U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2015, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Planet Woof
3,139 posts, read 3,539,670 times
Reputation: 9889

Advertisements

I prefer Indeed.com for it's alert and job saving features. It pulls from others but also has it's own posting content. Will also pull from your LinkedIn profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2015, 12:53 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 718,002 times
Reputation: 1553
I disagree with the idea that temp work is "less stable because you can they can lay you off at the drop of a hat." How is that any different than a salaried position? As a matter of fact, I think temp work is more stable because if you're on a contract of, say, 9 months, that means there is 9 months of work and 9 months of budget for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
8,897 posts, read 13,413,265 times
Reputation: 16132
In a temp job the client manager makes one phone call and the temp is on the street. Also temp agencies have been widely reported to play very dirty games to F their temps out of unemployment compensation such as make false claims about why they were fired or offer them the lowest paying crap job 40 miles away and report them as refusing work when they say no.

In a normal job there are usually procesesses and multiple approvals needed for a layoff or firing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Southeast U.S
848 posts, read 649,422 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
In a temp job the client manager makes one phone call and the temp is on the street. Also temp agencies have been widely reported to play very dirty games to F their temps out of unemployment compensation such as make false claims about why they were fired or offer them the lowest paying crap job 40 miles away and report them as refusing work when they say no.

In a normal job there are usually procesesses and multiple approvals needed for a layoff or firing.
Agreed. Temp work is defiantly less stable than a direct hire salaried position. Maybe if your in the IT field temping is a better option because of the higher hourly rate but like you said temps in other professions make 1/2 to 2/3 of what a direct hire makes in the same position. Temps also do not get paid holidays, no sick days/PTO, no vacation days, no heavily subsidized health insurance/dental/vision coverage, no 401k or retirement funds.

All those benefits can add up to an extra 10-15k a year on top of your salary. Like you said a client can get rid of you with one phone call for any reason. With full time jobs it takes several weeks perhaps months to get rid of an employee and there has to be solid documentation of why that employee is losing their job not just one phone call.

If I can help it I hope that I don't ever have to work another temp job again. If I lose my current position I will start my own business and go back to school for a profession that isn't swamped by staffing agencies and douchebag companies that refuse to pay a decent salary and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 12:34 PM
 
23 posts, read 22,674 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Staffing agencies
Bad:
-They post fake jobs to lure you in
-they demand references without even a job being on the table and send all your manager references to their sales dept
-They offer much less pay and no or joke benefits compared to direct employers in fact they rob you blind
-Companies that use them tend to be bottom tier dirtbags and often treat their workers like excrement
- no job security
-they try to F you out of unemployment compensation by lying or offering you their worst jobs.
-Only 27% of their so called temp to hire jobs turn permanent 18% of temp jobs overall.

Good:
-I can't think of any
Where do you get these figures from? You sound like someone with a bad experience and an ax to grind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Upper Darby, PA
403 posts, read 322,141 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corridor Chick View Post
I am giving serious thought to making a change in job, and possibly in career. A former co-worker of mine made a change last year from a customer service-type position with a county department to an admin assistant/office manager type job, and she used indeed. Is it better than monster and careerbuilder? I used those in the past, but found there were quite a few spam jobs posted there. While doing some preliminary searching on indeed, I do find several listings from staffing agencies. What is the difference between going through a staffing agency and applying for the job directly? Is there any advantage one way or the other? (I have always applied directly through organization/county/department websites.)

Thanks in advance.
Usually the company will not respond to someone applying directly because they have a relationship with the temp agency. There was a job I saw posted on indeed.com and when I applied directly they told me I was too expensive. When I went through the agency they set me up with a interview and I eventually was hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Energy Corridor-ish
206 posts, read 203,963 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
Agreed. Temp work is defiantly less stable than a direct hire salaried position. Maybe if your in the IT field temping is a better option because of the higher hourly rate but like you said temps in other professions make 1/2 to 2/3 of what a direct hire makes in the same position. Temps also do not get paid holidays, no sick days/PTO, no vacation days, no heavily subsidized health insurance/dental/vision coverage, no 401k or retirement funds.

All those benefits can add up to an extra 10-15k a year on top of your salary. Like you said a client can get rid of you with one phone call for any reason. With full time jobs it takes several weeks perhaps months to get rid of an employee and there has to be solid documentation of why that employee is losing their job not just one phone call.

If I can help it I hope that I don't ever have to work another temp job again. If I lose my current position I will start my own business and go back to school for a profession that isn't swamped by staffing agencies and douchebag companies that refuse to pay a decent salary and benefits.
Thank you for all the feedback. I have a job that I used to love but less and less so over the past two years. Change has become the norm in my department, and now we are facing changes even beyond the departmental level. I'm starting to look, but I don't want a horrendous commute. I applied through indeed with a company called "appleone". After reading about your experiences and reviews of appleone, I am leaning toward telling them "Thanks but no thanks" if I am contacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 06:12 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,617,508 times
Reputation: 12835
Keep in mind that 27% of temp-to-perm options become permanent. The odds are incredibly good compared to being unemployed and interviewing. Temp-to-perm is a great opportunity and is a great way for you to get to know the employer and vice versa. No other scenario gives you a greater chance of landing a full time position.

The problem arises when people start treating a temp position like a permanent position. If you aren't permanent after a period of time which you consider reasonable, it's time for you to remember that this is a temp job overall. Don't drag it out more than it needs to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
8,897 posts, read 13,413,265 times
Reputation: 16132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strode2 View Post
Where do you get these figures from? You sound like someone with a bad experience and an ax to grind!
The 27% figure comes from research done by Susan N Houseman a Senior Economist at the Upjohn Institute for Employment Research as well as a study done by the American Staffing Association.

Susan N. Houseman | W.E. Upjohn Institute
Temporary job market sees hiring explosion | lehighvalleylive.com
https://www.resumeedge.com/how-to-tu...permanent-one/

You sound like a corporate shill.

Staffing agencies are not the place to go to find good jobs with companies that are nice to work for. The companies using temp agencies are mostly lousy frauds using the agencies to rip workers off of benefits and lying to workers telling them that if they work hard and do a good job they will be hired. You are better off avoiding staffing agencies unless you are desperate and interviewing for direct employment only.

Temp agencies are basically pimps and are just as seedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
8,897 posts, read 13,413,265 times
Reputation: 16132
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Keep in mind that 27% of temp-to-perm options become permanent. The odds are incredibly good compared to being unemployed and interviewing. Temp-to-perm is a great opportunity and is a great way for you to get to know the employer and vice versa. No other scenario gives you a greater chance of landing a full time position.

The problem arises when people start treating a temp position like a permanent position. If you aren't permanent after a period of time which you consider reasonable, it's time for you to remember that this is a temp job overall. Don't drag it out more than it needs to be.
27% are lousy odds to be putting months and months working for substandard wages and non-existent or substandard benefits compared to spending a few hours interviewing. Your argument is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top