Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 12:17 AM

285 posts, read 1,205,740 times

Advertisements

I want to live in a nice studio or 1 bedroom apartment and have job that is very easy to do and get to afford a nice studio or 1 bedroom apartment. Im tired of living with my parents its time for me to grow up. I still live with my parents I'm taking 2 classes in college but chosen to do it online. Im working 2 retail jobs to save up. Because I would want to live by myself in a nice and safe studio and or 1 bedroom apartment.

What jobs that are honestly very simple to do and have a salary where you can live off to have your own place? Ill be 25 VERY soon its time for me to grow up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 08:19 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
What kind of education do you have?

Old 12-27-2015, 08:38 AM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Part of growing up is accepting that "simple" should not be a prerequisite as to what you do.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:24 AM

902 posts, read 746,955 times
Simple how? Mentally? Physically?

Old 12-27-2015, 01:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
What jobs that are honestly very simple to do and have a salary where you can live off to have your own place? Ill be 25 VERY soon its time for me to grow up
Wouldn't that depends on what the cost of living is where you are and what skills/education you have to get such jobs if they exist?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:40 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times
I have a friend who's a personal trainer. She loves to work out, genuinely enjoys helping people, and gets paid well to do a job that she finds fun and easy. I would kill myself. Likely on a treadmill, if not by a self-inflicted wound because I would struggle with every part of her job. On the other hand, I love my job in accounting. I find it rewarding, get paid well, and look forward to going to work every day. My friend is very clear that on her first day doing my job, she would jump off of the parking deck head-first.

My point is, you need to figure out where the overlap is between what you enjoy doing and what you intellectually excel at. This is the job that you should do. Once you figure out the vocation, you then need to figure out what you need to do in order to live the life you want to live. So while my friend probably couldn't afford her lifestyle by just working at a gym, she got certified as a trainer and nutritionist and makes great money from that. I have lots of options in accounting. Bookkeeping/GL, accounts payable/receivable, and payroll are all low-stress areas in my field that pay enough for what you're looking for, and typically require little to no overtime or extra certification/degrees.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:47 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
I have a friend who's a personal trainer. She loves to work out, genuinely enjoys helping people, and gets paid well to do a job that she finds fun and easy. I would kill myself. Likely on a treadmill, if not by a self-inflicted wound because I would struggle with every part of her job. On the other hand, I love my job in accounting. I find it rewarding, get paid well, and look forward to going to work every day. My friend is very clear that on her first day doing my job, she would jump off of the parking deck head-first.

My point is, you need to figure out where the overlap is between what you enjoy doing and what you intellectually excel at. This is the job that you should do. Once you figure out the vocation, you then need to figure out what you need to do in order to live the life you want to live. So while my friend probably couldn't afford her lifestyle by just working at a gym, she got certified as a trainer and nutritionist and makes great money from that. I have lots of options in accounting. Bookkeeping/GL, accounts payable/receivable, and payroll are all low-stress areas in my field that pay enough for what you're looking for, and typically require little to no overtime or extra certification/degrees.
This is one of the best pieces of advice and guidance I have heard on here. Please do yourself a favor and listen to MainLineMommy's advice above. She has articulated what you should work toward. Don't just think in 'generic' terms like generally working at McDonalds is easy. Think in terms of what you may be more naturally good at and possibly even enjoy. Everyone has their own set unique gifts and skills which, if cultivated, can lead to something which is more enjoyable and even easier for them than someone else.

Part of the growing up process is to think first before taking any old job, explore possibilities, consider career options you are best suited for. Then make an informed decision working toward a goal whether that be a personal fitness trainer, accountant, etc...

If you simply need a basic job to live on your own while you figure all this stuff out, consider things like working at a market, nice restaurant, department store, etc... Check your local college's job placement center for local job postings for students. I got all kinds of jobs like that while in school.

Derek

Old 12-27-2015, 11:22 PM

472 posts, read 437,793 times
Security is a much easier job than retail and pays better too. My first job was in retail and I hated it. Had I been pointed towards security, I never would have bothered with retail as my first job. You can make a livable wage with security but nothing fancy but it doesn't sound like you necessarily expect that anyway. Security also generally gives you a lot of down time to continue searching for or developing whatever it is you are passionate about.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:37 PM

196 posts, read 175,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Security is a much easier job than retail and pays better too. My first job was in retail and I hated it. Had I been pointed towards security, I never would have bothered with retail as my first job. You can make a livable wage with security but nothing fancy but it doesn't sound like you necessarily expect that anyway. Security also generally gives you a lot of down time to continue searching for or developing whatever it is you are passionate about.

I got 27 college credits sitting a security desk. 40 hours a week and only half of that was actually doing any walking or logs. Plenty of time to write papers.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:16 PM

403 posts, read 472,708 times
Customer Service Rep for a Bank, Cable company, Electric Company, or Gas Company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search