U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:36 PM

848 posts, read 642,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I worked at Pepsi as well but in R&D as a Chemist. The whole department was filled with temps and they never hired anyone that I can recall. The people I worked with hated the agencies, hated the company, half the department quit in the time I was there including several of the few direct employees they had. Everyone who eventually found permanent jobs had a huge pay bump and benefits. I went from 40k and no benefits at all to 65k and full benefits and am up to $80k just a few years later. Worst job I ever had with the worst morale I've ever seen.

There are a few very niche fields mostly in IT where you can name your own price to these agencies and the client and they will throw money at you but everyone else better just bend over.
Yeah. Our profession get screwed up the a** by temp agencies when it comes to wages. Chemists working through temp agencies get paid $15-20 an hour with no benefits. Maybe if have a PH.D. And you are working as an research chemist or scientists you will get paid more but the chemists with only a bachelors or masters degree work for below market wages.

I went from $17 bucks an hour to $50k with outstanding benefits. Health/dental/vision coverage only costs me $18 per pay period versus $450 a month through Aerotek. According to pay scale the average analytical chemist makes $52k a year so if temp agencies were paying competitive wages they should pay $25 an hour for analytical chemists to pay close to market wages.

MSchemist, I understand why you hate temp agencies and it was a pain in the rear that I had to move 9 hours away from my hometown to West Virginia for a full time chemist job. I hope and pray that I don't ever get laid off from my current job because I really hope I don't have to go back to working temp jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 02:40 PM

963 posts, read 575,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
Yeah. Our profession get screwed up the a** by temp agencies when it comes to wages. Chemists working through temp agencies get paid $15-20 an hour with no benefits. Maybe if have a PH.D. And you are working as an research chemist or scientists you will get paid more but the chemists with only a bachelors or masters degree work for below market wages.
Have you thought about finishing college? Seems a bit to stop halfway through.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Have you thought about finishing college? Seems a bit to stop halfway through.
After seeing what PH.D. Folks go through I stopped at my bachelors. Most PH.D. Chemistry graduates get stuck in post docs paying 35-45k a year for years on end or get stuck in low paying jobs in academia. Also I don't want to go through the politics you have to play to get a PH.D.; at this point if I do go to grad school it will be part time while I am working full time on my current job.

I am not going to gamble on a PH.D. If the pay off isn't guaranteed.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:30 PM

8,813 posts, read 13,301,562 times
No way! Do not get a PhD in science. In addition to needing to be very lucky to find a professor to mentor you and develop you vs use you as cheap labor to do the lab work as PC said you spend 5-7 years working like a dog for a $20k stipend only to get spit out with even worse job prospects so we have hordes of scientists working as post-docs or adjunct professors with little hope of ever having a real job. I saw the writing on the wall at my grad program and said no thanks on the PhD I'll just get the MSc. If I ever go back for another degree it won't be a science degree and noone in my family will ever major in science again in large part due to the temp agencies infesting the profession.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No way! Do not get a PhD in science. In addition to needing to be very lucky to find a professor to mentor you and develop you vs use you as cheap labor to do the lab work as PC said you spend 5-7 years working like a dog for a $20k stipend only to get spit out with even worse job prospects so we have hordes of scientists working as post-docs or adjunct professors with little hope of ever having a real job. I saw the writing on the wall at my grad program and said no thanks on the PhD I'll just get the MSc. If I ever go back for another degree it won't be a science degree and noone in my family will ever major in science again in large part due to the temp agencies infesting the profession.
What you are saying is so true. Most PH.D. Scientists spend over a decade getting treated like a Slave in a PH.D. Chemistry program and working low paying post docs until they are 40 and no longer employable.

The lucky ones eventually land a 100k scientist job after years of post docing and spend all of their 20s and early 30s working for substandard wages. They are 35 years old until some decent money start kicking in.

There is one PH.D. Scientist at my current job that had to leave his wife behind because they couldn't find work in the same state. Most PH.D. Graduates have to be willing to move anywhere in the country for a job thousands of miles away from their family and sometimes even significant others.

Out of the classmates in my graduating class that decided to go to work after undergrad I'm actually the luckiest one. One of my classmates is working at enterprise as a manager trainee which had nothing to do with chemistry. Another one is working as a temp for low pay for a small biomaterials company.

It's really sad that most chemistry graduates with a BS/MS are going to end up in low paying temp jobs paying $15-20 per hour or some job totally unrelated to their major.

I also wouldn't advise any of my family members to major in science. The only STEM majors I will recommend is engineering or computer science. One of my cousins is about to start college next year and she doesn't know what she wants to major in and I told her defiantly not chemistry. I'd rather her not go to college and work at Burger King then work her way up to manager than waste her time and money with a chemistry degree.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:48 PM

In case any one is wondering who gets the value from temp agencies check out this Kelly ad from the 70's

Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,989,228 times
Thanks... that ad is pretty disgusting.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:16 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,454,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Thanks... that ad is pretty disgusting.
If you went to college in the last 30 years, that ad is one of the ads you studied. The key here is that KellyGirl is not referencing an individual girl. It's referencing a service. Liken it to a postman. If your postman is sick, your mail will still get delivered. They'll just send another postman. When you look at it in proper context, the ad isn't so bad. If you're assuming they're referring to a specific person, then it sounds bad.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:25 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,454,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I worked for a temp agency years ago in a different industry than my current one. I worked for a company called Aerotek at PepsiCo. It was great in my opinion. The rate was $55/hour and after 3 months they extended me a permanent opportunity. I was already in the process of going back to get my masters do I ultimately turned the offer down.

The one thing with Pepsi was that they would extend permanent offers to the people who were at least minimally competent. The ones that were completely incompetent would never get permanent offers but they wouldn't fire them either. They were nice enough to hold on to them until they land another opportunity. It was a great company and I like that they awarded people who were competent. Unfortunately, my current industry doesn't line up with PepsiCo, otherwise I'd go back there in an instant.

I had a similar experience with Hilton but I eventually took the permanent position after they insisted. I now own my own Hilton properties. Temp agencies are great ways to get opportunities.
That's a common experience. Glad things worked out for you. We always see the folks that it didn't work out complain on these boards while the successful ones don't post because they don't have anything to complain about. Hopefully your well deserved success will encourage others to be productive.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's referencing a service.
More like a pimp

Yes it is a service that allows companies to treat workers like disposable trash. Workers who don't get benefits, don't get raises, and get tossed on the street with one phone call if they get sick.

As I said before, if you belong to a very rare niche you can name your own price to the agency and they will kiss your rear to keep you happy. If not, the temp agency will troll for the cheapest worker desperate enough to take the crap wages they offer and still be minimally acceptable to the client, charge the biggest markup possible to the client.

This is why they are so aggressive at trying to find workers and sign them up. The vast majority of workers will not deal with them because they do not offer competitive compensation. Certainly noone with a direct job will find what they have to offer anything but insulting. I stopped taking their calls after I found my current job. Every time I talk to them I just end up getting Ped off when they offer no benefits and ~1/2 my current pay rate. I get calls from them several times a week even though I haven't posted my resume nor had contact with any of them in nearly 4 years. I am actually considering changing my cell #.

BTW I was on Payscale or Glassdoor a while ago and it listed companies with the highest and lowest paid chemists. Guess where the who the employer the lowest paid chemists work for... Kelly

Last edited by MSchemist80; 12-29-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or