Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 08:59 PM

850 posts, read 902,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Keep in mind that 27% of temp-to-perm options become permanent. The odds are incredibly good compared to being unemployed and interviewing. Temp-to-perm is a great opportunity and is a great way for you to get to know the employer and vice versa. No other scenario gives you a greater chance of landing a full time position.

The problem arises when people start treating a temp position like a permanent position. If you aren't permanent after a period of time which you consider reasonable, it's time for you to remember that this is a temp job overall. Don't drag it out more than it needs to be.
I agree that the problem arises when companies expect the same level of performance as a direct hire and keep the temp on for years.

Honestly if you are a great worker and your performance is top notch, the company should bring the worker on full time with benefits after six months. I find it ridiculous that some companies drag temps out for 2-3 years and it feels like they are dangling a carrot on a stick in front of the worker.

For me my temp experience did provide me with some hands on experience coming out of school since I didn't have any industry experience. The company I temped for just did a restructuring of the research departments so I had a feeling they weren't going to be hiring any full time staff for a while; therefore, after 6 months I started applying for full time positions all over the country and landed my new chemist position in WV. I really wish I could of find a full time position in Georgia but all the positions required a minimum of 3 years of experience and when I apply to those positions I would get no responses.

My current position called for 0-3 years of experience so my current company was willing to accept a recent college graduate so I got the interview and was offered the position.

I am not saying temp jobs are terrible but I do recommend trying to get an interview for a full time position yourself as there are no guarantees that the temp position will go permanent even if your performance is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 11:33 PM

403 posts, read 472,820 times
What other choice does someone have in 2016 with UI only being 26 weeks but to register with a temp agency?

Old 12-26-2015, 11:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
What other choice does someone have in 2016 with UI only being 26 weeks but to register with a temp agency?
So many. For example, start a business. The generous 26 weeks gives you a lot of time to sort things out.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:15 AM

403 posts, read 472,820 times
Quote:
So many. For example, start a business. The generous 26 weeks gives you a lot of time to sort things out.
I think you can only do that when you are employed by starting a business on the side.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
27% are lousy odds to be putting months and months working for substandard wages and non-existent or substandard benefits compared to spending a few hours interviewing. Your argument is ridiculous.
Why would you put more than you feel comfortable with into a temp position? And why would you work for substandard wages? That has more to do with you than the employer. The only thing that makes sense is the lack of benefits. That's the entire purpose of having temp-to-hire. It allows candidates and employers to try each-other out before making long-term commitments. You don't want to be in a situation where you start a permanent job and decide that it's not for you. Or the opposite where the employer doesn't think you're a good fit. That's not good for anyone involved. Temp-to-perm really is the best of both worlds.

27% is outstanding. I don't know if you've done the math, but that means you have a 1 in 4 chance of taking that position as a permanent job. That's much more promising than sitting at home twiddling your thumbs or cold applying to jobs.

I'm not saying it's the best option. I've always advised people to forgo everything and focus on traditional job search methods such as networking. There the chances are even better than 27%.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I agree that the problem arises when companies expect the same level of performance as a direct hire and keep the temp on for years.

Honestly if you are a great worker and your performance is top notch, the company should bring the worker on full time with benefits after six months. I find it ridiculous that some companies drag temps out for 2-3 years and it feels like they are dangling a carrot on a stick in front of the worker.

For me my temp experience did provide me with some hands on experience coming out of school since I didn't have any industry experience. The company I temped for just did a restructuring of the research departments so I had a feeling they weren't going to be hiring any full time staff for a while; therefore, after 6 months I started applying for full time positions all over the country and landed my new chemist position in WV. I really wish I could of find a full time position in Georgia but all the positions required a minimum of 3 years of experience and when I apply to those positions I would get no responses.

My current position called for 0-3 years of experience so my current company was willing to accept a recent college graduate so I got the interview and was offered the position.

I am not saying temp jobs are terrible but I do recommend trying to get an interview for a full time position yourself as there are no guarantees that the temp position will go permanent even if your performance is great.
Why would you stay on a temp job for years? If you're staying on as a temp for that long, it only tells the employer that you're happy with the situation. The temp means that you or the employer is supposed to change the situation. If neither of you do, then it just means that you're both happy with it.

You make an excellent point about gaining experience on temp assignments. Having exposure to industries on a temp basis can help your career immensely.

Also, I agree that you should treat a temp job like a temp job and continue to look for permanent opportunities at the same time.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I think you can only do that when you are employed by starting a business on the side.
Often, it's easier to do it when you have more time on your hands. Working and starting a business can be difficult to do.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:06 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Why would you put more than you feel comfortable with into a temp position? And why would you work for substandard wages? That has more to do with you than the employer. The only thing that makes sense is the lack of benefits.
That is what temp agencies pay. Substandard wages. They are pimps and rob the workers blind. The only way they can get people to take their lousy jobs is to tell them it is temp to hire and that if they do a good job they will be hired so the low pay is just temporary. It is just plain fraud on both the company's and agency's part.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Have savings. But if you have UI you need to be very careful dealing with these pimps. There are widespread reports of them threatening people on UI to force them to take their lousy jobs and reporting people for refusing work even when the job offered was a fraction of what they were previously making, not related to their training, and not a viable commute.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post

Most of the companies that use temp agencies are looking for cheap and disposible workers though they would like good performers which is why they dangle the carrot of getting hired to try to motivate worker. Companies that value their workers don't use temp agencies extensively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search