Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 11:42 AM

403 posts, read 470,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Have savings. But if you have UI you need to be very careful dealing with these pimps. There are widespread reports of them threatening people on UI to force them to take their lousy jobs and reporting people for refusing work even when the job offered was a fraction of what they were previously making, not related to their training, and not a viable commute.
Then it would be up to the person to accept the right assignment that's connected to their experience and background. If I have a resume showing customer service experience I would not accept any assignment dealing with labor work. I mean I assume the purpose of my resume in a temp agency database is to get me those types of jobs not something completely different. And if that is happening then I agree that certain temp agency should be shutdown for being fraudulent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 12:50 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,342,335 times
Temp agencies will throw bodies at jobs and see what sticks. Most of their recruiters are even dumber than HR and have no idea about what specific jobs are about.

This is why you need to have an emergency found. Temp agencies prey on the desperate. I personally won't anwser their calls anymore as I would never in my life work for one again.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Temp agencies will throw bodies at jobs and see what sticks. Most of their recruiters are even dumber than HR and have no idea about what specific jobs are about.

This is why you need to have an emergency found. Temp agencies prey on the desperate. I personally won't anwser their calls anymore as I would never in my life work for one again.
But I thought it would be up to the person to say they don;t have experience in that type of work and would prefer something closer connected to their background and experience.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:06 PM

and the temp agency can threaten to report you to UI for refusing work and whether or not you have a right to refuse unsuitable work they will cut you off and it can take multiple hearings and months to get it reinstated. Trust me these pimps play dirty. Steer clear unless you are totally desperate,

Old 12-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
and the temp agency can threaten to report you to UI for refusing work and whether or not you have a right to refuse unsuitable work they will cut you off and it can take multiple hearings and months to get it reinstated. Trust me these pimps play dirty. Steer clear unless you are totally desperate,
I didn't think requesting for an assignment closing to your experience was refusing work. I thought refusing work would be declining an assignment without explaining why which would give off the I don't want to work vibe.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:28 PM

You are not required to take unsuitable work but most UI will immediately cut you off if a staffing agency files a report and then you have to show it was unsuitable at the hearing. So in other-words if you are unemployed and receiving UI do not even take calls from temp agencies do not engage with them in any way and do not let them know your are on UI unless the claim is against the temp agency in which case you are really scr#wed as they will play every dirty trick they know to F you out of it.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You are not required to take unsuitable work but most UI will immediately cut you off if a staffing agency files a report and then you have to show it was unsuitable at the hearing. So in other-words if you are unemployed and receiving UI do not even take calls from temp agencies do not engage with them in any way and do not let them know your are on UI unless the claim is against the temp agency in which case you are really scr#wed as they will play every dirty trick they know to F you out of it.
Well I good story to report about a temp agency which is a temp being hired permanently at my job after starting in July. So some of them out there are good and will put in the right job where you can perform and get hired.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
Well I good story to report about a temp agency which is a temp being hired permanently at my job after starting in July. So some of them out there are good and will put in the right job where you can perform and get hired.
I'm not saying such things never happen but in the majority of cases you end up getting conned into working a job for below market wages and no benefits and working your rear off for a company that has no intention of hiring you regardless of how well you do. You are better off not putting the effort into dealing with and working for temp agencies and finding your own job.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:57 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,654,426 times
Quote:
I'm not saying such things never happen but in the majority of cases you end up getting conned into working a job for below market wages and no benefits and working your rear off for a company that has no intention of hiring you regardless of how well you do. You are better off not putting the effort into dealing with and working for temp agencies and finding your own job.
^^Totally agree. Temp = Employer of last resort.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:56 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,000,067 times
Quote:
That is what temp agencies pay. Substandard wages. They are pimps and rob the workers blind. The only way they can get people to take their lousy jobs is to tell them it is temp to hire and that if they do a good job they will be hired so the low pay is just temporary. It is just plain fraud on both the company's and agency's part.
Not really. You're clearly projecting your opinions. But they are far from the truth.

Temp agencies play an important role in society. They provide experience with reasonable wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search