U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:18 PM

403 posts, read 321,988 times

Advertisements

I don't apply to jobs that require you to apply online so I never had any experience with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 04:52 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,802,050 times
OP, I feel your pain. I will be 70 soon and am retired but I know how you feel. When I was in my mid fifties, I found myself looking for work. I have a great resume which included good work experience, references, skills and two college degrees. I thought that would be enough. But noooooo. To my dismay, I had to answer those stupid a$$ psychological questions for about every job interview I went on.

The trouble was, not being used to that type of mindset, I didn't always understand the questions. I wasn't used to those kinds of things. I actually had to go to a headhunter to help me basically understand them.

I finally got a good job with a large insurance company. Ironically, part of my job wound up interviewing people for jobs in the company. I hated having to give those tests so I didn't. I just told HR to send me people after they screened them and I would evaluate their work skills.

But the company was test-happy and the present employees had to take these stupid psychological/social tests all the time. I sometimes rebelled and refused which did not sit well with HR.

I was raised in a different era. While sometimes HR asked some rather personal questions like women were asked if they were going to get married and have children, no one ever asked "what would you do if.....?" or "Do you get along with your siblings?" or "would you snitch on your boss if......?" Or, multiple choice situations that had little to do with work.

The thing is, who is going to tell the truth if they think the truth will be detrimental to them getting the job?

The companies who create these questionnaires use slick high pressure tactics with fancy powerpoint presentations in their sales pitches when selling their material to HR people using all kinds of psychobabble making them believe they will improve productivity by getting into the heads of their employees.

I wouldn't be so hard on these things if they at least proved to be even a little worthwhile, but they really never did. I can tell you that some of our hirees who did the best on these tests made the worst employees. People have been hiring people for years and seemed to get along just fine without them. I don't think they really serve the purpose they set out to prove.

Having said all that though, they are a fact of life and you have to deal with them. So just try to figure out what the company is looking for and give them what they want. Don't take it personally. Think of it as they are just playing a game and you are playing along with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or