U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 11:12 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,063,377 times

Advertisements

Have an offer with a base of 50% more than I'm currently making.
Not enamored with my current company. It has a lot of warts and next year could be a really tough one for me when it comes to the commission side of things.
The new company is essentially a start up, so high-risk, high-reward.
Just having a tough time talking myself into going for the higher guarantee but higher risk.
Anyone have advice?
Merry Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 04:27 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,255,414 times
Hmmm. Sounds interesting, and kind of frustrating since it is kind of a hard choice.

I have been there a few times, though I am not in Sales. I'm in HR but attracted to newer, riskier companies.

I think that it is going to come down to what your risk tolerance is. How willing are you to risk a relatively stable job (albeit one you don't enjoy) for one that is going to likely be more enjoyable though not guranteed to be 100% stable? In all honesty, no job or company is guaranteed. I have taken roles at companies that were long-standing established manufacturers (my industry) and ended up being laid off when the darn factory closed down or got sent overseas a year or two later. So much for assuming that an established company would guarantee me a job, eh?

I usually look at what my financial situation is--do I have enough set aside just in case things don't work out? I take a look at the local job market just in case I need to find something else relatively quickly. Something else I consider is the company's potential both short-term and long-term. It's harder to see the long-term with start-ups in some cases but I like to look at what kind of plans they have for the future and if they are realistic. If your current company is not doing well, then that might also be a good sign it is time to leave. If nothing else, you could join the start up and look around if things start getting too intense.

I would say just consider your own risk tolerance, financial situation, and how easy/difficult it would be to find another role if this one didn't work out.

Good luck with the decision & Merry Christmas.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:27 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,399,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Have an offer with a base of 50% more than I'm currently making.
Not enamored with my current company. It has a lot of warts and next year could be a really tough one for me when it comes to the commission side of things.
The new company is essentially a start up, so high-risk, high-reward.
Just having a tough time talking myself into going for the higher guarantee but higher risk.
Anyone have advice?
Merry Christmas

Single and no kids? I'd jump.

Young and married with no kids? I'd jump.

Older and married with kids? It depends on whether I can financially take a hit in the worst-case scenario.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:50 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,544,804 times
50% more is tremendous. I'd take it and go for it at this point, especially if things don't look so good at the current employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or