U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 12:23 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,786,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eascoaswing View Post
If you're exceptional and do as my best friends' daughter did; she worked her butt of and got a full ride to Towson and got a BA in Psychology and Animal Behavior in May. She's got people coming to her all ready. She's making 25.00 an hour at a little Marine Aquarium right now. She aced her GRE and has her pick of mentors to work with. I didn't think they made kids so motivated any more; this kid is the next Jacques Cousteau.
I'm confused, this thread is about a Masters in Psychology, not a Bachelor's, not sure how this story relates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 09:01 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,901,330 times
Does anyone know anyone with a MA in Psych and got a job that wasn't clinical counseling or a therapist? For human resources, do most people have MBAs?

Old 12-25-2015, 07:44 PM

196 posts, read 128,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I'm confused, this thread is about a Masters in Psychology, not a Bachelor's, not sure how this story relates.

She is entering the master's program at the end of 2016 and is all ready making 26.00 an hour with a degree in psychology. Her minor is animal behavior. It's perfectly relevant if the OP is asking if the MA program has any potential.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:23 PM

162 posts, read 134,767 times
I believe Starbucks or something retail are usually were psych majors end up. Not being an ass just telling the truth.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 13 days ago)

5,512 posts, read 12,377,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Does anyone know anyone with a MA in Psych and got a job that wasn't clinical counseling or a therapist? For human resources, do most people have MBAs?
As was mentioned, I would consider the quantitative route. Our company hires those with advanced degrees in psychology and sociology to perform research and statistical studies. Consider I-O psychology. I wish I had heard of this when I was younger as I was interested in human behavior and psychology. I just wasn't so sure about other options beyond the clinical route.

Industrial-Organizational (I-O) Psychology Careers

You may have to expand your school choice options to find a good program. But these guys are in high demand. So finding a job once out will not be a problem. Only gotcha is you have to being willing to take more math/statistics classes and really learn the scientific method if you want to do research. That is also why they are in greater demand. They take the harder classes.

San Jose State's program: http://www.sjsu.edu/psych/Graduates/industrialpsych/

There are some online programs as well.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-27-2015 at 11:24 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 08:47 PM

289 posts, read 345,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Master's degrees for psychology are usually geared toward clinical work. In my state you can become licensed as a counselor/therapist with a master's in psych (so long as you pass the licensing requirements too). There are a lot of clinical jobs you can get working at mental health clinics, psychiatric hospitals, special ed schools, and social services agencies. You can perform psychotherapy; you just can't diagnose mental illness (that is typically left to clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, and general MDs). The problem, as many have mentioned, is that psychology is a field that doesn't pay well (I don't think our society values it enough for the funding to support better salaries). You'll be dropping what must be at least $30,000 for graduate school, and the starting salary for a counselor is typically in the $35,000-$55,000 range, of course varying by location. I feel a lot of people get into this line of work without a proper understanding of how stressful it is and how financially unrewarding it is (even psychologists around here average only $60,000/year- low for a PhD). A lot of well-meaning people give up on the field once they actually get into it.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:14 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,786,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
Master's degrees for psychology are usually geared toward clinical work. In my state you can become licensed as a counselor/therapist with a master's in psych (so long as you pass the licensing requirements too). There are a lot of clinical jobs you can get working at mental health clinics, psychiatric hospitals, special ed schools, and social services agencies. You can perform psychotherapy; you just can't diagnose mental illness (that is typically left to clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, and general MDs). The problem, as many have mentioned, is that psychology is a field that doesn't pay well (I don't think our society values it enough for the funding to support better salaries). You'll be dropping what must be at least $30,000 for graduate school, and the starting salary for a counselor is typically in the $35,000-$55,000 range, of course varying by location. I feel a lot of people get into this line of work without a proper understanding of how stressful it is and how financially unrewarding it is (even psychologists around here average only $60,000/year- low for a PhD). A lot of well-meaning people give up on the field once they actually get into it.
While it might be possible to do the above jobs with a Masters in Psych, if counseling and mental health care are the kinds of job she wants she would be MUCH better off getting a Masters in Social Work, Clinical Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy etc...

Old 12-29-2015, 11:39 PM

289 posts, read 345,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
While it might be possible to do the above jobs with a Masters in Psych, if counseling and mental health care are the kinds of job she wants she would be MUCH better off getting a Masters in Social Work, Clinical Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy etc...
True. There is such a thing as a "master's in counseling" where I'm from. But even at that, a clinical social worker license carries you farther in some instances for the sheer fact that some government-funded medical programs (VA benefits, and I believe even Medicare and Medicaid) cannot bill services to anyone other than clinical social workers (although counseling organizations are lobbying to change that). So right there you have fewer job options. Other than that, I've seen a lot of companies are beginning to accept people with counseling licenses to do social work. They're becoming more interchangeable. BUT I'm talking about if you have the license. A master's in psych, social work, counseling- it doesn't mean jack without the state license to practice.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,855 posts, read 54,568,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
As was mentioned, I would consider the quantitative route. Our company hires those with advanced degrees in psychology and sociology to perform research and statistical studies. Consider I-O psychology. I wish I had heard of this when I was younger as I was interested in human behavior and psychology. I just wasn't so sure about other options beyond the clinical route.

You may have to expand your school choice options to find a good program. But these guys are in high demand. So finding a job once out will not be a problem. Only gotcha is you have to being willing to take more math/statistics classes and really learn the scientific method if you want to do research. That is also why they are in greater demand. They take the harder classes.

San Jose State's program: Industrial/Organizational Psychology | Psychology | San Jose State University

Derek
The OP's question "What can I do with a masters in psychology" makes me wonder what the goal is. Too many people try to make a career out of their degree(s) and not something that they are passionate about and have an aptitude for. Psychology is a good background for many jobs that require "a degree" in no particular major, due to the analytical nature of the studies and exploration of interpersonal relationships.
My undergraduate degree in Psychology was heavily weighted toward the organizational, change management, and motivation/learning. In graduate school it was clinical. I decided to go the business route and worked as a management analyst for a major utility, and now I'm a manager in a commercial/industrial real estate setting. Based on the data for master degree level counseling job pay, I'm making close to double that, and enjoy my work, especially now with a major reorganization going on here. For those that like helping individuals with personal problems, clinical could be a better route, but it takes years of experience and/or a PhD/PsyD to get to a really good salary.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:03 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,739,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

San Jose State's program: Industrial/Organizational Psychology | Psychology | San Jose State University

Derek
This is what I do. You can make very good money and the work is interesting. Starting salaries with an MS in I/O are typically in the 60-80k range depending on cost of living of where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or