Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 12:02 PM

299 posts, read 439,795 times

Advertisements

When is it ok? Not ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 12:14 PM

912 posts, read 914,758 times
I think it depends on whether it's accurate and better communicates your role.

For instance, my title never technically changed during my 8 years with my last employer, but my duties certainly did, dramatically. So, in that case, I break out the 8 years with different role names to better communicate my primary duties during that specific duration with that company. If not, I'd have one role name and a looooonnnggg list of tasks that make no sense as to why the same person would be doing lower level and upper level duties.

Also, if I only list the duties I did at the height of my employment before I left, it might be a turnoff to some employers because it would incorrectly appear that in 8 years I had the same role and never moved up, which I did in pay and responsibility, but not in title because I'd need the president's title to do that.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:17 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,729,551 times
Change it how?
I've simplified my title. A company had a ridiculous name for a Customer Service Manager, which is what my job function was. Because the actual title wasn't clear, I've always put Customer Service Manager on my resume.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:19 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,472 times
Changing it somewhat for clarity or brevity is, I think, pretty defensible. For other reasons, less so.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:20 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
When is it ok? Not ok?
It's not okay to lie, but it is okay if you simply being more descriptive of what you actually did/do. Many veterans have to do is, as military job titles can Lack a civilian equivalent.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:22 PM

Yeah-- my title is very general and I'm not looking to change jobs any-time soon, but when I graduate from grad. school I probably will. My company is SMALL, 3 people (but in a building that houses 200 people) so the job titles are pretty lame.

I'm just worried it would be considered lying? My job title seems VERY administrative-- and it is, but I do a lot of marketing work. I don't just want to add "marketing manager" though because that is VERY far from my job-title.

Last edited by Quizillla; 12-19-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah-- my title is very general and I'm not looking to change jobs any-time soon, but when I graduate from grad. school I probably will. My company is SMALL 3 people (but in a building that houses 200 people) so the job titles are pretty lame.

I'm just worried it would be considered lying? My job title seems VERY administrative-- and it is, but I do a lot of marketing work. I don't just want to add "marketing manager" though because that is VERY far from my job-title.
yes, that's the kind of stuff you want to avoid, although you'll have people come on here and tell you there is nothing wrong with it. Let's put it this way, if a prospective employer called your employer and said, "I understand Bob was the Marketing Manager..." would they be in line with that, or would they say, "Really? He said that? Bob was our purchasing clerk!" You get my drift.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
yes, that's the kind of stuff you want to avoid, although you'll have people come on here and tell you there is nothing wrong with it. Let's put it this way, if a prospective employer called your employer and said, "I understand Bob was the Marketing Manager..." would they be in line with that, or would they say, "Really? He said that? Bob was our purchasing clerk!" You get my drift.
Exactly... I definitely won't change it to that! :P lol.

Can I message you with my job title change, or what I'm thinking of changing it to??

Old 12-19-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Exactly... I definitely won't change it to that! :P lol.

Can I message you with my job title change, or what I'm thinking of changing it to??

Sure, if you don't want to post it here.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
When HR or the background check people call to verify prior employment, the title had better match, or you would be considered to provide false information and be rejected. It's a fairly common trick to make your job sound more important than it is. Abbreviations would be OK, but not changing the words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search