U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 03:47 PM

205 posts, read 201,750 times

Advertisements

I am giving serious thought to making a change in job, and possibly in career. A former co-worker of mine made a change last year from a customer service-type position with a county department to an admin assistant/office manager type job, and she used indeed. Is it better than monster and careerbuilder? I used those in the past, but found there were quite a few spam jobs posted there. While doing some preliminary searching on indeed, I do find several listings from staffing agencies. What is the difference between going through a staffing agency and applying for the job directly? Is there any advantage one way or the other? (I have always applied directly through organization/county/department websites.)

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 04:00 PM

116 posts, read 269,678 times
I think Indeed is an aggregator, it fetches you positions published elsewhere, on many other sites.

Applying through the agency may help sometimes because a good recruiter will personally push your resumes. Submitting through a corporate Web site usually means that your resume will be just buried in their database, and in most cases you'll get just e-mails from their bots.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:11 PM

393 posts, read 261,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corridor Chick View Post
I am giving serious thought to making a change in job, and possibly in career. A former co-worker of mine made a change last year from a customer service-type position with a county department to an admin assistant/office manager type job, and she used indeed. Is it better than monster and careerbuilder? I used those in the past, but found there were quite a few spam jobs posted there. While doing some preliminary searching on indeed, I do find several listings from staffing agencies. What is the difference between going through a staffing agency and applying for the job directly? Is there any advantage one way or the other? (I have always applied directly through organization/county/department websites.)

Thanks in advance.
I think you should look at all three sites. Keep notes of what you applied to, what day, etc...I kept a ledger
Staffing agencies can be good if you are looking for low level things but get more difficult otherwise. People forget that the staffing agents are like real estate agents, they represent the client, not you. They are trying to close a sale, so they will typically only offer you what has been around the longest, not necessarily what pays you more or might be better for you. They also want you to tell them everything you applied for and work exclusively with them. I won't use one.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:27 PM

169 posts, read 217,232 times
I had more success with indeed than with the other two websites, it seems more up to date. Regarding staffing agencies - if the recruiter is old-school and talks to the hiring manager personally, you'll have a higher chance than applying via company websites. But, there are few of these left, plus third-party recruiters submit resumes through company career portals nowdays, so it's no different from you applying directly to the company website. If you have a good network, you can try the following: after you found jobs of interest on indeed, etc., approach your contacts that work at that company, this will up your chances of getting an interview. BTW, that's how I got my current job - asked a former colleague who worked at that company to pass my resume (prior to that, I was submitting it to a number of positions on company website with zero callbacks).

Old 12-20-2015, 05:22 PM

8,821 posts, read 13,316,033 times
Staffing agencies
Bad:
-They post fake jobs to lure you in
-they demand references without even a job being on the table and send all your manager references to their sales dept
-They offer much less pay and no or joke benefits compared to direct employers in fact they rob you blind
-Companies that use them tend to be bottom tier dirtbags and often treat their workers like excrement
- no job security
-they try to F you out of unemployment compensation by lying or offering you their worst jobs.
-Only 27% of their so called temp to hire jobs turn permanent 18% of temp jobs overall.

Good:
-I can't think of any

Old 12-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 14 days ago)

5,517 posts, read 12,379,716 times
I would say explore all options and then go with the best offer. As others have said, Indeed is an aggregator which also posts links directly to company websites. I know I can find our companies job openings easily through it. So, I use it for research. It is generally better to apply directly to the company to cut out the middle man. Pay and longevity can be better.

Best source, if available, is through a friend or acquaintance. I've worked as a hiring manager. Word of mouth travels furthest.

Derek

Old 12-21-2015, 07:50 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,991,204 times
Indeed is pretty good, but sometimes they post jobs from other aggregrators that are very out of date.

I find Glassdoor to be a little better and more up to date.

Beyond.com should be called "Behind.com" as their listings are usually stale...

Old 12-21-2015, 08:40 AM

23,651 posts, read 17,623,979 times
Staffing firms should be regarded as an employer of last resort.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:01 PM

116 posts, read 269,678 times
Some companies may have [approved] budget for contract positions but not FTE. This is where staffing companies come as a last resort - you either get a contract job or no job at all.

Hour rates at contract positions are usually higher than employees' salaries. Sure you don't have benefits as a contractor, but come on, some corporations consider free coffee and tea bags for employees as a "benefit".

Contract workers don't have to participate in corporate politics, performance review process, and many "mandatory" trainings about corporate values and other crap. They don't have to work long hours for free. They aren't constantly fed with "teamwork" and "synergy" BS.

They can be terminated within 10 minutes, though - exactly like full time employees (but those are sometimes lucky to get a 2-weeks severance package, that is taxed much worse that a regular 2-weeks pay).

Old 12-21-2015, 08:15 PM

8,821 posts, read 13,316,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyvacant View Post
Hour rates at contract positions are usually higher than employees' salaries. Sure you don't have benefits as a contractor, but come on, some corporations consider free coffee and tea bags for employees as a "benefit".

Contract workers don't have to participate in corporate politics, performance review process, and many "mandatory" trainings about corporate values and other crap. They don't have to work long hours for free. They aren't constantly fed with "teamwork" and "synergy" BS.
Only in certain niche IT fields and similar. In most fields, in addition to having no benefits, nor PTO, the pay rates are as little as 1/2 to 2/3 of what a direct employee makes.

However, I agree not having to deal with corporate HR bs is a big plus for me but not enough to outweigh the above. I guess that can go into the plus column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or