Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:01 PM

359 posts, read 301,899 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for a job at an animal shelter and while it is paid, the salary is low. To be expected I guess.

Here are some of the duties working conditions:

- Clean cages / kennels for 1-2 hours per 4 hour shift depending on number of animals on site. All they offer is part time.
- Administer oral meds and eye drops to animals as requested by the vet tech on duty.
- Light paperwork to record anomalies / communicate problems with management. Write mini reports.
- Walk dogs for 1-1.5 hours per shift.

Dog walking specifics:
- Inspect their poo (#2) if it's liquid (diarrhea), blood, irregular and report to management (insert in report) and of course clean it up
- Scoop leaves/twigs/brush over their pee (#1) to hide it because the walking paths cross a state park and the management doesn't want to the paths to resemble a toilet considering it's public property

- No cell phones allowed even on walks. Note that walks are scheduled before sunrise and after sunset. Management says they want workers to be fully focused on their jobs. I get they don't want employees to text their friends instead of working but the last place where cell phones were not allowed was a bank and that was to protect customers' financial info. But requiring employees to walk dogs alone, in the dark, without their phone has me on edge. What if there's a medical emergency with me or the dog, someone tries to hurt us / rob me, etc. ?

No benefits since part time.

I have a college degree and the pay is slightly higher than minimum wage. I took the job since I need something over the next few weeks since money is tight and I'm hoping to get a reference, but what do you think of the above conditions? They seem a little much for the low pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 06:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
It's a low skill job, so it's going to have low wages.

I would start my own dog walking business before I spent much time on this job, but it doesn't sound unreasonable.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:20 PM

Low skill therefore low wages .. I get that. I contacted several shelters/kennels and related companies and most wanted prior experience handling animals and/or a vet tech diploma/ etc. I'm just starting out in this field and am hoping to learn enough on the job, develop references and then consider opening my own service. I guess you could say this place is a cheap way to get on the job training rather than paying to go back to school, but with the conditions described in my OP, I'm not sure how long I can tolerate it. The management sounds rather controlling.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:24 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Actually the duties sound about what should be expected for that type of facility.

So you have one of two choices. Take the job or not.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
If it won't wear you out, take the job and network, network, network. Then after you know a lot more people, you might want to start a dog-walking/house sitting business.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
When I was first starting my business in 1993 and needed additional income, I took a job at an animal hospital as janitor. I worked M-F evenings and about 4 hours on Sunday when they were closed for a more thorough cleaning. Many of the same duties though I didn't have to handle animals, and back then they paid me $10/hour. Fortunately business picked up after less than a year and I quit, but it's really not fun work.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:26 PM

144 posts, read 115,071 times
yes.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:37 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Sounds about right. Stick your phone in your pocket; don't use it unless there is an emergency.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:13 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Sounds like a job for those who REALLY love animals.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Stick your phone in your pocket; don't use it unless there is an emergency.
That's what I was thinking too but the manager said cell phones are forbidden. They take them hostage at the beginning of the shift and return them at the end. I'm worried this will leave me vulnerable to attack in the dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search