U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 04:59 PM

11,285 posts, read 8,455,818 times

Advertisements

You've earned the bonus. Keep up the good work!

You need to do your best at the interview and see what happens in that direction. You may or may not get a job offer so let's not think too hard about it. Don't be distracted. With the holidays, there may not be much movement in the new company hiring process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 05:27 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,208,676 times
You could always negotiate your start date if hired, especially if it's only a week or so away from the bonus.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:44 PM

789 posts, read 1,682,902 times
You can also negotiate a signing bonus with the new company to compensate you for the bonus that you would lose at the old company. It was standard in my industry to let you know your raise and bonus amount at the end of the company's fiscal year, but not to pay the bonus until several months later (after prime hiring season). While no longer in that specific industry, I've since used the same tactic of negotiated to the signing bonus in order to remain "whole."

Old 12-18-2015, 05:58 PM

7,970 posts, read 9,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You could always negotiate your start date if hired, especially if it's only a week or so away from the bonus.
This^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
You can also negotiate a signing bonus with the new company to compensate you for the bonus that you would lose at the old company. It was standard in my industry to let you know your raise and bonus amount at the end of the company's fiscal year, but not to pay the bonus until several months later (after prime hiring season). While no longer in that specific industry, I've since used the same tactic of negotiated to the signing bonus in order to remain "whole."

and this^^^

Both of these will work....bonus if you can get them both.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:01 PM

7,970 posts, read 9,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
If the bonus is for work they've already done.
um, are there bonuses out there given for future work??

and every company I've worked for requires you to be employed on the date of the bonus to receive the bonus. But these are discretionary bonuses; not ones written into contracts.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:27 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,206,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
What the hell do I do in this situation?
This is no different than people leaving a company who have stock option grants and need to be employed there past a certain date in order to get them. Companies are use to this. I wouldn't mention the bonus until they make an offer, and tell them you have a bonus and need to start later than a certain date. If they say no, they need you sooner ask if they can giving you a signing bonus. Don't delay the interviewing process though.

In reality, companies can so move slowly with three rounds of interviews it might be a while until you are on the payroll.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:53 PM

21,210 posts, read 11,832,330 times
just keep going with the interview process and if you get an offer, negotiate your start date for after you get the bonus, assuming you know for sure they they will be given out.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:54 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,485,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
um, are there bonuses out there given for future work??

and every company I've worked for requires you to be employed on the date of the bonus to receive the bonus. But these are discretionary bonuses; not ones written into contracts.
There are different kinds of bonuses. You could have a bonus you earned individually (i.e meeting a sales goal), which you defintely would be due. You could have a bonus for you earned as pat of a team, which I would still think you could argue that you were due - although not as convincingly. Finally, there are purely discretionary bonuses, which a manager could opt not to provide, since you are leaving.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:48 AM

11,164 posts, read 8,570,826 times
Quote:
It's a complete career change. Same salary, need to take mass transit so it'll end up being a slight hit actually but with the long term potential of making more.

It's going from a trading ops role to F500 corporate finance.
FYI. Changing from trading ops to finance is a great move. There are more options in finance.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:44 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,340,535 times
Quote:
What the hell do I do in this situation?
i was in a similar situation; but the bonus was two months away; i told my perspective employer about it during the interview, as bonuses are quite common in my field. They ended up offering a 45% increase in pay; a sign-on bonus and a written guarantee of the bonus payable in the beginning of the of the year (which would have been the amount of my previous employer bonus)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or