U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:35 PM

403 posts, read 317,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
When I had my interview for my current job I took two days off to fly up and drive in town for the interview. Of course I didn't get paid for those days but you are free to take days off in a temp assignment and you are free to quit the job at anytime.

If the client can end your contract at anytime, the worker can take days off or quit when they find something better.

A worker does not owe their contract company anything but a two week notice before they leave and in most cases the client will just let the person go the same day they put in their two week notice because they feel there is no reason for them to stay on pay roll for another two weeks twiddling their thumbs.
I'm talking about constantly taking off to go on interviews which would not make a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 01:59 AM

10,071 posts, read 4,690,644 times
Quote:
I feel like I am finally making enough money to live comfortably as a young single 22 year old and finally feel my college investment is finally paying off. No thanks to the temp agency and dirtbag temp company I was working for. I didn't bust my rear end in school to struggle to pay for basic necessities. I moved 596 miles from my hometown for a decent chemist job and it so much better than that lousy temp job I had.
Ironic that the only companies that were willing to hire were temps when there was no experience...

And a lot of those glassdoor salaries aren't new grads with no experience.

Not saying temp companies are great, but they at least hire so people get experience...

No one said college investment pays off right at graduation either.

Not directing it at PC so I left name out, just pointing out that if temp companies aren't around how many fewer people would be hired since they have no experience out of college. Most college programs do not provide opportunities to get working experience

Old 01-06-2016, 12:54 PM

911 posts, read 714,991 times
Temp agencies today now require years of experience, so the person changing careers or the new graduate is SOL.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:30 PM

403 posts, read 317,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
Temp agencies today now require years of experience, so the person changing careers or the new graduate is SOL.
Well I would think temp agencies would want to maintain a reputation of sending employers the right people with experience.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:37 AM

911 posts, read 714,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
Well I would think temp agencies would want to maintain a reputation of sending employers the right people with experience.
You don't get it. Some of us have years of experience. But there's always a laundry list of excuses why they can't hire you. "Well, we want 5 years of experience on Star version 1.05." But I know Star version 1.04 and the only difference is a few items in the menu bar. Plus I have all of the other qualifications."

"But Star version 1.04 is NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Are you try to collapse capitalism???"

Old 01-07-2016, 08:06 AM

10,071 posts, read 4,690,644 times
how is 5 years a laundry list? But the 5 years is pretty standard though because it fits the 10,000 hours needed to master something idea.

whether it is right or not, that's just what has become "standard" for moving up positions. Sure some are quicker and some take longer, but 5 years is around when people start to make another large jump in their career. first jump being around the 1 year mark

Old 01-10-2016, 11:43 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,486,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't think you owe the contract agency any notice. If leaving without notice causes a disruption too Fing bad that is what you get for relying on temp when you need an employee.
You always want to do what is the least disruptive whenever possible. There's times when it is not, but you should try to give proper notice whenever you can.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 PM

15 posts, read 10,952 times
Quote:
This is true and it happens a lot in my profession when the money gets tight or they do restructuring of the research and development departments but at least with a full time job you are paid better and have full benefits for the whole time you work.
I have a MS in organic chemistry, and lost my job last year after a department reorg. I want out and have been applying to other positions in the same industry where I meet the top half of the expected requirements. In most cases I get no response, other than a rare rejection email. Has anyone had any success in selling themselves for positions that they are only partially qualified for?

BTW - Even the temp positions are getting harder to come by in chemistry. I lost a chance at one since it was filled 2 days (!) from when the recruiters contacted me.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:02 PM

848 posts, read 643,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria1 View Post
I have a MS in organic chemistry, and lost my job last year after a department reorg. I want out and have been applying to other positions in the same industry where I meet the top half of the expected requirements. In most cases I get no response, other than a rare rejection email. Has anyone had any success in selling themselves for positions that they are only partially qualified for?

BTW - Even the temp positions are getting harder to come by in chemistry. I lost a chance at one since it was filled 2 days (!) from when the recruiters contacted me.
I hope you find something really soon. It's really a shame that even temp chemist/science jobs are getting hard to get because of the competition for all jobs. I feel sorry for fresh college grads in chemistry at all education levels because even the temp jobs demand 3-4 years of experience.

I am not sure if you are willing or even capable of relocating to a new state but that is your best chance of finding another job in this profession. I suggest applying to chemist/Science jobs all over the country and see which ones call you back for an interview. My current company paid for all my travel expenses to attend the interview back in September and when I was offered the job I was offered a relocation bonus which was enough to pay for all my moving expenses.

If your married with kids, moving to another state would be impossible and you might be better off doing a career change.

My resumes got me about 5-10 calls back when I was doing my job search all last year and I tailored my resume for every position I applied to. If your applying for an analytical chemist position you would sell your experience with HPLC, GC, UV-Vis, FT-IR and how you prepared mobile phases/prep samples, picked the appropriate column for each sample analyses you have done , and interpreting the data by determining the percent recovery of the peaks with the standard deviation values.

If you apply to a chemist position addressing blends and formulations. You would write a resume addressing how you use your organic chemistry back ground to validate and formulate blends to be used for product development.

MSchemist is right, chemistry is becoming a dying orofedsion

Old 01-15-2016, 09:24 AM

15 posts, read 10,952 times
Quote:
I hope you find something really soon. It's really a shame that even temp chemist/science jobs are getting hard to get because of the competition for all jobs. I feel sorry for fresh college grads in chemistry at all education levels because even the temp jobs demand 3-4 years of experience.

MSchemist is right, chemistry is becoming a dying orofedsion

Thanks for your detailed response and advice.

Chemistry is a dying profession, aside from a few PhD managers that will survive to handle the outsourcing arrangements. I'm in my early 40s, so I have to jump into another field before I get too much older. I just haven't gotten any traction with my applications since there are so many people who are much better matches for the operations/project management positions that I've been applying to. I can't lie and add experience, so the ATS eliminates me (sometimes instantaneously) before an human has read my cover letter where I discuss transferrable skills and fit, etc. The local networking group that I found on meetup.com is mostly unemployed people, and the former colleagues that I was closest to are living in fear that they will be re-org'd out themselves.

A recruiter told me that they are targeting the 3-5 yr experience mark for chemistry temp jobs to keep the salary requirements low. I accept that I will be taking a significant salary cut regardless of what I do, but recruiters get nervous about this since they fear that you will hop if something better comes along. Half my former salary is still better than unemployment.

I will continue to just apply to everything that I meet the top half of the requirements for, which is the advice that I was given by a retired engineering recruiter. He is pushing me to network more as well, and said that 70% of all jobs are found that way. (25% through recruiters, remainder through online job boards.)

I volunteer for an animal shelter and was hoping to get some contacts that way, but I'm introverted so the manager assigned me to a time when it's only me and the cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or