U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 12:37 PM

393 posts, read 261,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What incentive do employers have to help their good employees quit the company?
None, but by the actions of some people in some firms it would appear that they are clueless to this fact
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 03:32 PM

43 posts, read 28,622 times
I've changed mine to reflect closer to what I actually did. A lot of companies have very non descriptive functional titles (e.g., Developer I, Developer II, Developer III, etc.) Soon after working at a place, I put a title at the bottom of my emails that is more descriptive about what I do. As long as I don't get any objections from my boss, I continue to use it and that's what will later go on my resume.

At one company, I was hired as a Project Manager. This went on my business cards and email .sig as it was expected of me (even though on my pay stub it would say 'Developer IV'). I think that most recruiters expect that there may be a difference between what a person is hired as and how the job is classified by HR. Additionally, the work that someone is doing may change significantly since the time of their hiring and turn into something very different. It can be very difficult for a manager particularly in a large company to request a change in formal job titles with corporate HR. Consequently, many managers are ok with some job title naming variance on the email .sig and business card and later resume if it accurately reflects what the person is doing.

I managed a technical writer who went on to manage our CMS. He spent a few years doing this 70% of his time. If he put CMS Adminstrator on his resume (even though he might be Tech Writer III on some HR classification), if I received a call years later from a recruiter asking about his CMS Admin position that he had had on my team, I would have no objections to that.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:42 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,069,237 times
Marketing administrator

Old 12-20-2015, 05:45 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,069,237 times
I'm pretty sure employers already know what Developer is.
Put Developer on your resume and briefing describe your responsibilities under that heading.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:49 PM

11,259 posts, read 8,414,613 times
I change the heck out of my resume! I have 5 different resumes stored on one employment site. Depends on the job I'm applying for. They all have different titles.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:59 PM

3,860 posts, read 1,634,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
When is it ok? Not ok?
Depends on what you mean by "ok".

My question is: How would they ever know? MOST employers don't spend too much time on the background check. Worst case scenario... you won't be working for those few that do.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:49 PM

10,305 posts, read 11,212,063 times
Let's see, you have a job that has a certain title and you're thinking of listing a different title on your resume?

The only reason I can imagine a prospective employer considering it lying is because it would be lying!

Other than that I really can't see any problem with it.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:28 AM

12,886 posts, read 8,725,709 times
Changing the title means you're taking on a risk. If you gotten a job that you don't qualified for you'll be picked out soon.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:39 AM

5,247 posts, read 5,165,323 times
Have you ever just thought about asking your employer to change your title, being that you're involved in such a small operation? My husband works for a global company but during his review, he asked if he could now be the "Senior XYZ" rather than just the "XYZ" because it would be more beneficial when applying to jobs in the future.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:02 AM

26,304 posts, read 12,831,657 times
It depends. I am in a odd role quite often, a cross between the old school QA role of manually testing things, and a software developer. I write test automation software. Places hire me, and label me as everything from QA, Test automation engineer, software engineer, and SDET.

I can do pretty much any of the jobs described that way. Even worse...some jobs start as one job, and morph into another.

So I tend to label my job as per the job title at the time on my resume, but then later during the actual interview I will use the preferred terminology of the company I am applying too.

Job titles these days are not extremely helpful. What used to be "Janitor" is now "Sr Sanitation Engineer"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search