Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:23 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
I just didn't want it to ruin my holiday!! I mean, mark my holiday...like the entire time I would be thinking, "I can't believe I didn't get that job..." Of course, now I will not know what they thought of me.

Is there anything else I can do at this point, or is it just too late?
Well it's after Christmas and clearly you're worried about it, so how'd that work out for ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 03:03 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
I just didn't want it to ruin my holiday!! I mean, mark my holiday...like the entire time I would be thinking, "I can't believe I didn't get that job..." Of course, now I will not know what they thought of me.

Is there anything else I can do at this point, or is it just too late?
Sooooo......you potentially ruined your working life to feel good on a day. One day.

Wow.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside01 View Post
Okay, true enough to the people who posted after me, but what about in my scenario? Was there really anything lost when I ignored my certified mail rejection letter from a company? After all, I'd already received a pre-Christmas phonecall preaching from the hiring manager about how I wasn't qualified enough. He then proceeded to call up my direct manager (at the small office I was already employed at, which was planning the merger with the much bigger company) and complain to him about me, about how my manager should have never tried to send me their way. It was pretty obvious that I was getting rejected, and even my own direct manager said that. So in a way, I DID get a rejection right before the holidays. I guess the reason why I purposely evaded picking up that certified mail rejection letter from the post office was because I wanted to convey the message that I was snubbing them back, and not investing a minute more into a company that decided I wasn't qualified after I'd invested time in their unpaid information sessions, not even to go on an errand to the post office. Yes, I did it to be spiteful along with also doing it to be self-preserving of my insecure, delicate self. But was there really any "bad" to me snubbing the rejection letter?
Absolutely not. The letter was just for their records and you didn't 'owe' them any tidy records at that point. I wouldn't have wasted time on the letter either, as long as I was sure of the contents (and I wasn't missing out on a severance check or anything). I'm glad they sent it in a way that you had the option to "return to sender".

Old 12-30-2015, 01:33 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside01 View Post
Okay, true enough to the people who posted after me, but what about in my scenario? Was there really anything lost when I ignored my certified mail rejection letter from a company? After all, I'd already received a pre-Christmas phonecall preaching from the hiring manager about how I wasn't qualified enough. He then proceeded to call up my direct manager (at the small office I was already employed at, which was planning the merger with the much bigger company) and complain to him about me, about how my manager should have never tried to send me their way. It was pretty obvious that I was getting rejected, and even my own direct manager said that. So in a way, I DID get a rejection right before the holidays. I guess the reason why I purposely evaded picking up that certified mail rejection letter from the post office was because I wanted to convey the message that I was snubbing them back, and not investing a minute more into a company that decided I wasn't qualified after I'd invested time in their unpaid information sessions, not even to go on an errand to the post office. Yes, I did it to be spiteful along with also doing it to be self-preserving of my insecure, delicate self. But was there really any "bad" to me snubbing the rejection letter?
Yes, because you didn't know exactly what was in the letter unless it said "reject letter enclosed" on the outside of it. You said merger, do you were already employed by this company, if so it could have been a severance package with a time limit for you to reply. It could have also been COBRA to extend your medical coverage which also has a time limit if you don't reply. If could have been a letter about your pension and/or 401(k). Or your last paycheck. But you refusing to accept it did nothing for you. Also, if you go to unemployment you might need the information that was in there to support your case. You didn't show them anything, because the clerk who mailed it will just throw it away. It isn't like they are going to have a meeting about it and the managers you mentioned will even know about it. What you need to do, is call the company, and explain you made a mistake by not accepting the letter and for them to kindly re-send it to you.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:12 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
Could have ignored a job offer somewhere else within the company .. "unqualified for the merger" BECAUSE they have extra training? That doesn't even make any sense.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:42 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Did you ever think that maybe they would have called to tell you that you were hired on Dec 23, and then you would have had a great Christmas? In order to avoid being rejected at an inopportune time, you "rejected" yourself at that same inopportune time. It makes no sense. You were still without a job at a Christmas, same result. Really, really silly. Truly beyond silly. Not to mention you wasted the time of two "super nice" people and all the folks from HR who spent time vetting your resume/application before offering the interview to you. This company is much better off without someone with such poor judgement and disregard for other people's time effort. Please don't waste the time of others by applying for jobs you don't intend to take.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:37 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Did you ever think that maybe they would have called to tell you that you were hired on Dec 23, and then you would have had a great Christmas? In order to avoid being rejected at an inopportune time, you "rejected" yourself at that same inopportune time. It makes no sense. You were still without a job at a Christmas, same result. Really, really silly. Truly beyond silly. Not to mention you wasted the time of two "super nice" people and all the folks from HR who spent time vetting your resume/application before offering the interview to you. This company is much better off without someone with such poor judgement and disregard for other people's time effort. Please don't waste the time of others by applying for jobs you don't intend to take.
I agree. That was incredibly stupid of the OP to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search