references with callback numbers for a fee.

1) Would this evade the hiring company's HR?

2) Could this work? If not, what could work?

3) If I post these fake companies on sites like LinkedIn, would HR find out?

Last edited by taurusx5; 11-29-2015 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 08:23 AM

888 posts, read 804,898 times
Using fake firms to cover up a criminal record? Just put down your bank robbing as experience with cash handling.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:57 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,610 times
unless you're looking for work at places that don't do background checks you're out of luck. Companies do employment and criminal records searches. So if you say you were working at ABC company, and you were really in jail they will find out. Also, i wouldn't recommend putting fake companies on Linkedin as then you're really inviting scrutiny.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
You have a criminal record and want to lie to get s job and wonder if you can get away with it?

Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
You can do whatever the heck you want. Just don't be surprised when your web of lies comes crashing down someday.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:00 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
I got employment gaps on my resume due to a criminal record that makes it hard for me to find work. Is it possible to cover up these gaps with fake employers? I read somewhere that there are websites that can fabricate fake companies with fake references with callback numbers for a fee.

1) Would this evade the hiring company's HR?

2) Could this work? If not, what could work?

3) If I post these fake companies on sites like LinkedIn, would HR find out?
These companies do exist and their value is dependent on a few things. If the company your applying for is some small business that does not do any form of background check, you may be able to get away with is. However, more and more companies are using the services of background screening companies or subscribing to background check databases.

Just like with any business, background screening companies run the gambit from low bid el'cheapo to Grand Daddy Gotcha. So your ability to get away with it is also dependent on the quality of the screening company. Those business that sell you a fake background reference is wholly dependent on a poor screening. So, if you get a poor screening, you may get away with it that one time, but, if you get anything else, odds are they will discover the truth.

Business who employ people have a physical and electronic fingerprint all over the place. EIN numbers, unemployment payments, business credit reports, new employee hire databases, business directories; you name it they will appear someplace. Trying to successfully create a fake company or fake employment is riddle with mines. Once a fake company, fake reference or the person person using it is discovered, you can kiss any background/employment check goodbye as they will always red flag that notation. Imagine trying to get a simple job as a cook at Burger King and that fake info pops up as a red flag! You won;t even be able to as if they want fries with their burger because of your fraudulent attempt at fake employment.

So, you try this and get caught (once is normally all it takes to get red flagged) and you have an arrest; now I ask, what chance do you think you will ever have again to get a job? There are hundreds of post right here on CD fro those who served time and they say that although it can be tough, you just have to march on. There are employers who judge based on the merits and circumstances and will give you a chance; and, as sure as today is today, there are those employers who will pass on you just because of your past; don;t go proving to both of them that you worthless by doing something stupid like faking your background!

Old 11-30-2015, 11:34 AM

71 posts, read 58,461 times
Some jobs don't have in-depth background checks. They mostly search for criminal history and that's about it. I have known people who put down fake jobs with fake references and got hired. In fact someone I knew put down a fake daycare and used a fake reference to land a job as a teacher at a Bright Horizon facility. I also heard about some administrator working on a college campus getting busted for stealing money, to find out she had a criminal history. I swear some places don't even bother with a lot of stuff. I know of people who have criminal histories, but still manage to get jobs that I been trying to get. Sometimes it's not about what you know, but who you know. A lot of people fake it until they make it. I don't see anything wrong if you're just a good person trying to make, as long as you're not harming people, go ahead and skillfully maneuver around the flaws of the job system.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:15 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
It is all about managing risk. Each lie is a risk and your risk of getting caught depends on what the lie is about. As for morality. After seeing the hiring practices at many companies I don't think there is any ethical obligations to follow the rules in a dysfuntional, unfair, and one-sided game.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:01 PM

28 posts, read 52,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

Business who employ people have a physical and electronic fingerprint all over the place. EIN numbers, unemployment payments, business credit reports, new employee hire databases, business directories; you name it they will appear someplace. Trying to successfully create a fake company or fake employment is riddle with mines. Once a fake company, fake reference or the person person using it is discovered, you can kiss any background/employment check goodbye as they will always red flag that notation.
Hi Rabrrita, I appreciate your kind words and concern. In my situation I'm always discriminated from jobs because of my criminal record. In this circumstance I need to be creative. I got questions..

1) Do you actually think companies check your unemployment payment history? Is that possible given that its personal info?

2) How can they know if you worked at a fake company with fake references? If HR calls the fake firm and gives a fake reference dont you think you can get away with it?

3) In case HR verifies past W-2s, cant you print fake ones and get away with it?

4) What if I say I had a "business" and it failed. Cant I use that on my resume to fill in gaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Faith in GA View Post
Some jobs don't have in-depth background checks. They mostly search for criminal history and that's about it. I have known people who put down fake jobs with fake references and got hired. .
Hi Having Faith in GA.. The people that you know who used false info, did any they get hired in the finance industry?

Can you please tell me how they used this fake info?

Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
1) Do you actually think companies check your unemployment payment history? Is that possible given that its personal info?

2) How can they know if you worked at a fake company with fake references? If HR calls the fake firm and gives a fake reference dont you think you can get away with it?

3) In case HR verifies past W-2s, cant you print fake ones and get away with it?

4) What if I say I had a "business" and it failed. Cant I use that on my resume to fill in gaps?
1. Private employers do not have access to these records. Some of the background checking companies do. Many of these background/employment verification services are either an off shoot of private investigators (a legal distinction opening up different resources) or they also provided HR management. There is one national HR processing company that lets these background/employment services subscribe to their databases that lets them know when a certain person was first paid by and last paid by an employer they process payroll for.

2. Ah, but a fake firm probably will not have an EIN. They may not have any presence anyplace that can be verified. Just like individuals have credit files, business also have them. It's kind of hard to use a company that none of the business valuation or profiling companies have any information on. You have business licenses, tax certificates, advertisement, BBB listing, Chamber of Commence, something is out there on legitimate business. Although these companies may go to great lengths to create such a company, once detected, anyone using that info is flagged as suspicious.

3. You can if you have the EIN. But once again, there is more to the verification process than just calling a number that you gave them. In many cases, people who get away with this is because the company hiring them are just lazy or don;t care enough to verify information. Heck we have people posting who legitimately worked for a company that went out of business and because the business footprint was too small, the verification company refuses to clear them.

4. Sure, but that in itself is often a red flag. Saying you had a business and it failed raises the red flag of why hire a failure?

The issue people who fake these things ave to realize is it's all a lie. When you lie, things have a way to come back around. Sure you hear people say they were successful at it, but the vast majority of what we hear is it came back to bite them in the rear.

Technology and information exchange is becoming more and more integrated into your personal life. We had an applicant who was flagged by our background company because they already had a file on that person where they claimed they worked from 1998 to 2009 for a company. They submitted an application with the dates of 1998 to 2010, one year later to hide a period of unemployment. Since both applications were being handled by the same verification company, the inconsistency was caught and flagged.

As some have said, it's risk versus reward. Just realize that the risk increases every time you try. Additionally, when things like this come up (and even discussed) we employers are being trained to distrust what you say. We didn't start this whole verification because we like spending extra money on hiring honest people, No, we started it because candidates for positions have taught us that they will and do lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search