U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 03:46 PM

12,184 posts, read 10,353,957 times

Advertisements

If you have to ask what you can do with X degree, then I would highly advise against getting X degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 03:48 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,891,130 times
The college I got into is Brandman and its mft licensure program. It's a small chain of schools

Old 12-23-2015, 05:46 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,782,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
The college I got into is Brandman and its mft licensure program. It's a small chain of schools
An MFT (I'm guessing you mean Marriage and Family) is not a Masters in Psychology.

Do you want to be a therapist?

I think you need to figure out what your end goal is, if you're not even sure what kind of job you want how can you figure out what to get your degree in.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:17 PM

1,099 posts, read 572,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
California has three of the best psychology programs in the nation. Just like with science, the university you attend makes a big difference. Consider Stanford, UC Berkeley or UCLA if you want to stay in California. The last two will provide you with in state tuition (not sure if that applies to masters programs in CA).

Psychology can be rewarding. Best of luck!

Old 12-23-2015, 06:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,112,960 times
Life/Career coach is an option.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:17 PM

3,884 posts, read 1,641,064 times
I know quite a few masters level psychologists... matter of fact I married one. I know of roughly four career options, some of which will vary by state depending on licensure requirements.

1. Therapist.

2. Social services (supervising social workers, doing intakes, crisis management)

3. Testing and/or research data analyst

4. School psychologist

I know masters level psychologists who work in all these roles. Details vary by state as there are different licensing requirements. But generally speaking in states that don't license masters level psychologists, they will work under supervision of a phd psychologist. There are probably others career options I'm not aware of... isn't really my field.

One thing that I'll warn you of is that this isn't a high paying field. To make a living wage, you have to have at least a masters degree. Even then salaries are similar to a school teacher with a bachelor's degree. You can make a living in this field, but most won't get rich.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:25 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,688,527 times
go to usajobs.gov
do a search for "psychology"
here is the search i just did, it has 366 jobs listed, read and see if any give you ideas

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?Keywo...atusJobs=False

Old 12-23-2015, 11:26 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,880,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Well, what is your goal? this link may help you decide.

10 Awesome Masters in Clinical Psychology Careers & Jobs | MastersinPsychologyGuide.com

snips~~

links embedded in below snip~
At least the colors are sorted in the same order as the chart, but still.... shades of red to white?

Old 12-24-2015, 06:06 AM

5,340 posts, read 5,302,061 times
I know an OK amount about this and you wonít find many roles in the Psych field with that but....

One ok path I can think of would be to start as an admin assistant in an outpatient psych practice and eventually progress to practice management or some other administrative area in Behavioral Health. Or if you already have some experience, you may be able to skip the admin assistant role and move into something that is a little higher level, again, in Behavioral Health. There is some demand for that (because it can be a challenging area to work) in both out and in patient settings so thatís what I would set my sites on if I were getting a Masters in Psych.

Best of luck

Old 12-24-2015, 08:04 AM

6,226 posts, read 5,359,024 times
Just like anyone I know who has a degree in Psychology. Either retail or Enterprise Rent-A-Car "manager trainee".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or