Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:20 PM

455 posts, read 578,191 times

Advertisements

I work for a very large corp right now, and when I was interviewed I was asked questions relevant to the position. I understand asking questions and then breaking down the problem to come up with a solution.

But I was asked to explain in detail of a process. And this process means nothing to role I was interviewing for. When I was first asked the question, I was thinking ok this is weird but they probably just want to make sure I know what it is..... because if I don't that would be bad. But to dive in deep and explain the inter-workings was stupid.

I probably would have been able to answer the question straight out of college. But not touching it for 15 years, yeah right I can't answer that. And I told them that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 09:46 PM

1,188 posts, read 958,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
As for the OP - I agree with what others have mentioned, Its simply a control to prevent people from continuously applying for all openings.
Because that would be so horrible if I saw 10 positions that looked like a good fit and applied to all of them?

Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Because that would be so horrible if I saw 10 positions that looked like a good fit and applied to all of them?

If someone held out a plate with 10 different types of cookies on it and asked you to take your favorite one, are you the type to take them all because you like them all?

Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Actually yes. Lets say you are a good fit for one of them, this encourages you to pick the best fit, rather then them spending time interviewing you for all of them, only to have you accept one of them, wasting the other 9 managers time.

This is not a complex decision.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:39 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually yes. Lets say you are a good fit for one of them, this encourages you to pick the best fit, rather then them spending time interviewing you for all of them, only to have you accept one of them, wasting the other 9 managers time.

This is not a complex decision.
It's not a waste of time to apply to all available positions. Besides it's their job to interview, etc. Too many lazy hr/hm spending too much time trying to find ways to cut corners instead of simply doing their jobs.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
It's not a waste of time to apply to all available positions. Besides it's their job to interview, etc. Too many lazy hr/hm spending too much time trying to find ways to cut corners instead of simply doing their jobs.
Their job is to hire the best possible person for the position open as quickly as possible. Having to interview 100+ candidates is not practical, HR people have many jobs to fill, and hiring managers still have to do their regular work in addition to hiring. It may not be a waste of time for you to apply to many positions, but it is a waste of their time so they will take measures to prevent it, such as locking out. It also reduces your chances, if the hiring manager finds out that you have applied for multiple positions. First, the manager wants to hire someone that wants the job he/she has open, not someone just looking for any job. Second, someone applying for several positions could be considered by someone else a day or two before and cause more wasted time while waiting to see if they are still available. When this happened to me a few years ago, I just went ahead and selected someone else rather than wait to see if the other manager hired her.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:07 AM

455 posts, read 578,191 times
I agree that the manager wants someone that wants the job they have open. But there should be some balance. For example one open application at a time.

At very large companies, you can have very similar roles across many different business units.

So if you bomb with business unit A, but business unit B has a role and you fit all the requirements. I don't see why they shouldn't let you give it a shot.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:33 PM

881 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
I agree that the manager wants someone that wants the job they have open. But there should be some balance. For example one open application at a time.

At very large companies, you can have very similar roles across many different business units.

So if you bomb with business unit A, but business unit B has a role and you fit all the requirements. I don't see why they shouldn't let you give it a shot.
I worked at some of the biggest tech companies (100K to 40 K employees world wide). They don't usually "lock out" someone unless they don't meet the company's minimum requirements. There are candidates who didn't get a particular role they applied for, but were still considered for other roles in the company. Hiring manager have access to this pool of candidates in an internal database.

And these are companies that have tens of thousands of applications a month (if not a week), it's a waste of time to parse through every candidate that has already been reviewed and not deemed qualify based on the skills, and/or a cultural fit for the company. And to be really honest, most external hires (exception being new grad hires, which goes through a different hiring process) were not from people who applied, it's people who were recruited (i.e company recruiters approached THEM), or an internal referrals.

External candidate don't see why (and at what stage) they didn't meet the criteria. They just know they will not be moving along in the hiring process. It's not like they are banned FOREVER from applying, 6 months is a good amount of time to improve one's skills set and interview skills to improve their chances, if one is so set on working for a particular company.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:14 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
... because no one else would be doing the same thing, right?

Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Their job is to hire the best possible person for the position open as quickly as possible. Having to interview 100+ candidates is not practical, HR people have many jobs to fill, and hiring managers still have to do their regular work in addition to hiring. It may not be a waste of time for you to apply to many positions, but it is a waste of their time so they will take measures to prevent it, such as locking out. It also reduces your chances, if the hiring manager finds out that you have applied for multiple positions. First, the manager wants to hire someone that wants the job he/she has open, not someone just looking for any job. Second, someone applying for several positions could be considered by someone else a day or two before and cause more wasted time while waiting to see if they are still available. When this happened to me a few years ago, I just went ahead and selected someone else rather than wait to see if the other manager hired her.
Hm/hr's job is to hire the best person possible? Don't make me laugh, you people are intellectually incapable of doing so thus you hire the person that can talk a blue streak or sociopathically lie their way through the assessment tests and interview.
I am sick and tired of hr/hm arrogant asshats looking down their noses at people applying for any job so they can have an income again. Just who the hell do you people think you are anyway? Absolutely disgusting. Be proud of yourselves with your arrogance, laziness, incompetence, lying, and reliance on imbecilic assessment tests that prove nothing, you have destroyed the job hunting and hiring processes.
Before hr/hm people actually applied for jobs, got hired, and found ways to fit in with their coworkers. It's time all hm/hr were returned to the obscurity from which they came.

Last edited by jma501; 12-31-2015 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search