Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:46 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times

Advertisements

This can't be a real post--tell me it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 03:50 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't think a zit is a good reason to stay home when you have a job but for an interview, even covering up a shaving nick is a bit of a ding. We all know things like these will happen BUT to an interviewer it can show lack of responsibility (to oneself) and make them wonder how they can handle tasks. That said, it is still a bad reason to cancel an interview but looks better than calling off.
how is getting a zit a sign that someone lacks personal responsibility?

Old 12-28-2015, 04:47 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
I think the OP has got the message by now - it was a stupid and immature thing to do. Patches403 has given you good advice for the next interview. Please print these instructions out (!) and adhere to them before you go to your next interview.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
You put waaaaaaaaaaaay too much thought into a job interview and the following process. You totally burned that bridge....it collapsed and it's extra crispy.

Plenty of people have lost loved ones....just about everyone has. You can let it ruin your holiday or you can move on with life. Yes, it's fine to reminisce, but don't let it take over your life.

You're an adult. Time to act like it.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:11 PM

101 posts, read 141,056 times
Don't understand your thinking at all. Should've put a band aid on the zit if it bothered you so much.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:38 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
About 20 minutes after the interview, which was on Dec. 22nd, I emailed the administrative assistant and asked to withdraw my application because I didn't want to get rejected on Dec. 23rd and have it ruin my Christmas (note: those weren't my exact words, but that was totally the reason why) When the administrative assistant emailed me back - she wasn't super polite..
Not polite because they just WASTED a bunch of time and probably money on someone that OBVIOUSLY doesn't want a job.

Unless you are VERY familiar with an area you ALWAYS make a "cold run" a day or more before your scheduled day, you KNOW the route, where you can park, where you need to enter the building, etc..

So NOW you get to think about they planned on hiring you but you quit before you were even hired.

These outrageous scenario threads are getting really "Interesting".... I like how the Mods here let people respond freely, many forums delete those posts and sometimes ban the person making the comment.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:50 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,897 times
Thought I'd add that being rejected for a job doesn't mean you've been rejected as a person. It could be that the company selected someone else who was a better match and/or you may not have fit their particular needs at that time. Sometimes less qualified people could even be selected over more qualified people for financial or longevity reasons.

Point being that even if you had waited to see what happened, if you had been rejected, it wouldn't have meant you yourself were actually being rejected. Companies also usually take a long time to send rejection letters, if they do it at all.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:39 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Did you ever think that the person ahead of you, may have been an ideal candidate for another position, and the follow up appointment may have been for all together different job? This would have required another interview. I have had this happen years ago. I applied for a sales job, and ended up hired as the sales manager for a division. In today's dollars about $50,000 more a year than the job I applied for.

I hired a lot of people when back in the corporate world.

Best advice I can give you.

After you have had your interview, assume you will not get the job and go home and not worry about it. If/when you are called to fill out your contract/paper work for the job, you get the job. If you do not get it, then you are not going to worry about it as you have not set yourself up to worry if you are going to get it or not.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:56 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As an employer, I have had candidates who we have invested time and resources in who have asked to be removed from consideration, yet they are still eligible to apply for open positions. As I said before, the reason you gave as to why you wanted to be remove from consideration is a key element in how they will treat you going forwards. If you gave them some whacked out loonie reason like not wanting to be rejected before Christmas, you have zero chance of that company or any of their subsidiaries or divisions ever considering you. But, if you gave a rational mature explanation related to the position and requirements, you still may have a chance.

So, nobody can say for sure you are out of the running until we know what you told them as the reasons.
^^^

Old 12-29-2015, 02:02 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Hello,

I applied for a job - there was a ton of paperwork to check my background, an exam I had to take, and then an interview. They were hiring a number of people, but I'm not sure how many. The interview was super easy -it was supposed to be a panel interview, but there were only two people AND they were super nice, so it wasn't really a panel interview, at least not the type I am used to.

I was only there for probably 30 minutes, however, when I left, then didn't schedule any follow-up, like they did with the person before me, instead they told me they would let me know tomorrow (Dec. 23rd).

sooooo, at that point, I assumed that I didn't get it the job OR that they needed further discussion - like I wasn't going to be their first choice for one of the slots.. About 20 minutes after the interview, which was on Dec. 22nd, I emailed the administrative assistant and asked to withdraw my application because I didn't want to get rejected on Dec. 23rd and have it ruin my Christmas (note: those weren't my exact words, but that was totally the reason why) When the administrative assistant emailed me back - she wasn't super polite.. side story: when I was a junior in college, I applied for something, didn't get it, and then I went home for Christmas break, I thought it totally ruined it.. I mean, it was such a bummer.

OH, another thing: I pretty much wanted to cancel the interview because I had a huge zit. I mean HUGE. It was difficult for me to feel confident that day because I felt that I couldn't put my best face forward, literally. Then I also couldn't decide what I wanted to wear....then I realized I didn't really know where the interview was and there was a typo on the directions they gave me...then I tried to print out their specific instructions and my printer cartridge ran out of ink (of course!)...Then I couldn't find parking, it was snowballing into a terrible morning. I got there *right on the dot* but I wasn't early-- which I think kind of looks bad.

1) Do you think that I burned the bridge? Should I just have waited for them to reject me? I didn't want to get rejected right before Christmas!

There is another location hiring for which I would have a completely separate interview and application process, I think that I would prefer to work for them, partially because they pay better for the same job ($8,000 more per year) That would make me feel better financially. I just didn't want to get rejected from above job, you know...

2) Do you think interviewers can tell if you have any hesitancy about the job. Like say, if you're not super excited about the salary (which is just a set amount, not up for negotiation)

Thank you.

This folks is the future of our *super* nation. Aren't you excited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search