U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 02:50 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,987,291 times

Advertisements

I worked for many years at one company - a company with a very large number of departments that were every few years reconfigured, repurposed, and renamed. While my job title remained largely the same, my duties occasionally changed dramatically. This was especially true of my last 10 years at the company.

Basically every time a new president came in (once every 5-7 years), there would be a mass reshuffling and all kinds of new mission statements, and you'd be told: "You're working for this department and this person now. Oh, and you're going to be doing THIS now." At the end, I worked closely with many people, none of whom considered themselves my supervisor. (Fortunately, I did get some great references, but I couldn't call any of them my supervisor, though they were high above me in the hierarchy and I had to do what they asked. The only way I can characterize them is "colleague," which makes it sounds like they were my friends on the same level or something, but they weren't - they were my bosses in everything but name. I often had nothing to do whatsoever with the people who were officially my supervisors on paper.)

The reshufflings gave me a wide range of skills, but it has made my resume look... strange. And it's hard to explain this internal chaos about my company to people, without making it look like I'm badmouthing the company.

I'd like to think that my resume shows increasing responsibility, increasing skills and knowledge, and a lot of achievements, but I worry that the chaotic internal practices of this company are confusing to people who read my resume. I have tried to break up my history at the company along functional lines in a chronology that makes sense, but I'm afraid that employers just see it and don't know what to make of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:27 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,112,960 times
I would list internal moves on my resume like this:

ACME, 1/2004-1/2010
Widget Counter, City, ST, 1/2004-1/2006
Widget Counter II, 1/2006 - 1/2008
Widget Counter III, 1/2008 - 1/2010

Then list all of your duties or accomplishments.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,440,540 times
As listed by lovely40, a progression in responsibility (and pay) demonstrates an accomplished employee moving up. What raises a red flag for an employer is the person whose resume implies demotions. Sometimes the titles will hurt you, going from a title with "analyst" in it to "administrative assistant" for example. You can hep overcome it by describing the duties in a way that shows an increased responsibility, and using "reorganization" as the reason for "leaving" the previous position.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:13 PM

Thanks. (Fortunately I don't have that problem)

Old 12-23-2015, 06:59 AM

3,251 posts, read 1,238,892 times
There are different ways to put together a resume. As opposed to a chronological resume, you may want to write a skills based version. That will play to your strengths and show what you know. My advice, and it's the same to everyone, is to hire a professional resume writer. It should cost few hundred dollars, but not only will they get it written, they are usually experts at the kinds of resumes to write and wil provide you with scannable, keyword, and other types. Sometimes it's not just what the resumes says, but how it's built that can make the difference between one that is read and one tha is discarded

Old 12-23-2015, 08:42 AM

Thanks. My problem is that because of my internal reassignments, I acquired a lot of skills but they don't really fit a *typical* career path. I'm afraid that when I apply for one type of job, people see "Oh, look at all these other things - she must be an X person, we don't want an X person" or "A Y person, we're not looking for a Y person." I try to emphasize successful projects and achievements -- because despite my internal reassignments, there is a logical (if not typical) career narrative in there, there's a progression - but the constant rewriting and reordering of resumes is getting exhausting. I tried coming up with two or three "base resumes" to cover general categories of jobs I apply for.

I don't live in a great job market, so I have to apply for very different types of jobs sometimes, I don't have the luxury of laser targeting one specific career segment. I don't know if any resume company could come up with a single resume that would appeal to every place I need to apply to.

However, I will definitely consider getting it done professionally so I can at least hope to get past the machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search